Something happening fellow Black Circle folks should know about ?

Post links in here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Friday evening was fantastic. Simonetti was in such a great mood, he was all smiles, talking to the audience and seemed like he was having a blast playing. Seeing Suspiria with a live score was an experience, I loved it. The real highlight was the 45 minute set after the movie though. They tore through tracks from Tenebrae, Demons (a highlight!), Phenomena, Deep Red and Zombi. The wife was blown away by the second half as well, she did not expect it at all. I feel bad for the folks in NYC on Saturday though, apparently the venue was only allowing them to do the rescore to the film and then they had to be done.

For those that are curious they are not projecting the new restoration by Synapse, it's an older version (probably taken from the Italian bluray from a few years ago), the colors are very washed out, the scene where Suzy is in bed after she feints and they move all her stuff into the dorm, is very white and washed out, you can see the green and red gel lights on the edges of the frame. This is the easiest scene to tell the difference between the old and new, Synapses pushed the colors back into the scene, they received some criticism over this but they worked with Tovoli very closely on the restoration so I believe their version is closest to the intended look originally. I did not pick up any thing from the merch table as I could not get close to it after the show. The entire venue (which wasn't that big) went into the area with the merch, I didn't want to stand around since I had a 2 hour drive ahead of me at 11 at night. Overall had a great time and well worth the trip.
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:16 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:16 am
inksb wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:45 am I'll be picking up the album when I see him performing the score to Deep Red in October. Hoping it's as good of a show as the Suspiria one from last year.
Are you going to the one in Syracuse?
Yup!
Nice, me too! Did you hear about them adding the showing of Demons after free for all ticket holders?
If you guys haven’t seen the “other” Goblin (which is basically the rest of the original band minus Simonetti), you’re missing out.
They’re touring the US this fall and I highly recommend you check them out if you can. The rhythm section alone...there’s nothing else like it.
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:16 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:16 am

Are you going to the one in Syracuse?
Yup!
Nice, me too! Did you hear about them adding the showing of Demons after free for all ticket holders?
No. Is the venue just showing Demons after the show? I really hope they still do the set after Deep Red of other themes like they did last year after Suspiria, honestly that was so much fun it's what I'm looking forward to the most (I personally don't like Deep Red all that much other than the score).

@havershaw, I would love to see the "other" Goblin, unfortunately they seem to be doing the "big city" tour and the closest to me is over 6 hours away.
Doors at 7pm, film at 8pm, movie ends around 10:10, leaving 20ish minutes after I guess. Im pretty sure they'll just delay Demons, or at least I'd hope. When I saw Fabio Frizzi do Beyond they played for a little over a half hour after the movie, so I'm thinking the same. All I know is it's gonna be a long night, gotta drive home 2 hours after the movie and work at 5:45am haha.

Havershaw, I did actually have tickets to the Suspiria show last year, but it was almost 3 hours away and started pouring that night and I just didn't feel like doing 6 hours of driving in the rain that night so I bailed. Wish I had made it though!
Last edited by Revolver_OcelScott on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm Doors at 7pm, film at 8pm, movie ends around 10:10, leaving 20ish minutes after I guess. Im pretty sure they'll just delay Demons, or at least I'd hope. When I saw Fabio Frizzi do Beyond they played for a little over a half hour after the movie, so I'm thinking the same. All I know is it's gonna be a long night, gotta drive home 2 hours after the movie and work at 5:45am haha.

Havershaw, I did actually have tickets to the Suspiria show last year, but it was almost 3 hours away and started pouring that night and I just didn't feel like doing 6 hours of driving in the rain that night so I bailed. Wish I had made it though!
Assuming you are talking about the Homer show for Suspiria, that's the one I went to. It was amazing. They did about 30-45 minutes of music from Deep Red theme, Demons, Phenomena, Dawn of the Dead, Tenebrae and more. So good. The venue was small and I sat in I think the third or forth row center.

I have tickets in the center and row G for Deep Red. It's the same venue that John Carpenter played at a few years ago, were you at that show?

I'm a little bummed it's the Italian cut of the film (as expected) since I prefer the shorter International cut of Deep Red. Oh well I'm there for the music :)
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm Doors at 7pm, film at 8pm, movie ends around 10:10, leaving 20ish minutes after I guess. Im pretty sure they'll just delay Demons, or at least I'd hope. When I saw Fabio Frizzi do Beyond they played for a little over a half hour after the movie, so I'm thinking the same. All I know is it's gonna be a long night, gotta drive home 2 hours after the movie and work at 5:45am haha.

