A place where bands (horror, soundtrack,...inspired) can introduce themselves and promote their releases, gigs,...

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
not a good year for music.
By Aremagod
This sucks majorly......I'm glad I got to see him live as he was mind blowing.
By chiefbrody
I think it'll take me a long time to get used to the idea of Prince not being around. I'm a massive fan.

It just seems far too soon to be losing 80s icons. The man had almost zero quality control in later years, but his best stuff stands up with the anyone that I knew. As a performer he was untouchable, even in his 50s.

The term genius is overused, but for his originality, and the breadth of his music and playing, it applied to Prince.

I'm sadder than I thought I could be about the death of a 'star'.
By deafmetal
Growing up in Minnesota, and living for over ten years in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Prince always felt like our local rock star. The man was a prodigy on the guitar. Even though my interest in his music writing has wavered over the years, I have always appreciated him as an artist. 2016 is turnout out to be a brutal year so far.
By Mateo Sanboval
RIP Prince. Keep bustin'.
By Spun out of control
Was lucky enough to meet the man as a rather awestruck teenager during one of his concert tours in London... the only dumb thing could think to say during our brief moment together was 'I really like your guitar playing'.

Have a personally dedicated album (vinyl, natch) from him and his band. Nearly ebay'd it a few years back when I was short on cash... really glad I didn't. Will post a pic later - just off to watch the 10 '0 clock news here in the UK.

Surprised, but after all the deaths of various rock legends this year, not as stunned as I might have been.
By texasvinyl
Sad to see the eBay feeding frenzy in full force already. I admit I haven't listened to any of my prince LPs in years. To put a positive spin on things-- I hear he has a vault chock full of material, full completed albums with music videos and everything. I bet the estate eventually starts putting that stuff out.
By jgibbs4053
I was able to see Prince in concert twice in one week here in NC in 2011. Pretty much the greatest week of my life.
By Aremagod
texasvinyl wrote:Sad to see the eBay feeding frenzy in full force already. I admit I haven't listened to any of my prince LPs in years. To put a positive spin on things-- I hear he has a vault chock full of material, full completed albums with music videos and everything. I bet the estate eventually starts putting that stuff out.
Seeing Purple Rains being bid up to $125 makes me weep for the future of humanity. The greed and stupidity of people continues to amaze me and it shouldn't.
By Hatter313
I have an incredibly warped and water damaged copy of the maxi single in my car that someone gave me, it's completely trashed so it just acts as the cars secondary mascot (primary mascot is hieronymous the full size plastic skeleton that sits in the back seat....still haven't put it away since Halloween)
By deafmetal
@Hatter - Don't let the cops catch you in the carpool lane! Haha, that's awesome.
By Hatter313
@deaf, The local PD couldn't stop laughing about it over halloween. i had him in the front seat with his mouth in a scream and his arms on the dash, I'd stop short at lights and most people would get a huge kick out of it. one woman sneered a bit, but not everyone has a sense of humor.
By deafmetal
@Spun - Nice, that must be even more special to you now. Just think, when you are an old geezer, you could take that to Antiques Roadshow...

It could be fun to start an autographed LP thread on the forum. I have a couple scattered about my collection.
By Spun out of control
Ha, yes Antiques Roadshow... reminds me of a great spot-on review by Films On Wax of Clint Mansell's High Rise score - 'Wendy Carlos meets the theme from Antiques Roadshow' ;)

An autographed thread would be a cool idea @deaf, let's make it so...?

Have some I had personally autographed by bands/artists, others that I bought like that off the bat (think you have some autographed Frizzi's?). Wonder if it actually adds much to the value - I guess only if it's a really special record in the first place
By deafmetal
Spun out of control wrote:Wonder if it actually adds much to the value - I guess only if it's a really special record in the first place
I believe the hardcore record collectors will tell you it lessens the value of the LP itself, but the autograph collectors will say it increases the value of the autograph. :)

I see that you started the suggested thread, thank you. I will pull out a few things when I have some more time this week.
By bpwlogan
Many of the buildings in MInneapolis are still lit up with purple lights at night.

RIP Prince.
By m-bryce
Spun out of control wrote:As promised... (and as we're a vinyl appreciation forum):
Just seen this thread.
I'm a big Prince collector, have been for years.
Have to say that genuine autographs such as those are incredibly rare, please don't sell this unless you really have to. I think (if memory is correct) he did only 3 meet and greet/autograph sessions in his career and generally didn't believe in signing things.
I've noticed a few so called autographs on ebay of late. Signed Batman dvd, I mean c'mon!! They're all fake! The people who genuinely have a real Prince signature know what they have and how rare it is.
By m-bryce
Spun out of control wrote:Would love to have had a copy of Purple Rain signed by the classic Revolution line up ;)
Oh god yes! Anything signed from that era would be treasure.
I have a friend who caught a tambourine which was thrown into the audience by Prince (among a handful of others) at Wembley Arena in 1986, gorgeous thing with a paisley design on it, he says he'll leave me it in his will!! Lol. Next best thing to an autograph.