Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By invadauk

a cheeky little film - where DROKK played to literally no-one as part of 'the dark outside event'

http://vimeo.com/110155019

On September 27 this year Drokk, the compositional duo of Geoff Barrow and composer Ben Salisbury, performed at The Dark Outside event in Galloway Forest, Scotland. Coming off the back of their soundtrack work for Alex Garland's upcoming film Ex Machina, the event was a rare live appearance from the duo.

The Dark Outside, organised by Frenchbloke (aka Stuart McLean of Tauchsieder and Mars Action), saw a host of artists contributing original, previously unheard material to be broadcast on an FM radio wave into the areas surrounding Murray's Monument in the forest. Punters were encouraged to listen in their cars or to bring portable radios with them, and the sounds broadcast were subsequently deleted.

(words courtesy The Quietus)

By ghostfires
To me, and I don't mean to sound negative, isn't this type of "art" just helping feed into the notion that music is disposable? That's what people tend to say about digital music...but if you work on creating something, play it once then throw it away...it just seems like it had no value to begin with. I guess I'm just not getting it.

The sounds at the end were really great, sounded like they were absolutely channeling their inner-Carpenter. Too bad it isn't available any further than on this video.
By invadauk
@ghostfires

everything you heard on the film that was dark & synth-like is readily available on the DROKK album.

you can listen here: http://drokk.bandcamp.com/

the only thing that was 'deleted' or hidden was the performance itself, thats part of the concept of 'the dark outside'

also Geoff Barrow ethos is pretty much the polar opposite of creating disposable music - 3 Portishead albums in 22 years tell that tale.

By ghostfires
I'm not questioning who he is, I'm very familiar with all his output. I do own the Drokk vinyl already...just still not understanding the point of creating music to then dispose of. My comments were less a question of what Mr Barrow does/did, more so I just don't get the point of the radio program in which they participated. Oh well, no big deal...just was boggling to me is all!
By NathanLurker
Ghosty. The point is the performance. It's a good thing for a radio show to have improv/jams and whatnots that might be nice for listeners of the show. The performance in itself isn't physically recorded but still is a nice memory for the people that took part/witnessed.

You maybe think too much about the music, but approach it thinking of the actual performance. not the music played. looking at it as a performance event, you might understand why music artist might have enjoyed experimenting. Any artist in a tour who does a special improvised or alternate version of a song and never releases it, that still have value in the context of that event. don't you think ?
By Spun out of control
Thanks for sharing this @invada, an interesting idea/watch, although in truth when it got to that section of the video where the sound cut out...despite my best intention to appreciate the high concept behind it all, it *was* a tad frustrating that we couldn't have been allowed to hear even a snippet of the performance itself... ;)

Did make me think I really must invest in a copy of the Drokk album next time you guys have a sale on and am very intrigued about both the Ex Machina film and the soundtrack (the trailer looks fab) - I'm guessing/hoping this will be inevitably coming out on Invada early next year?

By philball1974
This is very cool. Art is art. Everything is disposable from the sounds you hear to the air you breathe. It will all be gone one day. Nothing is timeless.
By 10T5
@Spun about Ex_Machina: very very pleased to hear an hold damned good DJ Shadow track. And very very long time that I've not heard something good from Shadow (except what he has done with Cut Chemist)...
By Spun out of control
Thanks for the trailer/clarification @Invada - was just trying to say the film looked fab rather than referencing any Drokk music as I know what we hear on a trailer and the eventual score isn't always the same thing. In any event have deleted the other trailer example to avoid any confusion and will watch your posted example with interest