Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
@Cult - nice, how did you pull that off? BTW, I emailed Mondo and they said VIP doors are at 6pm and they are going to send an email out to VIP ticket holders with additional info.
By jgibbs4053
i have 2 friends in Austin this weekend. Does anyone know if you have to actually attend the convention to purchase LPs? if not what address can i have them go by to pick me up some albums?
By deafmetal
@Darrell - you need a ticket to MondoCon to enter the Mondo store.

I just picked up my wristbands for the weekend, and there are already a couple dozen people in line for the Mondo store queue that opens at 10am tomorrow. That is some hardcore dedication.

By Little Walter
I'm number 115 in line - I've got a Tiger Lab shirt on. Say hi!
By deafmetal
Insane queue hundreds deep for the opening of the convention:

MadnessCon

Having a blast so far. I recommend the brisket from Mickelthwait Craft Meats.
By Bezulsqy
That looks so cool... Very jealous of you guys...
Enjoy!!!!
By texasvinyl
What were the "must-haves" people lined up for? Can't believe so many camped out.

I got the new Mondo/DW titles, waxworks Nosferatu, and one of the slime city variants with the cool cover, so I'm happy.

They did a bit on the local Austin news yesterday for MondoCon with Jay Shaw et al, it was hysterical. The news anchor didn't have a clue! She asked Jay "but who is Mondo?" and also asked if the posters were free.
By Hatter313
I went into the mondo store at like 2, was on line for maybe half an hour and got everything I wanted. Looked like the only thing that was sold out was Jurassic park. Honestly, unless you wanted that poster there didn't seem to be any reason to line up that early. Cult, deaf, vinylost and I walked into the record section first and cleaned up right away.

Also Goulish gary is one of the coolest, friendliest people I have ever met.
By Little Walter
Today's been wild so far--got some unexpected surprises:

And I bought all five of these for $20:

But the BIG thing that happened today: my wife won a Twin Peaks test pressing . . . suckaz!

Also . . . there may have been a hint / shove that Mondo / DW will be releasing PotP . . . (!!!)
By Hatter313
Yo it was your wife! Sweeet oh man I'm so glad it went to a board member! Spencer wouldn't tell us the line, wants it to be a surprise. So excited for that. I lost my mind when he dropped the needle on that test press.
By deafmetal
Congrats @Walter, very glad the test pressing went to a board member's family. Here is a shot of the soundtrack panel:

I saw so many incredible prints from the legion of talented artists:

Including Rockin' Jelly Bean (and his buxom assistant):

Sneak peek at new Mondo 1/6th scale He-Man figures:

However, I was more interested in the Lunaris Records/Monsterworship booth where I picked up some new friends:

Overall, it was way too easy to spend money on vinyl, both old and new. Great to see so many soundtrack labels in the house.

By deafmetal
Day two was primarily about the screenings for me, although I did finally cave and picked up a couple smaller prints. So much amazing artwork...

I attended the Black Swan screening, and it was my first time seeing the film. A local music composition professor spoke before the film played, and discussed Clint Mansell's scoring style and composition, including some insightful audio clips showing his technique. Very good talk! The film was intense, and I felt a bit stressed out after watching it. Most Aronofsky films do that to me.

Halloween was great. I have not seen it on 35mm before, and it gave it the perfect late 70's vibe to match the film. Carpenter's soundtrack is one of my favorites.

Here is a shot of the nine-color print that was included with the ticket price:

Spencer (in his OG Surf Nazis Must Die sweatshirt) and Mo introducing Umberto and Pieces:

I really enjoyed the re-score. The film was projected silently, so you could easily focus on the sounds Umberto was playing, which including some driving electronic jams, and plenty of synth noodles, warbles, screeches, and meanderings. The material in Pieces is a bit lighter than The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it has it's moments and also got some laughs. The ending was gold.

Goodnight MondoCon, maybe I'll catch you again next year.

By Bezulsqy
Thanks for all the pics and info. Really looks and sounds like a blast. I'm going to check out how much it would costs me to fly out from Europe next year, because I really am envious of what I see here :-)
American pop culture is fantastic!
By Hatter313
From Frizzi to Umberto, and everything in between. A great weekend, with good food, great art, great music, and great people.

Got to meet a few of us on the boards here, placed some faces to names and got to shoot the breeze with some of the great label heads and artists we all love. Some personal highlights for me were chilling with Xander Harris and Umberto on the Frizzi line, geeking out with Goulish Gary who is one of the most down to earth genuine people ever, grabbing that late night drink with @monsterworship and @deafmetal, seeing Rob Jones rock that yellow tux like nobody else could, and witnessing the unbelievable volume of records @little Walter and @the cult leader had in their hands.

Thanks Spencer, Mo, and all the people behind Mondo for putting together such a killer time.
By synthxanderharris
Chris! It was great meeting you! I had one of the best weekends of my life. The Frizzi show was so incredible. See you guys next year.
By synthxanderharris
Umberto never speaks so that was absolute gold. That speech was hilarious.
By soundtracks of fear
I'm so jealous, looks like a lot of fun. @deaf I would probably kill for that Japanese Elm st you've got ;) I just did a trade with Monster I wish I knew he had that one!
By deafmetal
@Dagar - I queued up in line so I could get in early and go straight to the Lunaris booth to nab that beauty. Mission accomplished!
By deafmetal
Mondo just posted a bunch of photos from the convention:

http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/6972877 ... hoto-recap

One of the funniest things I saw all weekend was a young lad with a patch or sticker on his jacket that said "Mondo Trader - F5 or Die".

Btw, did anybody mention that Lunaris announced Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man)? :D