Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
Any fans of Bruce Langhorne out there? (The Hired Hand/Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid)

With Bruce's blessing (!) I'm adapting+performing live his brilliant lo-fi score to a re-edit of Peter Fonda's lost 1972 eco-pessimism-sci-fi-hippies-in-the-desert flick at a UK film festival in late March:

http://www.flatpackfestival.org.uk/even ... t-running/

http://psychedelicpsynema.wordpress.com/

Here's a little taster clip, with some of Bruce's minimalist folksy Americana/electronica scoring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v16JFmGKQ38

Be Seeing You!
By Purplemule74
Discosucks -

I don't post that often,. Others often say what I've got on my mind so I don't waste my type.

But heck, this is awesome. You should give yourself props for making this happen.

It is wonderful when you can be passionate about something and actually get to demonstrate that passion.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Thanks @Purplemule - that means a lot. We're going to try our best to do justice to the original music, I'm such a fan of the composer and always have been. Saw The Hired Hand when I was about 13 and knew something special was going on. Recently I've been digging into Langhorne's history playing with Dylan and other NYC folk artists of the time (and by weird co-incidence the Coen's new film comes out and it's all about that scene!)

By ghostfires
I would love to have ANY Langhorne work, as I absolutely love The Hired Hand soundtrack. This is such great news!
By DISCOSUCKS...
Keep the Langhorne Love coming guys! He was actually very surprised when he received my "fan" letter which probably went on at length about his brilliant soundtrack work (his actual response was "but...who the fuck are you talking about??"
Have to love a modest genius ;)
By thedeepness
Very Very Cool. We actually started the day today at our house with Hired Hand followed by Pat Garrett. (Got Ecstasy of Gold Vol. 1 going now, in a western mood)
By DISCOSUCKS...
Pat Garrett is so incredible. I actually have the studio outtakes bootleg, with tons of extra unused cues and variations on the main themes, and you can hear bits of studio chatter inbetween including Dylan asking if he can get some ketchup with his mexican breakfast ;)
By soundtracks of fear
@disco good for you chap - like the look n sound of the clip - hope it goes well.
On another note I'm sure you already have purchased but just got my copy of THHE very nice indeed
By DISCOSUCKS...
@Dagar -- many thanks fella. I'll hopefully post some clips from our show here at some point :)

I actually haven't yet snagged THHE, something had to give in this avalanche of OST releases...will definitely plan to check it out at some point.
By DISCOSUCKS...

I never seem to have enough time for designing the posters I have in my head properly, but this will do I guess. Really looking forward to playing our re-edit of the film with adapted lo-fi live soundtrack!

Here's the event info:

www.flatpackfestival.org.uk/event/silent-running

So...if there's anyone near the Midlands, UK on the 28th March, come and say hi....no doubt there is lots of other great stuff to see/hear during the festival as ever, including a screening of Nosferatu in a cathedral with fantastic live score.

Thanks!
By ghostfires
Great job on the poster! I think it looks great!
By DISCOSUCKS...
Thanks brutha - much appreciated :)
By soundtracks of fear
@disco the poster is really good maan! Reminds of something demdike stare might do.
By Purplemule74
@Discosucks -

It would be great if you could post pics, reflections, etc. on the event.
By DISCOSUCKS...
I'll do my best - certainly planning to have my GF video the performance (and Bruce Langhorne has requested to hear the results too....ulp!)

Thanks for the support guys. Very appreciated
By DISCOSUCKS...
My disatisfaction is mainly because I always start out wanting to do as much of the design hand-drawn as possible, especially the lettering...but always end up in "Font Hell" looking for typefaces that don't suck. I'm never satisfied on that front! ;)

However, when I'm given a shit-load of time and the brief to do whatever I want, I usually come up with something more like this vinyl LP sleeve I did for a friend:

There's a couple of compromises on that one (I never wanted the damn Pigeon logo on the front, fer instance!) but basically I like it - it's one of the few designs where I was just given total free reign.
By soundtracks of fear
@disco complex stuff. I like the attention to detail - inside the mind of disco! :)
By soundtracks of fear
Ummmh maybe too much acid in your younger days ;) check out the new movie Under the Skin that's an interesting one,not quite sure what to make of it. I liked it but... Yeah it's a bit s t r a n g e !!!
Great soundtrack too pre-order on amazon
By DISCOSUCKS...
Aciiiiid! Yes, I can't deny there was some...experimentation in the youth of Disco ;)

Under the Skin was actually my birthday movie on Sunday! I dragged a bunch of people to it, and amazingly everyone at least found it "interesting"....I bloody loved every second! Not sure if having read the book "helps" with this one - in some ways, you get a leg up on the weirdness of it, but in other ways it's so different it could potentially be disappointing. I'd certainly strongly recommend reading it after seeing the film. I found that the movie attempted exactly what I'd like from a film adaptation - staying close to the character/themes of the novel but going off on it's own wild tangent. I have to say I thought Johansson was just incredible. And the music was also exceptional - ordered the vinyl from MoonUnit Records today!!
By soundtracks of fear
Well happy birthday to you for Sunday fella @disco. I will try and get hold of the novel, just ordered from moon unit too can't wait for Amazon plus never guaranteed with them, although it is priced at half of what I've just forked out! I do think I need to watch it again already. Some of the scenes of her chatting were actually hidden cameras. It reminded me a bit of beyond the black rainbow or into the void both also great films IMO.
By zuko
"My disatisfaction is mainly because I always start out wanting to do as much of the design hand-drawn as possible, especially the lettering…but always end up in “Font Hell” looking for typefaces that don’t suck. I’m never satisfied on that front! ;)"

I think in those cases, just go for it and do it hand-drawn – I think you can always tell when it's a font and it doesn't look as good.

I like how intricate that LP cover is, reminds me a bit of Jesse Moynihan's stuff: jessemoynihan.com
By DISCOSUCKS...
You're right of course, @zuko - fonts are generally ass. I just seem to run out of time and have to resort to them sometimes.

Love the Moynihan art! Amazing! :)
By zuko
Went looking for the trailer of this on youtube and found the whole film. Interesting idea, if a little shonkily put together (the music aside of course!), plus one of the thinnest veiled excuses to get teenage girls in their pants; the no-trousers time machine! It's The Road–meets–Primer–meets–Porkys. Gave me some ideas for a poster too though.
By DISCOSUCKS...
O please do one Zuko!! I've seriously fallen short with my own attempt and would love to see a really good one -- hell, I would even use it as our official gig poster if that was cool/cover of the programme! (it's next friday.....)What sort of thing do you do? Any links? ;)

I totally agree about Primer, btw - and actually the more I think about it, Upstream Color too. I'd take a very bold, educated guess that this was a formative film experience for Shane Carruth.

Yes, the No-Pants-Time-Machine! Incredible isn't it? They really had no irony about their pervy shit in that glorious era. I would love to discuss Fonda's films with him sometime...were it not for the fact he appears to have become a seriously dodgy right-wing nutbag. (well, he may have been misquoted of course...I'll give doubt benefit up to a point!)