Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deathwaltz
Dimensione Violenza (a.k.a Savage Zone)
by Daniele Patucchi
released on Cinevox 1984
Cat number
MDF33164
Recorded at Trafalgar Recording Studios - Roma
Used instruments: Fairlight CMI Computer, Minimoog, Polymoog, Oberheim OBX A, Fender Rhodes 88, Linn Computer Drum II, Piano Stenway, Electric Piano Yamaha CP 80, Gibson 12 strings, Fender jazz bass.

Super rare Mondo Film
here are the opening titles NSFW
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxEwKuTPw20[/video]

Daniele Patucchi is someone that doesn't really get his due , and yet his work is pretty incredible , he has a knack for crafting super downtempo moody synth jams as well as outrageously cheesy 80's synth pop (listen to Turbo Time) he scored Wild beasts and well he really should be on more peoples radar....
I love this score and want moe people to love it too !

Squali Nel Mar Rosso
side 2 track 4
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpykLLJBW9E[/video]

This is just fucking brilliant , glacial synths (I think Wolves in The Throne Room listened to this ) just the right side of moody . Its very simple but very , very effective.

Reduci Dal Viet-Nam
Side 1 track 3
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL5g-zjXYo4[/video]
Oh man, so smokey and woozy, perfect for late night walks when it's been raining . This is such a beatuiful arrangement.

Sculture Sulla Sabbia
Side 1 track 1
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz34PgZ5JAk[/video]

Another great mellow theme , which would be perfect for sipping cocktails to with you lady (or gent) of choice.

Isola Del Sogno
Side 1 track 5

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osuqKeSrmQU[/video]
A variation of the main theme.

Bella Blu
Side 1 track 4
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhXNAxKdF8[/video]
This is why I love Patucchi he just casually throws this into the mix like it aint no thing .
I often throw this into dj sets when I play as it usually confuses but always gets a reaction ... well at least a smile !

Main Title
Side 2 track 2
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsrokxpn5Ac[/video]

Holy balls - listen to this , the synth drums , the synth sax , in fact all the synths...
This screams 42nd Street sleeze to me ... dreamy sleeze of the highest order

Fratellanza
Side 1 track 2
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhALEP2FLxk[/video]
Pretty basic synth track but it is chock full of mood and the little stabs and echo really make this ...

Jogging A Miani Beach (their spelling mistake not mine)
Side 2 track 3
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c0tHUH ... a0&index=7[/video]

super fun fairground ditty based around the main theme motif.

Caccia In Palide
side 2 track 5
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d86aBfF ... a0&index=9[/video]

Super chill version of Main Title.

Well I banged this out pretty quick so sorry for the dumb descriptions, I am super busy but I thought this would be cool to do.
By deathwaltz
I Nominate Philball next ....
By freshoj
now THIS is what I am talking about - thanks Spencer!!!
By The Cult Leader
Good one Spencer!
While looking at Daniele Patucchi's - Sharks and Men soundtrack, I stumbled on to this and was pretty impressed when listing to what I could find on youtube. Added to my wantlist although any copies I did seem to find on discogs or the bay were pretty expensive.
By zuko
Wow, Squali Nel Mar Rosso is amazing! Got a real Onehotrix Point Never vibe.
By deathwaltz
Yeah I really love this record.
By jdubtxn
Any info on if something like this is going to be released again. This is the type of stuff I would love to have a copy of.
By deathwaltz
We have some Patucchi next year but not this one.
By freshoj
(trying really hard to not be a crawly bumlick right now in response to that little tidbit ^^^)
By phantomnoir
Thank you for this find! This is a great soundtrack.

Re: Patucchi reissues on DW... fingers crossed for Metralleta Stein!!
By bansel
This is great. I have Turbo Time and it's on regular rotation, I love it. I need to expand my Patucchi horizons.
By static14
This is really great stuff. It's a shame the album is so pricey. I will check out the movie though :)
By freshoj
Spence, do you remember where/how you procured your copy? I love a good 'how I finally scored a copy of X' story - even it is just 'I finally ponied and bought at foo.com.'

As far as the cost of this (and probably a lot of the forthcoming deep cuts), I am definitely at a point in my collection where I'd rather spend more on a record that I really really want than less on one I don't want as much (i.e. I'd rather have 1 record I LOVE than 3 records I like).

For example, a bunch of folks spent a hefty sum this week to get the two DW Xmas records shipped overseas, for that same amount one could find a minty copy of a lot of very cool OG soundtracks. When spending my limited dollars, I have to ask myself which will I treasure more in the long run. (no offense Spence :))

And granted, the more interesting Patucchi records fetch a lot more than the cost of two DW records, but you catch my drift (and my desperate attempt to justify my own (over)spending).
By freshoj
(and don't get me wrong, I want those xmas records *and* whatever orig OST I have my eye on at the moment, but I just can't afford both right now)
By freshoj
actually, looks like this can be had in the neighborhood of the cost to ship two DW xmas records shipped overseas:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch. ... za&x=0&y=0

so, deep cut newbies, fear not!

sorry for the scattershot ramblings that aren't really about the awesomeness of the Patucchi score we are here to discuss (who let me on this board?!).

