Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Pain_Bubbles
I've been reading the board for a while , and finally decided to share my 'dilemma' in this topic:

I have a spare copy of the 'Inception' soundtrack on clear vinyl, never played, but I did remove the shrinkwrap to prevent warping and put it in a decent inner sleeve.I would be prepared to play it once because of several rumors of this being a bad quality pressing. (My own copy plays wonderful though)

My dilemma is the following:

I did not buy 2 copies to make a profit, but at its current value I'd be robbing myself if I sold it to a stranger for the price I payed for it. I have zero experience with selling stuff online, and don't like the idea of shipping such an expensive record overseas.

Because of this, I've just kept the record, it just stands here on my shelf , which is a shame, it should go to a collector.

I realise it's a slim chance, but maybe there is someone on this message board who would like to trade, I live in The Netherlands, not too far from the German and Belgian border, and would imagine a brand new 'Inception' would be worth a few hour drive.

Compounding problem is that I already have a pretty big soundtrack collection, sure I don't have Edward Scissorhands, but I imagine my chances to find someone within driving distance that wants to trade that are next to nothing.

The one more common soundtrack I can think of is the Girl with the Dragon tattoo box, but I also have a huge Avant Garde/Ambient collection. I'm still looking for Stairway to the Stars by The Caretaker specifically , but am always on the lookout for Nurse with Wound, Legendary pink dots, Lustmord , original Japanese pressing Taj Mahal Travellers etc etc. (Besides Herrmann, Williams , etc.) (would not trade most items 1 on 1 seeing the price differences)
Unfortunately I am not interested in special/colored/splatter/picture disc variants of records available in regular black vinyl.

If you have something you think would make a fair trade please send me a PM.
Again, I realise its a slim chance but its better than nothing I reckon!
By pabloeterovic
first on line if you change your mind and want to ship it overseas!
By EdKings
@ Pain_Bubbles, I've read your message and here it goes..

Not long ago I've started this hobby of collecting soundtracks/scores on vinyl.
And since I upgraded my sound system/speakers at home, I really could start to enjoy this music. Just to relax after work, for background music or just to bring back memories! Because the fun thing is, specially with older soundtracks like Indiana Jones or Gremlins, I could go back to that moment when I first saw the movie! But, unfortunately, I've started this hobby to late.

There were many records, of movies I loved or have good memories with, already were released and not available anymore. Like Batman Begins, the Dark Knight and.. Inception. You can guess how happy I was when I heard that Batman Begins was being re-released, so I grabbed one. Still hoping the other 2 I've mentioned get a re-release to.. But, i'm hoping you could scratch one title of the list for me..

I live in the Netherlands (Breda) so I'm willing to make the trip if we can work something out. I've got some nice records, I might want to trade, that are hard to come by, but since I've just started.. These are few and also part of my collection which i'm proud of. But still, for Inception.. I would trade them. Or I could tell you a good story why this record means so much to me ;) which involves walking into Christopher Nolan (in NYC) and being on his movie set, nobody noticing me, being in the movie. Love to hear from you: edwin konings @ me . com
By philball1974
Makes no sence not to ship it. You can get insured postage so there no problem. I once bought a car from overseas which cost a hell of a lot more than a record.

The important thing to remember is the record is only worth what someone wants to pay for it. My advice though would be to shift it before a repress comes out!
By nick1972
I have some magic beans…?
By EdKings
Hey, ik heb echt enorm veel interesse, zoals ik het hierboven al uitleg :)
Ik ben bereid te betalen en/of te ruilen. Ik hoop echt dat we iets voor elkaar, beide verzamelaars, kunnen betekenen.

Ik hoor graag van je,
Edwin
By Pain_Bubbles
Thanks for the responses people!

@Edwin : I emailed you, hope I got the adress right, left out the space between your first and last name.

@Philball\Pabloeterovic I know it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to a lot of people but I am not a very 'modern' person, most of the digital revolution has passed me by (I don't even own a phone) , the only thing I use the internet for is buying the occasional record. To me it just doesn't feel comfortable, maybe I should read up on the do's and dont's of international shipping.

@Nick: Last time I bought magic beans a giant dropped in my garden, destroying my wife's carefully picked plants, she was not amused.
By philball1974
@Pain, I understand what your saying, but the postal service isnt a new concept, its been around awhile now. All you need to do is take it to a post office, tell them you value the parcel at £xxx and they will send it for you. If anything happens to the parcel like it doesnt arrive or whatever then you are insured.

That seems better to me than driving a 6 hour round trip to sell a record to someone whos probably watched too many horror films and who is probably going to kill you and dump you in the black forest where no one will find you.

Or are you the killer?

Plus if you dont use the internet how do you know what its "worth"?
By Pain_Bubbles
Insuring a parcel is not that easy, you need proof that the item you shipped is worth what you say it is, which is no problem with some products, but almost impossible to do with 'collectables'. (An official appraisal is really the only 100% guarantee) And even IF you can proove it, chances are the Dutch mail service will still spend 4 months looking for some other loophole to avoid paying you back. Insured shipping is next to useless in The Netherlands. (But maybe UPS could be an option)
I do use internet, but strictly for buying music , so I am aware of websites like discogs and a few message boards (reading one message board like this is a lot easier then checking 25 record labels every day to avoid missing out on something)