Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By reddye6
I had a blast last night at the Boston show. The opening band was Dust Witch. It's a local band that I hadn't heard of before. They did a 50-minute set that comprised long, proggy jams -- definitely fit the mood of what was coming next.

Frizzi's band was set up on the floor in front of the seats, so the screen was not blocked. He was conducting while the rest of the band did its thing. Now, I haven't heard the score for Beyond in many years. However, this composer's cut didn't sound that different from what I remembered. The electric guitar was more pronounced and muscular than I remembered, but overall at times it just felt like the score was coming from the film as I remembered it. The band's playing was top-notch and no real sound issues (the film sound for dialogue and effects was just a tad bit high, so when there was a scream or a screech, it was a little painful). There was a technical issue at the very beginning of the film (no sound at all), but they resolved it quickly, rewound the film, and started again without issue.

After the film and the ovations, Fabio got behind the keyboards, and the band performed an encore. They did a few tracks from Beyond again and then finished up with a song that I know I've heard but couldn't place. After that, the lights came on, and we left. Right as we were walking out, I could hear music again, but I'm not sure if it is was another encore or if it was house music.

The crowd was very enthusiastic and welcoming, and the band seemed to enjoy themselves.

From a merch standpoint, they had a lot of items. A person from Beat Records ran the table, so music-wise, most of the items were back catalogue Frizzi CDs. I did see a couple of things that I hadn't seen before, though, such as a 2-CD Frizzi 2 Fulci Live in Austin and a single CD Frizzi 2 Fulci Barbican Bootleg. They did have the composer's cut on brand-new CD, which I picked up. The CD is 60 minutes. Prices were decent -- $15 for a single CD and $20 for a double-CD set. The only vinyl I saw was for Shark (Rosso Nell'Oceano). They also had some t-shirts and a few posters. Two were smaller (the one at the start of this thread and the art with Emily in a black dress, which she never wore in the film, with her wonderdog Dickie and skeleton face) and one was larger. I didn't get a look at the larger because of the number of people and other items were on top of it.

Next week: Morricone Youth and Goblin!
By blue15
@reddye6

Thanks for the review of the show. That was probably Beat Records producer Daniele De Gemini at the table with the goodies, he was also on hand with last year's Frizzi to Fulci tour (his dad Franco was the famous harmonica player in so many Italian Westerns). Interesting to hear about the new composer's cut CD.
By reddye6
ScoJo wrote:@red -

Morricone Youth/NoTLD - awesome sauce man, you're on a streak!
If I weren't feeling a monetary pinch, I would have gotten tickets to see Carpenter as well. But as we all seem to be saying throughout this forum, there is a lot of music but the wallet is weak.
So pissed that Carpenter isn't coming around here. Easily one of my favorite shows of the last year or so. Maybe my favorite.
By Hatter313
I'm psyched for this on Sunday, then mondocon, then Goblin/Morricone youth the next Sunday...unfortunately as of right now i can't cap it off with Carpenter the following Thursday, but if something changes i'll be on that like white on rice...then i will collapse.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote:I'm psyched for this on Sunday, then mondocon, then Goblin/Morricone youth the next Sunday...unfortunately as of right now i can't cap it off with Carpenter the following Thursday, but if something changes i'll be on that like white on rice...then i will collapse.
By deafmetal
reddye6 wrote:The crowd was very enthusiastic and welcoming, and the band seemed to enjoy themselves.
That is the best response anybody could really hope for. Thank you for posting the review, @reddye6. Tomorrow night here in Portland!

@Mateo - are you going to make it down for the show? Fully agreed with you on the Carpenter tour, btw. After listening to the new Anthology album yesterday, I am even more bummed out about not having a show around here this time.
deafmetal wrote:
reddye6 wrote:The crowd was very enthusiastic and welcoming, and the band seemed to enjoy themselves.
That is the best response anybody could really hope for. Thank you for posting the review, @reddye6. Tomorrow night here in Portland!

@Mateo - are you going to make it down for the show? Fully agreed with you on the Carpenter tour, btw. After listening to the new Anthology album yesterday, I am even more bummed out about not having a show around here this time.
Working on it. I have a ticket to the 8pm show, but I have a work conflict that I have been unable to resolve. I'd say 80/20 no/yes at this point. Still holding out hope though.
By blue15
deafmetal wrote:That is the best response anybody could really hope for. Thank you for posting the review, @reddye6. Tomorrow night here in Portland!

@deafmetal - If you snag a copy of the new Frizzi Composer's Cut CD at the concert, can I wave my hand for a copy too? I'm 150 miles north of Portland but can't make the drive.
blue15 wrote:
deafmetal wrote:That is the best response anybody could really hope for. Thank you for posting the review, @reddye6. Tomorrow night here in Portland!

@deafmetal - If you snag a copy of the new Frizzi Composer's Cut CD at the concert, can I wave my hand for a copy too? I'm 150 miles north of Portland but can't make the drive.
Where are you at, Blue?
By deafmetal
blue15 wrote:@deafmetal - If you snag a copy of the new Frizzi Composer's Cut CD at the concert, can I wave my hand for a copy too? I'm 150 miles north of Portland but can't make the drive.
Of course, please send me a PM as a reminder.
By Hatter313
There is a slight possibility that I have an extra for Sunday's show in Williamsburg. PM me if you are interested and I'll confirm as soon as i know if its available.
By jgibbs4053
I plan on going to the Charlotte show Saturday. Thinking about getting the meet and greet tix, but they are going for 60 when reg tix are going for 20. Is it really worth the extra 40?
By texasvinyl
Interesting. In Dallas it was 45 vs 25. I wanted to get one to get one or two records autographed but I couldn't make the timing work, the meet and greet is 3 hours before the show
By deafmetal
@jgibbs - I will say that Fabio is very warm and friendly in person, and is also gracious with his time for the meet and greets. If you are interested in meeting him or having an album signed it might be worth it to you.

Quite the night out once again...

I even met a ghost:

More to follow...
By Hatter313
Yep, a buddy had to bail so I’ve got an extra for Sunday, ticket is $28, hit me up on here if you are in the area and want to go.