Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deathwaltz
Discuss 50's soundtracks here....
By texasvinyl
I only have one, so my contribution to the thread will be limited. But The Man With The Golden Arm is a solid Bernstein score with a cool cover by Saul Bass, and you can find it pretty easily for a few dollars in the used bins.

By Oiche
C'mon, admit it, you feel all warm inside right? ;)
By lazyben
I have A Touch of Evil and some Herrmann stuff (Vertigo being my favourite) from the 50s but that's about it I think.
By Oiche
I like this from 1957 Saint Joan. My £2 copy was battered, but found a sealed copy recently for £12.
By lazyben
The Third Man is excellent (but the wrong decade) :)
By Oiche
@lazyben - No argument there buddy, Herrmann was a genius.
By Oiche
Now playing this Jazz killer,Johnny Mandel's I Want To Live!
By maxvelvet
Nice topic! But I only have one from The King:

King Creole (1958). Don't mind this edition which is a french repress from 1968. ;)
By Oiche
Its on CD but I won this 5 disc box on Jonny Trunks show few years back and I have to say it is and sounds stunning. Includes: 'A Streetcar Named Desire’ (Alex North); ‘Private Hell 36’ (Leith Stevens); ‘The Man with the Golden Arm’ (Elmer Bernstein); ‘Sweet Smell of Success’ (Elmer Bernstein/Chico Hamilton); ‘Touch of Evil’ (Henry Mancini); ‘Anatomy of A Murder’ (Duke Ellington); and ‘Odds Against Tomorrow’ (John Lewis)
By maxvelvet
Uh @disco... you're right FP... it's so fresh that I always think about it like a more recent film... :D

And also this one, "I Soliti Ignoti", great italian movie with a great music by Piero Umiliani!

I'm still digging! ;)
By lazyben
Oiche, that looks excellent. I am sadly lacking in the noir department
By lazyben
On DW we have from the 50s the Alfred Hitchcok Presents... and The Twilight Zone themes from the 2013 RSD 7"s I believe.
By lazyben
A bunch of these were 50s:

God I love Night of the Hunter
By lazyben
And while I'm talking to myself I will take the opportunity to wonder out loud what Spencer's motivation to starting this thread was...

I suppose it could be Godzilla which we all forgot to mention but maybe it's a hint?
By ghostfires
Night Of The Hunter is one of the finest films from that time period without a doubt. Would love to see a full ost issue of some sort for that film.

It would obviously span past the '50s, but I would love to see an updated vinyl box set of Hitchcock film music. Luckily my most favorite Hitchcock film, North By Northwest, slides in just barely; 1959!

By tim28212
currently watching "The Curse of Frankenstein", Hammer films 1957, and enjoying the score by James Bernard. Still waiting on more Hammer scores from Death Waltz.
By tonyandrewgiles
@tim - I second that.

Twins of Evil is stil a regular play at my house.
By phantomnoir
This Fritz Lang movie from 1950 is a masterpiece:

And the soundtrack composed by George Antheil, the self-proclaimed bad boy of music, is great!
By picnicinthejungle
Oskar Sala contributed a weird sum of electronic music ( elektronische musik) to the european soundtrack. The most famous being Alfred Hitchcocks the Birds ( Die Vogel). This 7" ep is super rare and has some extremely beautiful music that I would recommend! If you can track it down chase it !!
A: Der Fluch der gelben Schlange, The Curse of the Yellow Snake
B: A fleur d'Eau, Awash
Not sure of the google translations.

Oskar Sala is amazing. He invented the Mixtur Trautonium after Maestro Trauton.