Assuming you are talking about the Homer show for Suspiria, that's the one I went to. It was amazing. They did about 30-45 minutes of music from Deep Red theme, Demons, Phenomena, Dawn of the Dead, Tenebrae and more. So good. The venue was small and I sat in I think the third or forth row center.

I have tickets in the center and row G for Deep Red. It's the same venue that John Carpenter played at a few years ago, were you at that show?

I'm a little bummed it's the Italian cut of the film (as expected) since I prefer the shorter International cut of Deep Red. Oh well I'm there for the music :)
I didn't know about the Carpenter show until you just said it and now I'm bummed as hell! I see he's currently touring again and only an LA show in the US
That Carpenter show was awesome. I was up in the balcony front row for that one, they must have their green room upstairs because he came out up there, walked right in front of me (a little bit star struck) and headed down to the stage when the show was about to start.

And the real reason I asked is to just warn you that the venue is not in the nicest of neighborhoods, just make sure you have nothing of value out in the open in your car. A friend of mine has had their vehicle broken in to while at that venue.
havershaw wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:52 pm If you guys haven’t seen the “other” Goblin (which is basically the rest of the original band minus Simonetti), you’re missing out.
They’re touring the US this fall and I highly recommend you check them out if you can. The rhythm section alone...there’s nothing else like it.
I wish they were hitting the west coast again, but I'm glad to see them out touring.

I will probably go check out the Simonetti gig here.
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 pm That Carpenter show was awesome. I was up in the balcony front row for that one, they must have their green room upstairs because he came out up there, walked right in front of me (a little bit star struck) and headed down to the stage when the show was about to start.

And the real reason I asked is to just warn you that the venue is not in the nicest of neighborhoods, just make sure you have nothing of value out in the open in your car. A friend of mine has had their vehicle broken in to while at that venue.
That's sad to hear, I usually do a Google Street view when going to these things so I know how bad the area is. A friend of mine who lives in Syracuse says the venue for Deep Red is decent.
The area right around the venue (ie the street) is nice but the side streets are not the greatest. Parking was very easy last time I was there and I had no problems but I've been warned by friends about the area. As I'm not very familiar with Syracuse I honestly have no real idea other than what I'm told.
I was excited because they were playing my friend’s venue here in town so I’d be able to be there for soundcheck etc (and also it’s not that big and it’d be cool to see them in such an intimate venue).

Hopefully they do reschedule in 2020.
Great show last night in Syracuse. I would have loved to have stayed for the showing of Demons, but it was already after 11pm, had a 2hr20minute ride home in a rain storm and had to be up at 5 for work.

Ink, did they score Demons too? Claudio mentioned they might, but couldn't tell if he was joking.
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 am Great show last night in Syracuse. I would have loved to have stayed for the showing of Demons, but it was already after 11pm, had a 2hr20minute ride home in a rain storm and had to be up at 5 for work.

Ink, did they score Demons too? Claudio mentioned they might, but couldn't tell if he was joking.
Not sure, I actually left right when they finished as I had a little over an hour drive and had to get up at 6, plus my wife who generally goes to bed at 930 every night was with me so she was ready to go home too. That would have been amazing if they did but I doubt it.

Claudio was in great spirits last night, joking, goofing around playing and seeming like he was having a blast once they got to their actual set. I feel bad for them, the first 45 minutes of Deep Red has like two musical cues right at the beginning then they just sit there til almost half way through the film. I was really thankful they did the Export Cut and not the Directors Cut. I've always found the DC kind of boring, sure there's more character stuff in there but honestly the movie is already slow, that extra 20 minutes never really does much for me.

I really enjoyed one of the new songs they played, with the funky key lead. I would have bought their new album if they had it on vinyl but it was CD only. I did pick up a copy of Demons as I have been meaning to buy that for a while. I was a little surprised at how empty the place was. We were in the center section Row G and after about 30 minutes of the film we just moved up a few rows and sat in the left section. There was no one over there.

I had a great time and would love to see Claudio just do a tour of his music rather than a live score then a small set after.
Yeah, I am glad the mini concert was an hour and not the 30 minutes that I had thought it was gonna be. The concert was great, and yeah, he seemed to be having a blast.

I didn't grab any merch only because I was in a rush to get home and I pretty much had everything that I wanted anyways. Would have liked to have gotten autographs though.

A guy next to me was saying the next for next year is Tenebrae, which I am all for. I love that soundtrack, and I enjoy that movie for the most part. Lucky you can bring your wife. My fiance HATES violence in movies, except the really cheesy not real looking stuff, I'm tempted to drag her to The Beyond though haha.