Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By philball1974
This may go down like a lead balloon as it is totally off genre, but here goes.

Satyricon - 1969
The music of Carlo Rustichelli for Bruno Nicolai
Cinevox DLP 1049
Spanish Pressing

Flutes, harps, violins campness

Federico Fellini compares the wild, rebellious pleasure-seeking and ultimately meaningless antics of '60s youth with those of 1st century A.D. Rome in this surreal, absurdist outing that is based upon the writings of ancient Roman writer Petronius.

I've loved this soundtrack for a long time, and is still one of my favourite scores to conjure up feelings of first watching the film, which if you haven't seen it is Fallini's historical drama full of debauchery, violence and black comedy about Ancient Rome.

The soundtrack is a lot of fun and has a mixture of music running through it from classical Roman harps and flutes to Hawaiian influences to sounding like Lord of the Flies or a Latin Private school chant.Its a real oddball mix of styles, mostly in something of a hipper comedic 60s style – but with some fairly elegant touches, too! Strangely, there's some echoey guitars that almost make it sound like a Hawaiian setting, with lots of cool drums, organs, horns, strings and all around inventive orchestrations.

I totally love it

Tracklist
A1 Satyricon 2:24
A2 Minuetto Flautato 1:56
A3 Qualche Ora Romantica 0:43
A4 Quant' Abbondanza C'È 1:37
A5 Saltellato 1:42
A6 Risveglio Di Primavera 1:28
A7 Ricerca Degli Spazi 0:53
A8 Isola Incantata 2:19
B1 Erotycon 2:06
B2 Prima Del Giorno 1:35
B3 Trimalcione 1:17
B4 Notte Araba 1:25
B5 Fiori Di Mandorlo 1:02
B6 Blues Antico 2:09
B7 Gloria Al Sole 1:35
B8 Arcipelago 2:01

Not many youtube clips I could find but here is a taster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8oZDlCvIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FzOh4ZDqig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV_V-PUPzWE

Ill pass the baton to @MonsterWorship
By freshoj
great choice, looking forward to digging in on this later.
By Macready
Good to see a Fellini movie getting some love on the forum, Phil.

I'm more familiar with Nino Rota's scores, but I think there's a broad similarity in tone and in the mix of styles you mention - playful almost camp one minute, then really elegant the next.

The title music in the first sample probably works less well ouside of the context of the movie for me, but the others are right up my street and I love the almost abstract way he has approached the music in those pieces.

Risveglio Di Primavera is very pretty indeed, but Erotycon is totally enchanting - like a strangely inverted version of Amarcord played on ghostly slide guitar. Lovely.
By deathwaltz
Phil
this aint a horror forum and most of us are not 14 year old gorehounds so I think this a welcome addition :)
Good to see non genre stuff getting posted .. this has never massively floated my boat but i'm happy to give it another listen on your reccomendation.
By philball1974
Ha! No it isn't a horror forum, you're right.

You should definitely give it another go. Not an everyday listen, but its a really playful record with its mix of styles. Could give Rocky Horror a run for its money in some of the camper sections!
By freshoj
Phil, I am definitely enjoying this - more than I thought I would.

Funny that the Erotycon clip mentions Nicolai in the title and not Rustichelli!
By philball1974
Glad you like it John.

I have the Spanish pressing of this, and it says Dirigida por Bruno Nicolai (Directed by Bruno Nicolai) which I assume means he was the conductor?

Maybe a Spanish speaking member can clarify that?

"Musica de Carlo Rustichelli dirigida por Bruno Nicolai"
By freshoj
Yup, that's my understanding as well. This isn't the first time I've seen folks list something as Nicolai that he 'directed.'

Buyer beware on ebay when something is listed as a Nicolai record - not that him directing is bad, just deceptive advertising to imply it is his music. Funny, they never feel the need to omit Morricone's name from the title, but Carpi?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRUNO-NICOLAI-O ... 1c4930f038
By Dollarhyde
Enjoying this, reminds me a little of elements from nino rota's music for fellini's Toby Dammit. Shame there are not more youtube clips.

I Like the fact this is a record that can be got at a cheap price, aswell as one that is not talked about. hopefully will see more like this in future deep cuts.
By ghostfires
Thanks for posting this one, Phil. I would have easily passed on it judging the cover at a record shop, but getting to listen in on it after your write up - I love the various, and fairly rare, instruments used, they sound great within this recoding together.

Weirdness for weirdness sake can get old quick, but organized weirdness under the guise of 'normal' can sound really great, and I think that's where this fits in to me, so thank you again for bringing it to my attention!
By bansel
Phil you hit on a good point on it conjuring up feelings from watching the movie. Having watched this film several times in film class back in the day, I really enjoy this because it takes me back to the movie. I don't own this and have never listened to it as a stand alone but I think I will try to pick this up for the nostalgia maybe
By soundtracks of fear
Nice one Phil, always been intrigued by this one myself but have always been outbid on evil bay. Like the samples though!
By philball1974
Loving the fact you guys are digging this one! Definitely one a lot of people would pass on, especially as @ghost says, the cover is a bit off putting!
By soundtracks of fear
Album covers do put me off buying
this one ^^^ although the music is fantastic!
I like the cover of Satyricon you have. The font's awesome, and the imagery conjures up images of Caligula meets Xena. Anyone seen the movie?
If you like the Hawaiian tracks you should listen to the Exotic moods of Les Baxter - love this cover, wish it was available on Vinile