Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
Hi guys

So I am out in Japan at the moment and digging through the crates... among the Japanese issues of American classics that we all love I am finding a lot of Gundam, Battleship Yamata and Ultraman soundtracks (including a rather nice looking picture disc) which look many and varied...

Just wondering if anyone has experience of picking these up and whether they are worth having - primarily for the music I hasten to add, rather than market value? Have only ever seen the briefest clips of said shows, so do not know whether I am passing up possible gems here or whether they are best left in the racks?

Anyone own any of these and can vouch for them? ;)

Cheers chaps...
By monsterworship
Here is a common one u might see, u should pick up.

GoDiego also did the essential Hausu OST.
Gallery Express 999

Look for any of the Lupin The third soundtracks by Yuji Ohno, really common as well and there are over 20 of them. Funky stuff.

A lot of the Japanese anime soundtracks are dialog orientated, so they can be boring if u aren't familiar or a fan of the material.
Otherwise just pick up cool covers :)
By Spun out of control
Thanks @Monsterworship - yes have already picked up a Lupin The Third as the cover was very familiar from previous posts on here - think it may even have been re-issued recently? The guy in the slightly disheveled store I bought it from told me it was very popular in France and there was a new movie on the way...

Thanks for the warning also on dialogue related soundtracks. Unfortunately my Japanese is not sufficiently up to scratch to tell that from the tracklisting, so 'cool covers' may indeed be the decider!
By deathwaltz
Spun

look at the previously sold section of Transsmission lots of anime there and as it's sold it's a good indication that it is worthwhile!
most of the product pages have sound clips too
By Spun out of control
Thanks Spencer - that makes a lot of sense, although there have been a few blind buys on stuff never encountered before. While as a Westerner you have to jump through hoops to try and actually locate the stores which tend to be slightly hidden away (cheaper rents I guess), it feels like time travelling digging though the racks and in that respect something close to vinyl nirvana...
By deathwaltz
Whereabouts are you you ?
In Tokyo.
By Spun out of control
@Spencer - no, am presently in Hokkaido - the northern island. Know there is a lot more choice in Tokyo, but haven't time to swing by there on this partcular trip, so Tokyo will be next time for me.

Think you mentioned you were out there soon (or now??). Be good to compare hauls. ;)
By monsterworship
I think the ones that say drama are usually the more dialogue orientated.(the red obi, yamato)

That ultraman pic disc is cool. And those are two good Lupin.

Never seen those gojira sfx vinyl before.