Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Wes_2666
Thought this would be a good place to discuss Popol Vuh. Anyone else a fan?

My favorites are Affenstunde, In Den Gärten Pharaos, Aguirre, and Nosferatu...though I would guess I've only heard a third of his (huge) discography.

I need to re-listen to the last podcast but what was that they mentioned regarding some non-legit Popol Vuh reissue?
By lazyben
Disco made me buy Kailash when he posted about it on here the other week, I haven't had time to listen to it yet though.

The soundtrack stuff is all good, I think Hosianna Mantra is my favourite of the regular albums. In contrast to the normal way of things I actually like when they came over all devotional, not really so keen on the moog stuff.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Kailash is superb.

Here's my favourite ever piece of Popol Vuh/Herzog - if anyone has any idea whether the piece was released in any form/has a title/exists on a PV album....please let me know!

33' 40" in (though if you haven't seen the film, it's amazing and there's various PV pieces throughout...)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liYnvIBLMBQ[/video]
By Wes_2666
I don't think it's been released anywhere else.

Posted on the Popol Vuh Facebook page on September 19, 2014:

Surprise call from Werner Herzog / Lucky:
LOST STEINER TAPES DISCOVERED
the lost audiotapes tapes from Herzog´s early "The Great Extasy of the Woodcarver Steiner" were found after 25 Years. They contain some explicitly beautiful- never released Popol Vuh Music. Watch the film and hear the Music below - tbc soon released and rediscovered by Popol Vuh
By DISCOSUCKS...
@Wes - Oh shit, that's incredibly exciting to hear. Thank you!
By spiral insana
Popol Vuh was my all time favorite band for a long time. If anyone is open to their more rock oriented stuff, "Einsjager & Seibenjager" is one of the albums I've listened to the most in my life. Pure energy. The whole album is excellent but the long title track, dude...

A lot of the tracks from the Herzog films were on previous and following releases, I think Florian Fricke said something along the lines of "I make music for listening, not for collectors" in regards to doing this. Anyways I had the unusual experience of being a fanatic of the band before seeing most of the films and was really happy to hear an excellent sampling of tracks in each of them, for example one of the classics from "Nosferatu" is on "Tantric Songs" and "Bruder..." etc... The whole discography reaps huge rewards if you jump in and are ready to hear some of the better tracks kind of a lot. "Das Hohelied Salomos" is another excellent rock-y one with some parts that almost sound like metal. Even some of the stuff at the very end of the Popol Vuh discography rules. Most of the Popol Vuh LPs I have use a picture of Fricke where he looks shockingly like Beavis. Really stoked to see love for this excellent band on this forum
By deafmetal
@spiralinsana - Nice post and welcome to the forum. Very interested in the Florian Fricke as Beavis comparison, haha.
By spiral insana
thanks a lot for the welcome my dude!
here's an example... a bit of a stretch maybe now that I see it again, but it was a popular joke between my brother and I a few years ago when there was a Popol Vuh record on the turntable about 99% of the time

The back cover of this one:
http://www.discogs.com/Popol-Vuh-Br%C3% ... ase/396302
(Edited because the direct link to the back cover was unsuccessful)