Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By philball1974
Not sure Nu Jazz is the appropriate title but wanted to kick off a discussion in the hope there are fans of the genre to offer up some new stuff.

Ive been listening to a lot of Hidden Orchestra, Cinematic Orchestra and more recently badbadnotgood and really getting into this style of Jazz/electronic

anyone else?

Nu jazz is an umbrella term coined in the late 1990s to refer to music that blends jazz elements with other musical styles, such as funk, soul, electronic dance music, and free improvisation.[1] Also written nü-jazz or NuJazz, it is sometimes called electronic jazz, electro-jazz, electric jazz, e-jazz, jazztronica, jazz house, phusion, neo-jazz, future jazz or Jazz-hop and electro-lounge.

According to critic Tony Brewer,

“Nu Jazz is to (traditional) Jazz what punk or grunge was to Rock, of course. [...] The songs are the focus, not the individual prowess of the musicians. Nu Jazz instrumentation ranges from the traditional to the experimental, the melodies are fresh, and the rhythms new and alive. It makes Jazz fun again.”
By jdubtxn
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and Moon Hooch are two other I have on the playlists. I got one of pressings of BBNG 2 that sounded like crap. Sad as that is a record that needs a good vinyl pressing.
By oaxaca
The one that instantly springs to mind for me is Tourist by St Germain (aka, Ludovic Navarre). What an album!
By texasvinyl
check out the new Skalpel record "Transit"
By monsterworship
No idea what nu jazz is, but i always dug John Zorn's morricone stuff, and naked city
By Whip Wilson
Yep. Much like Nü Metal, the concept of Nu Jazz eludes me. I second St Germain, John Zorn, and Dale Cooper Quartet (thanks again, Ghosty), but hesitate to place any of them in the same category of Jazz. That said, all great sounds.
By philball1974
Yeah I agree, the genre gets grouped as nu Jazz, downtempo, breaks or even trip hop! I can see with hidden orchestra it fits as it has a strong jazz element but isn't traditional.

@ghistfire I listened to Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - black earth. Wow!! Immediately wanted to buy it on vinyl, and got another wow when I saw the prices!

I've added the others to deezer.
By DrRhythm
I have time for a bit of Jazzanova/Kyoto Jazz Massive etc - it's just a shame that Straight No Chaser magazine which was so central to the scene is long gone.
By Dollarhyde
Not sure what nu jazz is, but flying lotus lp you're dead has a lot of jazz in it. Aswell as great use of a sample from bird with the crustal plumage.
By texasvinyl

I pledged this reissue forever ago on BeatDelete, and it finally showed up today. It came in a green printed box with a good-sized booklet and two remix 12" in neon green and pink sleeves. All on clear vinyl.

I would definitely call Jaga Jazzist "nu jazz". this album was recorded in 2000.

favorite track:

[video]http://youtu.be/Qq8ncIfnVhw[/video]