Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
So I went to see The Film Music of Howard Shore at Heinz Hall, Pittsburgh.

All music was performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Howard Shore was a special guest.
The first part of the show was a new suite called The Hobbit - Four Movements. And I believe this is the first time it was played.

The second half of the show started with perhaps one of my favorites, The Fly (finale).

So after each piece was completed, Howard was then interviewed on stage by a film critic regarding his thoughts and anecdotes of the work. The songs were grouped by Director.

They did Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch for the Cronenberg collaboration, of which he has scored over 15? Of his films.

My favorite piece of the night was Ed Wood (Main Title) featuring Ms. Kavina on the theremin (she is a direct descendent of the inventor) so she shredded :) ordered the Ed Wood cd as soon as I got home for a few bucks.

Silence of The Lambs (main title) was great, and Howard said he wrote all of the themes from the perspective of Clarice so it is more delicate. Also a cool piece because Silence... was actually filmed in Pittsburgh!

Se7en (portrait of John Doe) was great, hope this gets a vinyl release someday.

The one piece that surprised me was Hugo, have never seen the movie, but the theme they played was very eclectic and fun.

I've attached the complete track listing below.

After the show ended I bolted for the Lobby for the signing of which I was one of the first few in line, and it quickly wrapped around the lobby.
I was able to purchase The new Dead Ringers mondo vinyl and I got that signed. As well as my program signed by both him and the theremin player.

Overall it was a great event. Howard Shore seems like a super nice and humble guy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2861 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 2861 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Sounds like a great evening, MW. Thanks for the debrief. I mean, just look at that signature. Straight class!
By ScoJo
Wow, thanks for the report. Would kill to see this show.
As an aside.....Lydia Kavina taught me how to play the theremin! I have a photo somewhere but cant put my hands on it just now. Incredible player and legacy.
Ed Wood ost NEEDS to happen on wax. Mondooooooooo????!!!
By Hatter313
Ed wood score is one of my all time favorites. As much as I would have loved to see elfmans take on the material I can't imagine the film without shores work on it, such an fun score and one I wrote a lot of my stuff too.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:My favorite piece of the night was Ed Wood
ScoJo wrote:Ed Wood ost NEEDS to happen on wax
Hatter313 wrote:Ed wood score is one of my all time favorites
I feel like there's some kind of pattern here, but I can't quite make it out. Hmmm...