Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Anyone planning on attending this big record show?

http://www.austinrecords.com/

The Austin Record Convention is the largest sale of recorded music in the USA. There is more music and related memorabilia available here, at one time, than anywhere else. Ranging from the 78's of the 1930s to the latest compact discs of today, over one million 78s, 45s, LPs, CDs, cassettes, posters and collectibles (probably even a few 8-track tapes!) are in the auditorium. Over 300 different dealers from all over the USA and Europe are spread out over 50,000 square feet of floor space. The show is so big that to see everything takes most of the weekend, so if you're in a hurry we have tables where customers can post search announcements in hopes of locating specific items.

The show brings together collectors and dealers from all over the world for a weekend of activity in Austin. The event started in 1981 and has been held twice a year, in the spring and fall, ever since. It has grown steadily over the years and now uses all available floor space at the event center. The location in Austin, "Live Music Capital of the World", is a beautiful city that is great fun to visit has aided in the popularity of the event. If you attend the show be sure to save some energy for an evening visit to any of the many clubs around town and check out the live music scene for which Austin is world famous.
By deafmetal
@texas - Could I send you a list? ;) would love to attend sometime.
By texasvinyl
Get excited, less than two days until the world's biggest record show!

Come and see me at table #98 which is in the middle area towards the tables on the back wall. It will be my first time with a dealer table, so come out and buy some stuff :)

I will have about 800 LPs out including a couple crates of soundtracks.

This show is gonna be massive!! I am looking at the layout chart-- 50,000 sq ft and 100+ dealers at 236 eight foot tables.
By Little Walter
Wicked! I'll be heading to your table bright and early Saturday morning (don't sell the good stuff to those damned Friday shoppers!) . . . considering the last postponement, this one's looking to be the biggest yet.
By texasvinyl

Slow so far! Mostly people setting up, and the only buyers are big dealers cannibalizing the smaller tables. I sold a big stack of records to Doc's Records (from Ft Worth), presumably they marked em all up and put them out at their table.
By Volzom Zofbie
Texas, it's awesome that we have you online reporting from the world's biggest record fair live.
Could you perhaps take a snapshot of the room so we can see how big it is?
By texasvinyl
Sure, I'll take some pictures tomorrow. It's good fun seeing what people are interested in and what gets passed over.

Blues records, funk jazz, and mainstream classic rock are selling the most so far, Candyman and Goblin Horror Box went really fast, and not a single person has looked at Under Pompelmo.
By Hatter313
Well if no one does....shoot me a line :)

Good luck man!

By texasvinyl

Haven't been able to dig much, but I did find this ridiculous record. "The dynamic soundtrack of the book" oh, xenu!

By static14
I wonder if his composing is as bad as his writing?
By Little Walter
My late post of findings:

And I got these from @texas:

By deafmetal
@Walter - the preview pictures are broken, but you can click through and view them.

Nice pile of wax, btw!
By Little Walter
Thanks @deafmetal - fixed the links too.

I got the best deals on what was picked over the least: the jazz (what's wrong with people?).
By texasvinyl
Good meeting you, and looks like you scored some nice jazz & blues records
By Ptflea2
[quote=67767]Thanks @deafmetal – fixed the links too.

I got the best deals on what was picked over the least: the jazz (what’s wrong with people?).
[/quote]

Lots of Jazz with a splash of Slayer :)
By milliondollars
@LittleWalter: nice to see somebody picking up them old blues records. i used to be obsessed with [country] blues recorded in the field and have a decent little collection. still looking for the first pressing of I Have To Paint My Face.

i believe if we started a blues thread in here we would be the only contributors :)
By Little Walter
@milliondollars - Well, there sure as hell ain't many blues soundtracks, so you may be right. I got "I Have to Paint My Face" because of that Arhoolie label - anything I've purchased on Arhoolie has some sort of spell on it that makes my blood blue.

@texas - It was good meeting you too - be seeing you come Mondocon I reckon. "Under Pompelmo" has had more time on my table than any of 'em.