Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
So, for those who missed it (where were ya?) last Sunday night this happened….

We were joined by not one but two generations of the Frizzi family for a STBC group viewing of Lucio Fulci’s City of the Living Dead (pics here supplied by the man himself).

For those who didn’t make last night, thought it would be useful/entertaining to gather up all Il Maestro’s tweets into one place.

In them, Fabio Frizzi talks about scoring the movie, working with Lucio Fulci, use of synthesisers and instrumentation - and also drops a bombshell about an unused theme for the movie that Fulci cut out… in short it was an exchange to remember – and one that I can’t quite believe happened on the back of my unsolicited tweet to the man the day before…

Exchange of Tweets/questions as follows:

Question to Fabio: Can I ask what were the main challenges in composing this score, and what your memories of that time are?

Fabio:
We were on the way of that long work together with Lucio…coming from Zombi 2 and working on Contraband…It was important to find a good way to go ahead in that new fantasy and horror field…

Fabio: Ah a curiosity …In the graveyard scene Lucio wanted to fill the air with a tune whistled by one of the attendants…..He called me during a round of dubbing and whistled improvising …

Q to Fabio: The whistling idea is interesting – is it usual for a director to get so involved in a score?

Fabio: Lucio controlled everything, every sound on the movie was decided and approved by him…

Q to Fabio: Would you prefer to score a film without dialogue? Can it distract from the mood created by the music?

Fabio: The first films were silent and there was a pianist playing in front of the screen … Every night a different music … A great responsability, but it would be a great challenge…

Q: Fabio, what is you favourite score you did for Fulci?

Fabio: Every score for a musician is like a child so it’s quite difficult to say you prefer one or another!

Q to Fabio: You say your scores are like children.. but did you have a favourite Fulci movie that you worked on? Which was the most fun to score?

Fabio: It’s really difficult, I love zombi 2 cause it’s been the first horror with Fulci, probably The Beyond is the most complete score. But also this main theme of city of the living dead is particulary fascinating for me!

Q to Fabio: Did you compose mainly on the piano or guitar for this score?

Fabio: Mainly on the piano. Also, one of my favourite themes is the one with the guitar arpeggio

Question to Fabio: Does your daughter have a favourite score of yours for one of Fulci’s movies? I guess this one is pretty hard to beat…

Fabio’s daughter: I think my favourite one is “The Beyond” but I like them all

(diplomatic answer!)

Q: Fabio, did you score the finished cut or was there re-work on the score as the final cut evolves?

Fabio: I worked on the final cut of the film and decided directly with Lucio interventions and modalities of style …

AND THEN…

Fabio: Do you know there’s a theme I wrote which was never included in this movie?

Q: Tell us more about this ‘missing’ theme…

Fabio: I had the idea to start the movie with a magical and mysterious music, little horror film. Flute, strings…… interesting harmonies. But when Lucio heard it iseemed too sweet and romantic. He refused to edit on main titles… … and it was not used anymore… But today, when I play it in my concerts, many people say it’s one of the most beautiful…!

[Fabio says the ‘missing theme’ from City of the Living Dead that Fulci cut is on the Frizzi 2 Fulci Union Chapel CD]

Fabio: This is the unused theme for ‘City of the Living dead’…

https://soundcloud.com/fabiofrizzi/09-p ... iberazioni

Q: What synths did Fabio use on this score?

Fabio: Many for sure, Maurizio Guarini played the keyboards, Fabio Pignatelli the bass, Agostino Marangolo drums. Anyway I think lots of Yamaha synths…it was the period of the new generation synths of Yamaha

Q to Fabio: Do you hear your movie score sound in any of today’s electronic artists? Any that you particularly like and recommend?

Fabio: Yes I heard many of them, it’s good to hear your own influence to many young artists!

Q to Fabio: Is your daughter also a fan of your music and horror movies in general?

Fabio’s daughter: Yes, obviously… he’s my dad!!!

Q. Is Fabio’s daughter involved in music herself/does she play?

Fabio: She’s a very young good musician, but she’s just at first step…

Q to Fabio: Was Fulci pleased with the finished movie and score? Was he very much a perfectionist? How were the actors treated by him?

Fabio: Yes he was. Defining him a perfectionist is reductive. He was not an easy man, had a very strong character and knew what he wanted. He was quite demanding with the actors, but it was easy to estimate it, and follow him in his ideas

Comment to Fabio: Fulci had to be pleased with that score – it’s brilliant every second it’s on….

Fabio: Lucio had a team working, I had the honor and pleasure to enter their group. For example, with Sergio Salvati we are still in contact. And that old gang still makes us proud.

Q to Fabio: Was it a logical progression from using piano on the likes of Sette Note in Nero to synths on zombi 2 + City of the Living Dead?

Fabio: From Bixio Frizzi Tempera to Fabio Frizzi by himself something has changed, new idea, new musicians…. and the technology was growing…

Fabio says: Good night everyone was with us tonight!!! Hope to meet you soon, here or, for example… in the USA

Q: Is there a USA tour planned?

Fabio: We are working on this, news very soon…

‘Celebrity’ question from FK’s Andy Votel, re the unused theme: Hi Fabio. Was this music first made for Di Bari?… Or composed especially for LF? Great L.P.

Fabio: Di Bari was the publisher, Fulci was the customer!

Andy: Perfect answer So it was composed especially for the film? And Di Bari pressed the ‘Paura’ vinyl later?

Fabio: Exactly!

(OK, will let Fabio go to bed now, goodnight all! But just goes to show that if sometimes you ask, sometimes you get… )

By danwh1tepony
That is very cool, he seems like an incredible man. Missed out on the sync in order to finally watch It Follows (which I loved) but listening to the record now, stunning.
By soundtracks of fear
Well done @Spun, you did a great job and it's an interesting read, Fabio is now your buddy - what a trip! :)
By Spun out of control
@Dagar - Seems like a guy who genuinely appreciates the interest in his music from a new generation and is happy to engage with 'em, which can only be applauded. It was brilliant all round that he found the time to share a personal commentary, and others on here and on Twitter engaged with it.

Makes me wonder who we could drag in for a future STBC movie club. Would love to involve Clint Mansell in one as he again seems like a genuine guy and not at all starry. Ditto Cliff Martinez or Geoff Barrow. Nothing ventured, nothing gained etc...