Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
You read my mind, was thinking about this instead of gumming up the waxwork thread.

^love silver bullet. Recently got a nice Blu-ray release here from shout and I’m hoping Dead Zone is forthcoming since those always seem to travel together
I have seen Silver Bullet once as a lad and again between five and ten years ago. I don't have many memories of the film outside of Busey being pretty manic. Now, I will watch this again since we are all in an SK frame of mind, but I don't think I liked the film. In fact, I recall being a bit bored during it. Anyone else have a similar expecience with this movie or was I just having an off day?
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:46 pm I have seen Silver Bullet once as a lad and again between five and ten years ago. I don't have many memories of the film outside of Busey being pretty manic. Now, I will watch this again since we are all in an SK frame of mind, but I don't think I liked the film. In fact, I recall being a bit bored during it. Anyone else have a similar expecience with this movie or was I just having an off day?
Boo, sir - boo!!

No truthfully, that's fair enough. It's really quite goofy, SK's own script is full of many howlers (esp. the sub-Stand By Me narration...) and the wolfouts vary from subtle and really effective to pretty rough. I'm sure there is some behind scenes tale (Evan??) about competing fx teams or something.
And yet... and yet... on top of winning performances from Haim, Busey, Everett McGill, Terry O'Quinn and Megan Follows, not to mention Chattaway's 'better than it needs to be' classic orchestral/synth score, the movie does have a really 'off' black humour that I enjoy every time. Im not entirely sure the director has such a great handle on the humour, it may just be King, but it's there and it has a very odd, underplayed tone. Plus it has that hazy, super widescreen, sortof-Italian looking Cinemascope lensing that all of DeLaurentis King films seem to have? (the DOP on this one was actually Italian and Id bet dollars to donuts he also at least shot Maximum Overdrive if not a few others...) I will practically watch ANY Scope horror flick from the 80s, and find aesthetic enjoyment ;)

One aside - do you guys know the tragic story about director Dan Attias son David? In the early 2000s he went 'insane' (the verdict reflected as much) and commited vehicular manslaughter during a crazy spree where four people died. Terrible stuff.
I'd quite forgotten how strong the supporting cast was and I will cop to loving the look of the film; that should've ibeen ncluded that in my original post. It's back in the queue.
By Hatter313
Silver bullet is the perfect example of silly material that is hugely aided by the talent involved.

@scojo That pet semetary doc is great, have you seen the creepshow one, Just Desserts? In the pantheon of great horror docs of the last ten years (which is shockingly quite a robust genre) it’s probably my favorite
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:54 pm Silver bullet is the perfect example of silly material that is hugely aided by the talent involved.

@scojo That pet semetary doc is great, have you seen the creepshow one, Just Desserts? In the pantheon of great horror docs of the last ten years (which is shockingly quite a robust genre) it’s probably my favorite
I've seen them before, both exhaustive and fantastic!
By inksb
I feel like an outcast in the horror fandom when it comes to docs, it seems everyone loves documentaries about this stuff and for me I find it hard to muster up any excitement for them. I've seen Never Sleep Again, Crystal Lake Memories and Just Desserts, all of which I loved and thought were exhaustive yet entertaining experiences. But I read and listened to a lot of interviews from horror icons over the years and when I sit down to start watching a new doc I always feel like some one is regurgitating something that's already been said many times before. I do appreciate the more film focused docs more because you tend to find some new stuff sprinkled in. Admittedly I'm not a huge documentary person in general so it's a challenge for me to get excited to watch one to begin with.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:10 pm I feel like an outcast in the horror fandom when it comes to docs, it seems everyone loves documentaries about this stuff and for me I find it hard to muster up any excitement for them. I've seen Never Sleep Again, Crystal Lake Memories and Just Desserts, all of which I loved and thought were exhaustive yet entertaining experiences. But I read and listened to a lot of interviews from horror icons over the years and when I sit down to start watching a new doc I always feel like some one is regurgitating something that's already been said many times before. I do appreciate the more film focused docs more because you tend to find some new stuff sprinkled in. Admittedly I'm not a huge documentary person in general so it's a challenge for me to get excited to watch one to begin with.

I do find you hear a lot of the same stories if you watch a bunch of them. For me I just love behind the scenes stuff so all of these really checks box for me. The director fo just desserts is also behind a lot of the ones you’ll find on about factory and arrow and other releases just not as stand alones, like Swallowed Souls on evil dead 2 or it’s all in the family on TCM2, both awesome feature length making ofs that didn’t get the solo treatment of Just desserts

To me it’s cool to just hear the people making the things we love talk about them the way we do, I could listen to Savini talk about making movies for HOURS. The doc on him was great too, I think it was on shudder.
By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:44 pm might be of interest, seems like it should be longer
Video Works
I was going to include tales form the darkside in my ranking, but i wasn't sure given its just one story. (i've talked about this before but the opening scene and all of the frame story is filmed in my town, the opening shot is literally the view from the coffee shop i spend time in)
By Hatter313
I'm rewatching Silver Bullet right now, and there are flashes of perfection in this movie. the final product is fun but uneven...but oh man there are portions, like when Janey is looking for who has one eye, or the hunt in the swamp, or Lowe's dream sequence that are nearly part of a truly great piece of genre filmmaking.

I think some of the best stuff here is leftover from when Coscarelli was directing, as it has that weird small town vibe he captures so perfectly in Phantasm, i'd love to track down if theres an in depth breakdown of what was his and what was finished later with Attias taking over. my base understanding is that Coscarelli actually filmed all the non werewolf portions before quitting, but I don't know if Attias reshot anything.

Busey is truly a great character in this, loads of fun and earnest without being saccharine.

Kings schlockier stuff works better for me sometime, when he leans into his love of EC comics and pulp Americana is when it really clicks for me, Obvisouly to no greater effect than Creepshow, and this is one of those where it really just feels like a big horror comic come to life. (I guess its a given that it sort of is since the original novel was fully illustrated by Wrightson. )

I've got a lot to say about the above vibe...i've been working on a book about it on and off for the better part of a decade, and its ever finished i'll know my work is done haha.
By Hatter313
Bahahaha, you know what’s funny is I didn’t even register that the reason I felt like watching it specifically today is because of the start of this thread until like an hour ago
By tim28212
i finally broke down and purchased this book cover poster art from Suntup Editions when they had a rare, 20% off sale. It's one of my favorite Stephen King book covers. The picture really doesn't do it justice. The real thing is awesome. hopefully I wont wait forever to get it framed.
Attachments
P5154277.JPG
P5154277.JPG (142.93 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
By deafmetal
@tim - Great print. It looks amazing in full without the titles or additional text. I read the Suntup write-up about Don Brautigam paving the way with heavy black ink paperback covert artwork in the late 70's/early 80's and that one is quite stunning. I also like his following artwork for The Dark Half which is done in a similar style:

By Hatter313
I have a t shirt of that dark half cover (and one of the night shift paperback) that fright rags did years ago.

That’s a great piece Tim, I think they used it as the cover of a HUGE art book from awhile back of all the covers and “inspired by” art. I’ll check the stacks when I get home but I’m 99% sure they use that one for either the cover or the slip.
By tim28212
That Dark Half print would definitely make a nice campion piece. Somehow I missed it when I purchased The Stand. Doubling up would have helped with shipping, not to mention the 20% off. I may have to consider a small print sometime down the road.