A place where bands (horror, soundtrack,...inspired) can introduce themselves and promote their releases, gigs,...

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By prettybleak
It seems like we have a lot of musicians on this board, and I was thinking it might be fun if we post our own scores. Maybe one person can cut out a scene from one of their favorite films, or a trailer even, and we can all work on it for a couple weeks, then re-convene to post our work.

i think it might be a fun exercise for those of us want to learn more about soundtrack work. what do you guys think?
By deafmetal
@prettybleak - Interesting idea, and I would be up for this. I think using a five or ten minute scene might yield more varied results rather than a short trailer.
By BurningTapes
You can count me in too. Sounds like a fun challenge.
By prettybleak
was thinking 5 to 10 minutes as well. i'm just not so good with video editing. maybe do one every month with a deadline?
By MODAREC
great idea, I'll give it a go too.
By ghostfires
Having just completed my third film score, I've fallen in love with writing for film so I'd like to give this a go.
By spasticjerk
I'd be down to give this a try as well I think actually.
By prettybleak
anybody have any ideas on what films they might want to do? i think it would be cool if we all worked on the same scene for a given month to see how we all might interpret it differently. I also think it would be cool if we did stuff a little out of the norm, stuff that hasn't been reissued lately or films that are interesting visually but might not have the best original music.

a few off the top of my head: (not that these necessarily have bad music)

the Vanishing
the Story of Ricky
Macchie Solari
Night of the Creeps
the Gate

By spasticjerk
Night Of The Creeps would be a really good one imho...
By linus
I'm game for this.

Maybe we could pick a film and divide up scenes for rescoring, then arrange a STBC Movie Club sync screening with the rescored tracks timed to the movie...
By NMA
Count me in as well.

Great idea ;)

By MODAREC
+1 The Story Of Ricky

some other suggestions..

Altered States
Incredible Melting Man
Q The Winged Serpent
Shocking Dark
Zu
Zardoz

this list could easily run into treble figures...
By prettybleak
[quote=73533]I’m game for this.

Maybe we could pick a film and divide up scenes for rescoring, then arrange a STBC Movie Club sync screening with the rescored tracks timed to the movie…

[/quote]

i think that's a great idea. Maybe we can start out with something simple, like a 5 minute scene, just to see where everybody is at musically and style wise, and then we can tackle a full on re-score of something serious, something like Hellraiser maybe?
By deafmetal
+1 The Story of Ricky
By MODAREC
@prettybleak
Well as the OP I think you should make the choice so we can get started!
(No pressure or anything) ;)
By prettybleak
[quote=73808]@prettybleak<br>
Well as the OP I think you should make the choice so we can get started!<br>
(No pressure or anything) [/quote]

yeah, fair enough, i guess I'll pull the trigger.

i think we should start off with the Story of Ricky. It got a few votes, hasn't been reissued any time recently, is way different from the usual stuff that is coming out, and is so over the top i think it would give us an opportunity to make a wide variety of different music.

we'll need to get a tally of everyone who is committing to working on it, and then divide the scenes up between everybody. does anyone have a digital file of the movie that we can all share to make sure we're all writing to the same timecode? also, is there a way to separate the dialogue from the music (i'm assuming not, seems like there would only be one soundtrack for the dialogue and music, but you never know).

any ideas on what to call this project? i was thinking the Spin the Black Circles Composers Club, but any other ideas are encouraged.

By spasticjerk
Let me know if you want the English dub, original audio or dual for the digital copy will get it posted to a link site and send it out to anyone who needs it
By prettybleak
i think the English dub would work fine
By linus
Aces. I'm down for Story of Ricky. I have the dvd.
By spiral insana
I'm very interested and a huge fan of Story of Ricky since childhood. I've tried this personally a few times (most recently "The Burning" and "Henry") but I never finish up on them. Would be excellent to collaborate on it to spread the workload and avoid the sub par music that can result from fatigued jamming
By spiral insana
Excuse my double post
I'm a new poster, hope I didn't miss the boat on this project, PM me or post here and I'd love to get on board
By prettybleak
hey, nice to have you aboard! we didn't start anything yet, i'm going to give it the weekend to see how else might be interested, then I'm going to make a thread monday specific to the project and start getting an official tally of everyone who is committing to participate.

anyone have any ideas on how long to make the deadline? Is 1 month start to finish realistic?
By MODAREC
A month is fine by me. Looking forward to it prettybleak.