Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By soundtracks of fear
Just committed to this weekender, lots of interesting bands on here, for all you black doom metal heads out there. Seen quite a few before and not to be missed.
I wonder if Scott Walker will be there!!?
http://www.templesfestival.co.uk/
By tonyandrewgiles
Dude I was almost pulling the trigger on a ticket for this but it's the same weekend as Strongman Trials...
By soundtracks of fear
Strongman trials..? as in World's strongest man!!? @TAG Impressive so you really look like ptflea 2's profile pic ;) I love watching that in the new year SAVICKAS 2015 #1
I realise this is probably something entirely different.
If you do decide to go we should have a meet up beer at some point :)
By ghostfires
I've never been able to understand the hype surrounding Converge at all, BUT that whole weekend would be worth it no matter who else played just to get to see/feel Sunn live, and of course the almighty Earth!

Honestly I would have thought Pallbearer would have a headliner title over Converge since they're the most talked about metal band of 2013-2014.
By tonyandrewgiles
@Dagar - More of a watcher than a participant ;)

If I do make it down though, was eyeing up friday as the trial is on Saturday we should indeed take part in some beer drinking merriment!
By deafmetal
That is a pretty varied line-up for metal. I see quite a few experimental death metal acts on the list that are highly recommended by me: Bolzer, Grave Miasma, Impetuous Ritual, and Portal. Dark, suffocating, relentless, insane metal of death.
By strictlywayward
It is an interesting mix of metals.
I didn't get Converge when I saw them open for High on Fire years ago, and I still don't get them now. I would have thought they were sort of an introductory grind/math act, but a lot of people swear by them. If anything, Today Is The Day or Voivod ought to be in their spot.
Anyone else genuinely surprised that Will Haven is still a band?
By ghostfires
@strictlywayward - Today Is The Day! Alright! I saw them live in a tiny little warehouse in Texas about 15-16 years ago. They were great.

Converge is a total mystery to me. They are about as dull as it gets, but you're correct...people really are into them for whatever reason.

I don't think I've ever even heard of Will Haven...

@Dagar - that's awesome you've seen those great bands several time! How was it seeing Sunn in person? I've heard you can barely even breathe because of the bass...is that true?
By soundtracks of fear
@ghost It's very intense, the anticipation is usually quite electric before they begin. Dark and brooding menacing growling sounds of bass, with that vibrating through your body it actually has a very physical effect on you! that and the fact they have these massive dry ice machines which completely fill the space with smoke, so you're basically blinded looking into this white void with ungodly sounds echoing towards you. One of the greatest bands I've seen for sheer atmosphere. I think most people would enjoy it even if not a fan of the albums it's a totally different experience. If you get the chance...
By deafmetal
Seeing Sunn O))) live is a religious experience, wherein you are invited to join in the ceremonial worship to the gods of resonance and distortion. It is quite an intense experience, especially if you are sensitive to FUCKING LOUD DISTORTED DRONING GUITAR TONES. :D
By Whip Wilson
I've seen Earth a few times (and a few incarnations) over the years and they are damn fine live. Damn fine.
By soundtracks of fear
So I'm off to this www.templesfestival.co.uk as you read,but I haven't had time to research as much as I'd like to, so I know some of you like bit of this stuff,are any bands I shouldn't miss! I do know a few but not nearly enough. Metalhead weekender! And if anyone's gonna be there let's meet up for a brew :)
By Bub
Don't miss Torche! Heavy & melodic all in one.
By thewaystation
Goatsnake are great as well! Would love to see Portal, too, to mix things up a little and for some insane stage attire. I have read a lot of praise for Bolzer on the Nuclear War Now forum.
I saw Celeste a couple of years ago, but got bored rather quickly.
Either way, enjoy the festival! Would be cool if you could report a little afterwards?
By deafmetal
SunnO))) is obviously a must-see band.

If you also enjoy the blacker/darker side of death metal, then I highly recommend checking out Portal. I just saw them again at MDF, and they are like nothing else out there:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyw_FGIhAE[/video]

Also recommend Grave Miasma and Bolzer.
By bansel
man, I'd like to go just to see if the singer of Portal still wears that cuckoo clock on his head!

Awesome band btw. The first release I ordered from them came with a random twig lol

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrBZZtGFgI[/video]
By Ptflea2
Count me as another that never "got" Converge. Though "Jane Doe" is a killer song......

Man, I used to love me some early Between the Buried and Me. Their first release was incredible, but never got into anything they did after that.
By monsterworship
I've only seen SUNN0))) one time but they were crushing. Attila was also on vocals/noise and he wore a scary weird burlap sack/ tree limb outfit.
By deafmetal
@Bansel - The Curator hasn't worn the clock for quite a few years. Here are some pictures from Maryland Deathfest last weekend:

By sonnydexter
@Ptflea2 that's a shame about Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence is one of my favourite releases from them and I'm really looking forward to Coma Ecliptic.

I've only just discovered Sonance who are also there .... Really worth checking out their latest effort.

Noise/sludge/ambient/drone/doom from Bristol, UK

https://sonance.bandcamp.com/album/blackflower
By soundtracks of fear
Finally shaken off the hangover from day one. Thanks guys for the info on all bands above.
Listening to soundtracks 80% of the time I had forgotten how good this live stuff really is. LENG T'CHE, SEA BASTARD, METH DRINKER and SLABDRAGGER (finishing their set with a doomy version of Muffin Man by Frank Zappa) were yesterdays hi-lights.
Today GRAVE MIASMA, BOLZER, PORTAL with cuckoo clock man, TRIPTYKON playing Celtic Frost and The mighty SUNN O))) - FUCK!!!
This is top little festival on the outskirts of Bristol in its second year, with a capacity of 2500 (all of which will be trying to squeeze in to see Sunn tonight) with a pleasing mix of european visitors which adds to the festivals flavour, giving it a that ROADBURN vibe.
Not many cameras filming head high, which is good - but I did get a little snippet of NAILS which I'll post later

Will also be watching GHOLD for sure and Sonance sound pretty good ;)
By StrangeVices
I can't believe Today is the Day is still around.