Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By philball1974
Appreciate this was started elsewhere but thought I would add it here for fans of this genre.

I love ambient/neo classical both soundtracks and non sountracks.

Ill start the discussion with one of my favourite artists Stars of the Lid. Unfortatley getting into them late in the game I missed out on decent priced vinyl and hoping for some repress loving.

For those who dont know Stars of the lid are drone based ambient from Austin. The music is a beatless droning, effects-treated guitars along with piano, strings, and horns.

Any fans of A winged victory of the sullen, Eluvium or even Sunn O))) or if you liked soundtracks like Valhalla Rising.

Brian mcBride, founder member put out the soundtrack to The Vanishing of the Bees which well worth checking out on vinyl.
By Spun out of control
Do ambient and drone dovetail I wonder?

Just wondering if your title should include 'ambient & drone music discussion'... am also interested in finding out more on this topic.

From what snippets I've heard of the latest Sunn O))) and Scott Walker album sounds worth checking out at least - though I'm slightly afraid it might be totally bonkers...

Then again that might be exactly what you want! :)
By philball1974
I read a review of the album which said it sounds like late Walker and not sure what Sunn o))) bring to it.

Its on my list but ive not rushed out to get it.

Ill rename it Ambient/Drone/Neoclassical
By philball1974
I think Eno (rightly) takes a lot of credit for Ambient music but this is one of the seminal albums of the genre for me.
Also lifts dialogue from Twin Peaks to boot.

Biosphere - Substrata

By ghostfires
Speaking of Eno - in case anyone that is into great ambient music has not seen yet...Equtorial Stars has just been released for the first time on vinyl. It is a great ambient experience from Robert Fripp and Eno. Very much like Evening Star, which if you've not heard before...you must!

[video]http://youtu.be/Edmkr0lDft4[/video]

By Whip Wilson
Who's releasing Equatorial Stars, Ghosty?
By philball1974
@Mateo you can pick it up at boomkat for £15. Essential purchase and weighs in at 200g vinyl!
By Whip Wilson
Thanks, Phil. Curious if anyone here has heard any of the three Fripp/Eno reissues on DGM? There is some ambiguity as to the source material and the only review I could find said the first two (No Pussyfooting and Evening Star) were extremely noisy pressings. I'd love another opinion however...
By philball1974
Didn't DGM release No Pussyfooting only? OPAL released Evening Star and Panegyric released The Equatorial Stars all earlier this year.

Out of the three I only have The Equatorial Stars and thats a good press.
By Whip Wilson
DGM/Opal released all three, but they have DGM catalog numbers.
By philball1974
So are DGM the parent company?

I can tell you equatorial stars is a good pressing.
By ghostfires
I actually own all original Eno records, so out of those three reissues - Equtorial Stars will be the first reissue I've had to pick up...thoufh I guess it technically isn't a reissue. I'm happy to hear it sounds good to you Phil, I should have my copy by the end of the week!
By Whip Wilson
[quote=39560]So are DGM the parent company?
I can tell you equatorial stars is a good pressing.
[/quote]DGM is Fripp and Opal is Eno. Thanks for the good word on Equatorial Stars, Phil.

[quote=39566]I actually own all original Eno records, so out of those three reissues – Equtorial Stars will be the first reissue I’ve had to pick up…thoufh I guess it technically isn’t a reissue. I’m happy to hear it sounds good to you Phil, I should have my copy by the end of the week![/quote]I'll be looking forward to your review, Ghostfires. Incidentally, which versions do you have for No Pussyfooting and Evening Star?
By philball1974
Some more excellent Eno. I love this album.

Brian Eno, Dieter Moebius and Hans-Joachim Roedelius

By Whip Wilson
After the Heat is fantastic, Phil. What edition is that? Does it have the original track listing? Cluster & Eno is grand as well.
By philball1974
Not sure about original track listing but it is the 2009 Bureau version. Good pressing, has a slight distortion for about 3 mins on side b which is a bit annoying but other than that is a good, especially as the music is pretty quiet.
By Whip Wilson
Glad to gear it, Phil. Thanks for the audio info. It looks like the Bureau B is faithful to the original track order. One of my issues with this style of music on vinyl is that any amount of noise in the pressing can be very loud and/or distracting from the often subtle, delicate music. Another is I don't like songs being broken up by flipping a record. It broke my heart to do so, but I ultimately passed on the Disintigration Loops Box for this very reason. Those songs were meant to be heard uninterrupted and vinyl largely couldn't provide that intended experience. At least these Eno records were made for LPs so they don't split songs between sides.
By philball1974
@Mateo I know exactly what you mean, Ambient music can be so immersive that it can sometimes take something away when you have to flip sides. The Christopher Willits album Opening is like that, dim the lights, pour a single malt, headphones on and drift into it. But damn its on 4 sides!

I must say, i also passed on the Disintegrated loops (aside from cost) for the same reason. Even when i saw the warehouse find of dented boxes for $100!
By Macready
Not sure if it's strictly ambient, drone or neo classical, but the new record by Bing & Ruth - 'Tomorrow Was the Golden Age' - is a thing of chiming, gliding beauty that hasn't come off my turntable for over a week.

I'm not an expert in this type of music at all, but for me it falls somewhere between the more pastoral elements of Eno's Music for Films and Shane Carruth's Upstream Color soundtrack - with simple almost minimalist motifs repeating and resolving endlessly.

As the sticker on the front of the lp says: 'a halcyonic journey to a neverending place'... Perfect music to stare out the window to.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5h_vMGmH8[/video]
By philball1974
@macready sounds like Stars of the Lid on speed! Bit fast for my ambient listens but I liked it all the same. Whats the rest of the album like? RVNG put out some good stuff, especially Julia Holter, although i think she may have moved to Domino now.

If i can find it in the UK i might grab it but they want £10 postage on the band camp page! fook that.
By philball1974
Just bought a big boomkat order so I've added it to my wishlist. thanks for the heads up.

in the meantime, kicking back with a nip of Ardbeg 18 and Global Communication's 76:14. Nice white label version from 1994. I love this album, time to drift away!!

By ghostfires
@mateo - you asked what versions of the Eno records I own...

Evening Star - I own the Editions EG U.S. pressing from '81.
No Pussyfooting - Antilles U.S. pressing from '76.

@Macready - great call on that Bing & Ruth, I've had that on preorder for a while now and finally received a shipping confirmation from RVNG earlier this week, so I should have it hopefully by the weekend! Definitely looking forward to it.

I believe it was Mateo too that threw out Cluster & Eno also...definitely worth getting for anyone that doesn't own them. Great records, very relaxing aural adventures.