Something happening fellow Black Circle folks should know about ?

Post links in here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Watch In The Mouth of Madness, sir. You shan't be disappointed. In fact, somewhere around here there's an STBCer knocking about who knows a thing or three about the FX in this picture...
For me...In the mouth of madness is like almost there. Some of the story and effects are a bit sloppy. It needed a bit more development but it still has some cool moments and it does have kind have a loop hole at the end that gets it off the hook. I have seen every opinion from trash to brilliant so kind of check it out and see what you think!
EvanCampbell wrote:For me...In the mouth of madness is like almost there. Some of the story and effects are a bit sloppy. It needed a bit more development but it still has some cool moments and it does have kind have a loop hole at the end that gets it off the hook. I have seen every opinion from trash to brilliant so kind of check it out and see what you think!
Evan's giving it a more even-tempered treatment and, to be frank, he's right. It's missing a little something. But, for me, this and Children of the Damned are the last two bastions of Classic Carpenter. He'd already strayed a bit here and there, but these recaptured the old magic in a new era. It's late and I'm beat so apologies if that's a bit obtuse.
EvanCampbell wrote:Wonder who that rotten bastard is?
Likely posts under some wacky pseudonym. You know how these show biz types can be.
Agree with Mateo 100% on ITMOM and village of the damned being the last bits of classic carpenter. There are some truly classic wide carpenter shots in madness, the approach to the asylum being one great example. and the Stephen King/lovecraft mashup is a lot of fun.
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Evan's giving it a more even-tempered treatment and, to be frank, he's right. It's missing a little something. But, for me, this and Children of the Damned are the last two bastions of Classic Carpenter. He'd already strayed a bit here and there, but these recaptured the old magic in a new era. It's late and I'm beat so apologies if that's a bit obtuse.[/quote]

I agree that ITMOM and VOTD were the last films that had the Carpenter stamp on it. I think if I would have seen ITMOM as a young teenager it would be up there with one of my favorites from him. Apparently Carpenter himself ranks the film highly in his body of work.
i have very little to say about the rest of the film, but the opening shots of Vampires feel just right, big and wide and lit the way he always does...and woods is right on par with Carpenters usual "Western Hero Not In a Western" model. I can't help but think that with a tighter script, Russell instead of Woods, and made 10 years earlier that I wouldn't have better things to say about it.
Vampires is an interesting one. I've probably seen it a half dozen times because I want to like it so much, but ultimately, well, I just don't. I like all of the trappings: concept, actors, locations, etc. Heck, I even like Thomas Ian Griffith. The execution is just off. The acting often seems forced, the dialog stilted, and the editing hurried to an almost absurd level. Just one fellow's opinion.

On another note, Someone recently told me to go back and watch Ghost of Mars (I've only seen it the once when it came out) and think of it as remake of AOP13. I'll have to give that a try.