Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By J.R.
Just thought I share a little story about me managing to happen upon a ticket to Goblin at the Sydney Metro in Australia a few years ago. A mate of mine decided to cheat on his wife and so he ended up with a spare ticket to see Goblin.

I jumped on that very quick!

The show was amazing! The stage set up was a keyboard on either side facing each other, and the bass, guitar and drums in the middle, with space for extra performers, such as a therimen player who played on a couple of tracks. Pretty much well all the best known soundtrack tracks were played, and it was a great show.

Off the stage, two highlights included a particularly hot Goth girl, who was probably barely 20, dressed like Harley Quinn crossed with Baby Firefly, who either jumped up and down to the songs she knew or selfied/ hashtagged at every opportunity; and an opportunity to see fellow horror fans whom I had not seen in several months... years in a couple of cases!!

I walked out of there totally satisfied with the show, and with a New Goblin Live and Dracula 3D soundtracks (CD unfortunately) under my arm... and perhaps a warm glow of bourbon in my belly.

It was a great night and well worth the money. If you get an opportunity to see Goblin live, take it!!
By deafmetal
@JR - Great post. I somehow missed this when you originally wrote it.

I was also privileged enough to see the reunited Goblin (aka New Goblin) perform in 2013 in Portland, Oregon. This show was on the first leg of the US tour, which included Morante, Guarini, Simonetti, Previtali and Tani. The show was sold out, and people were begging for tickets at the door. I was able to make somebody's night by selling them an extra ticket at face value. The atmosphere overall was electric, as this was Goblin's first-ever US tour. The crowd was a great mix of folks, with solid representation by the local horror and metal fans as well.

I caught the tail-end of the opening set by Secret Chiefs 3, which was excellent (pretty sure I heard a cover of a Morricone track from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly). Goblin took their time getting warmed up, and people started to get pretty excited. The venue was your typical rock club with an open dance floor, and it filled up quickly.
They played a lot of their well-known tracks with live projection from the films going on behind the band. The sequence from Zombi to Suspiria to Tenebre was probably the biggest hit of the night. Simonetti was interacting with the crowd pretty well, and kept the energy up. It was one of the best shows I have experienced, and was certainly the highlight of that year for me. I picked up a gig poster by We Buy Your Kids that was signed by the whole band. It has been hanging up in my living room ever since.

Also, the live album from Rome is great if you want to feel like re-living this tour:
http://www.discogs.com/New-Goblin-Live- ... ter/677876
Both these posts are great.

Still find the various current touring/recording iterations of Goblin confusing - there are 2 or 3 separate bands, right (?) - the version in these pics doesn't match Simonetti's Goblin I saw at the Barbican in London last year - basically Simonetti with some younger (presumably session) guys. Still, the more Goblin the merrier I guess!
By Mateo Sanboval
Spun out of control wrote:Both these posts are great.

Still find the various current touring/recording iterations of Goblin confusing - there are 2 or 3 separate bands, right (?) - the version in these pics doesn't match Simonetti's Goblin I saw at the Barbican in London last year - basically Simonetti with some younger (presumably session) guys. Still, the more Goblin the merrier I guess!
Agreed on both counts. Great stories from both of you and I definitely saw the "original" Goblin in Seattle a couple of years back when DWRC release the tour EP. There have been so many incarnations of this band, especially recently. I saw them in the same incarnation as Deaf did, but Maurizio Guarini had hair when he played in Seattle and he looks bald in your picture. either way, it was a great show. Thanks for sharing, lads.
By deafmetal
The line-ups for New Goblin are definitely confusing, especially since they used a different line-up for all three legs of the US tour. This might help:
Goblin Wikipedia article

The group currently touring is Simonetti's Goblin, which is Simonetti with his Daemonia band from what I have heard. I would really be surprised if the remaining original members reunite again, but you never know.

@Mateo - That was the same leg of the tour for the Seattle show. Maurizio Guarini is definitely bald, but perhaps he was wearing a wig that night (or somebody filled in). :) Btw, the gig poster by Godmachine for the Seattle show is fantastic:
By Hatter313
the NYC show of that tour got canceled the week of and i'm still pretty bitter about it. :(

Edit, it was the 2014 tour, my mistake. grr. one day maybe :)
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - That was the same leg of the tour for the Seattle show. Maurizio Guarini is definitely bald, but perhaps he was wearing a wig that night (or somebody filled in). :) Btw, the gig poster by Godmachine for the Seattle show is fantastic:
It was definitely Guarini. His features are unmistakable. Looks like Rip Torn is on keyboards. He may have been wearing a beanie or a wig. I remember hair so perhaps it was a wig? I do remember seeing pictures from later on the tour and he was bald and thinking mid-tour is an odd time to shave one's head. Not really that important. The show was killer and my Concert Buddy went home with one of those posters.