clearly I can't speak intelligently about music (especially the music I love it seems), so I resort to speaking about collecting.
By phantomnoir
[quote=41279]As far as the cost of this (and probably a lot of the forthcoming deep cuts), I am definitely at a point in my collection where I’d rather spend more on a record that I really really want than less on one I don’t want as much (i.e. I’d rather have 1 record I LOVE than 3 records I like).
[/quote]

I hear you jmctodo!
By jdubtxn
That actually is always a debate I have going on in my head. Buy 2-3 reissues of great stuff or save up and buy one awesome but expensive original. Unfortunately I usually buy reissues just because most of the hard to find soundtracks seem to be in Italy, France and Germany. But I have been burned way to many times with grading. I will say this if I find a copy in Japan I don't hesitate to purchase. I bought all the Japanese pressing of Goblin's stuff and it's all in beautiful shape.
By Dollarhyde
Im all hazy after doing a stint of night shifts, just sunk a beer and this is chilling me the fuck out. Mind melting.

First track reminded me weeny bit of the 'fez' videogame ost, which somebody mentioned on here before.

Will be on the look out for this one.
By Spun out of control
A new discovery for me this one, so cheers for making the effort @deathwaltz

I wonder if the reason why some of these cuts are sounding so fresh is because synth music has dated remarkably well ... or whether it's more because a lot of modern acts are going out of their way to sound retro?

Discuss...

By DISCOSUCKS...
Hmmm.....okay, finally had a chance to check out the DCR2 samples -- many thanks to Mr DW for sharing!

I'm going to be a bit devil's advocate with this one guys...it's not for me. I've always drawn the line on the "cheesier" end of synth stuff around the early-to-mid-80s and as the Fairlight hit the streets. Granted, that's not a hard and fast rule (I forgave Thomas Dolby a bit, and there wouldn't have been a Heaven 17 or YMO without it, for starters!), but mostly it goes straight to my pain-receptor when I hear that synth brass, strings etc. It takes a very talented composer and arranger to make that bit of kit into a pleasant sound for me, usually when it's expertly combined with analog synths or real orchestration (ie Kate Bush)

Of course, pleasant is probably the last thing on the mind of an Italian mondo/horror composer of this era! I like that this score is a mix of primitive and lush, and imagine it gives the movie a memorably weird and queezy texture - like the score for Cannibal Holocaust, the faux-romanticism playing against the often extremity of the images. I guess that was the deal with a lot of Mondo movies - like Mondo Cane set the tone in a way. As a side note - just WTF was going on in Italy during the late 70s/80s anyway?? Someone must have written a dissertation on post WWII Italian cinema as an existential art therapy for it's former fascist descent.....

Summing up - although I can appreciate the compositions here, I can rarely imagine I'd be in the mood to listen to this for fun, and that's almost exclusively down to the sound palette. I guess I'm just not a cheap sleeze/fake romantic kinda guy on the whole ;) *

So there you go - thought it would be fun to throw in a voice of dissent (and a little provocation at the end there if you fancy taking the bait, haha) so this isn't just a thread about endlessly responding with "yeah, great score, hope it gets a reissue so I can add to my collection". Hope at least one of you even partially agrees, or I'm truly boned and sat alone in the proverbial corner - Billy-no-mates! - on this one.

* having said that, I absolutely adore Vangelis' score for Bitter Moon (and think the film is genius!), which this score actually reminds me of in places - again, a more primitive version. BM is filled to the brim with cheesy fake romanticism and crappy synth brass, yet it works insanely well with the themes of the movie. Maybe that's what it really boils down to with this kind of score - have you seen the film? Do you have super fond memories of discovering it? Does the score have an additional resonance for that reason? That's certainly the case for me with Bitter Moon, as I can well imagine listening to it with my GF and having a big blissful, ironic smile on my face, while she scowls and finally asks through gritted teeth, eyeing me suspiciously as though she's finally considering that I might actually be a weirdo sleazebag: "What the fuck is this shit??" :P
By philball1974
Nicely put together post and review of the music. Classic soundtrack, I love a lot of those synth soundtracks from the 80s before I got more into modern classical scores.

Don't own this one on vinyl and its currently on my discogs wish list.
By freshoj
"I wonder if the reason why some of these cuts are sounding so fresh is because synth music has dated remarkably well … or whether it’s more because a lot of modern acts are going out of their way to sound retro?"

My 2 cents on this as an old fart who remembers this style of music from the first time it came around, is that this stuff has not aged especially well, it is just that a lot of modern acts are going out of their way to sound retro.

This stuff sounds *very* dated to me. Luckily, I like that. (though I didn't like it when it was new!)
By Spun out of control
My thinking was that with bands digging out analogue synths to add that warmer feel to the electronic music (and soundtracks) being made today, certain older stuff starts sounding more 'contemporary' as a result, as we're used to hearing those sounds again...

Or I could just be an old git feeling nostalgic :)
By phantomnoir
I don't think it sounds dated.

This one does... badly.

By DISCOSUCKS...
I don't see any fault in this logic, @Spun. Contemporary is the new retro! (or vice versa?!)