Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By philball1974
I first heard this instument on Portisheads Mysterons, more recently I've been listening to a lot of the Night Terrors were it features heavily.

Does anyone know any good film scores where the theremin is used? I feel like I need more!

Edit* Spelling corrected
By phantomnoir
If you mean theremin, it's used in Mars Attacks... or any sci-fi score from the 50's btw.
By Dollarhyde
Nathan Van Cleave - 'A World Of Difference' Twilight Zone season one. Features Theramin and novachord.

released on Twilight Zone Volume three on sarabande.

and numerous other TZ episodes if I'm not wrong.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqXpCHJMnBg[/video]
By Spun out of control
Theremin was used on Goldfrapp's first LP to great effect - particularly the track 'Utopia'...

Also, wasn't Forbidden Planet soundtrack from the 1950's one of the first instances of its deployment? :)
By philball1974
Good information guys. Will start digging.
By siforster
As an aside, pretty much every theremin performance in film & TV from 1945 to 1967 (when he died, but not until doing a couple of tracks for Captain Beefheart) was from the hands of one Samuel Hoffmann. Presumably because nobody else in or around Hollywood had a theremin.
By freshoj
Pretty sure they are a common DIY electronics project, so you should build one and start a band.
By siforster
Forbidden Planet's soundtrack uses no Theremin - it's all ring modulators and other fun sciencey stuff. First Theremin in films is in Hitchcock's Spellbound in 1945.
By Whip Wilson
[quote=39254]Pretty sure they are a common DIY electronics project [/quote]

They are indeed. I built a solar theremin and a far more mechanically inclined (and ambitious!) friend built an analog version.
By philball1974
Some great posts. thanks

I'll probably pass on the DIY project though, I'm about as mechanically minded as a monkey. I was messing around with a Kontakt plugin though and thought it might be cool to get a real one!