Something happening fellow Black Circle folks should know about ?

Post links in here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Last night the Zombie Apocalypse tour finally reached the Union Chapel in London - scene of the live DeathWaltz album recorded there years earlier. It was a great show and Fabio and Fulci leading actress Catriona MacColl - who was there to do a signing for the VIP ticket holders and also appeared on stage before the encore of the suite from the Beyond that finished on a close up of her eyes (on screen) - were warm and friendly. They both laughed when I greeted him with 'maestro!' and again when 'Love was the Magic' 7-inch was presented for signing (had to be done!). 'Do you really want me to sign it?' he asked and also 'apologised' for spoiling the original DW issue of Zombi with his signature. Was lucky enough to get Catriona to sign the LPs for the three movies she had acted in with Fulci: The Beyond, City of the Living Dead (the Private re-issue 'that's not an original, but a good one,' remarked Fabio) and House by the Cemetery.

When I asked why Fabio hadn't written the score for the third he laughed wryly and said 'there is a story I will tell one day...' When pressed further he admitted 'it has something to do with his father' and pointed to the guy from Beat records who featured in the video clip @deafmetal posted on the excellent red label/green label thread on this forum.

The latter told me that the order of the show and featured tracks was very similar to the Undead in Austin CD, which I picked up on the night also. So we didn't get The Beyond re-score unfortunately, but basically a re-jig of the Frizzi 2 Fulci. He opened with a long cover of a King Crimson prog rock track which threw me and a few others - prompting Fabio to explain what it was when he came on for the second half "It all begins with King Crimson,' he explained. I also got the Rewind CD and 'Assassino al Cimitero Etruscan' which I am unfamiliar with but was told was a solid score Fabio was thinking of adding a suite from to forthcoming live shows.

Having a VIP ticket also meant I got to sit very close to the band, dead centre about four rows back, so it almost felt in the darkness I was enjoying a private show at times. Surprisingly there were less people there than the Barbican gig (London, 2014) - I would say the evening was not quite sold out which was a shame, and considering it was booked as a Halloween event too. It looked like a lot of the fans were hardcore followers and had also gone for the Vip option, which meant that Fabio and Catriona were signing for about 2 hours before the show. That aside, the evening could not really have gone any better.
Attachments
Cv9GlF8W8AA1FBt.jpg-large.jpeg
Cv9GlF8W8AA1FBt.jpg-large.jpeg (332.66 KiB) Viewed 6265 times
Cv9ieeaWcAETVW9.jpg-large.jpeg
Cv9ieeaWcAETVW9.jpg-large.jpeg (276.14 KiB) Viewed 6265 times
CwAqQWRXgAE4KqE.jpg-large.jpeg
CwAqQWRXgAE4KqE.jpg-large.jpeg (228.35 KiB) Viewed 6265 times
@Spun - Great photos. Very cool to see the stage lighting inside the chapel. It looks like a beautiful venue for the F2F concert. Enjoyed your story of meeting Il Maestro and Catriona. Fabio had mentioned to me that they were working on a King Crimson cover, but I did not hear the song in Portland. Did they perform the Shark or the Perchè Si Uccidono (Goblin) suites? Looks like you had a perfect seat!

Also, Assassino al Cimitero Etruscan (AKA - The Scorpion with Two Tails) should be coming on vinyl from Death Waltz in the near future. A couple tracks from it were on a Mondo mix earlier this year. It has a song featured in the Fulci suite. The main theme "melodies" are lovely prog orchestration in the classic Frizzi style. The album also has some really percussive tracks (Drums in Trouble) which are interesting as well. A few weird synth tracks are hiding in there providing some atmosphere. Excited to see what DW comes up with for the package, and also looking forward to Contraband as well. :)

The live in Austin CD is a fun listen, especially since it's reliving memories for some of us. I have been listening to it on my commute, and I'm pretty sure you can hear somebody shouting during Blastfighter.
Hey there...

Yes Fabio and his band did indeed perform the 'Monster Shark' and the Perchè Si Uccidono (Goblin) suites - thought the latter sounded interesting so must check that one out in more detail.

Always good when a concert leaves you wanting to investigate something in more detail.

Talking of which, the Blastfighter theme played near the end really stood out for its pumping 80s intro. Hope that gets a wider release than that lathe cut 7-inch.

For now I will have to enjoy that track via the Barbican Bootleg CD (given 'free' to the VIP ticket purchasers, along with two small concert posters - one for The Beyond score and the other for the Zombie Apocalypse tour - which seemed generous and was appreciated) and the Undead in Austin recording!

Also asked about '7 Notes in Black' on vinyl and was told 'it's coming' though seems a little vague as to when and via whom.

The Union Chapel is indeed a wonderful venue and Fabio mentioned a few times that it felt like coming home. Perhaps that is kindly said of every venue they play in. Then again I guess it does have special significance as I believe the whole Frizzi 2 Fulci thing grew out of the original concert recorded there.

I must say, on reflection, the whole thing felt pretty informal and like they were playing to a crowd of friends. Guess I was lucky to witness that up close, as opposed to the larger more formal surroundings of the Barbican, my only other Frizzi concert going experience ;)
Spun out of control wrote:Last night the Zombie Apocalypse tour finally reached the Union Chapel in London - scene of the live DeathWaltz album recorded there years earlier. It was a great show and Fabio and Fulci leading actress Catriona MacColl - who was there to do a signing for the VIP ticket holders and also appeared on stage before the encore of the suite from the Beyond that finished on a close up of her eyes (on screen) - were warm and friendly. They both laughed when I greeted him with 'maestro!' and again when 'Love was the Magic' 7-inch was presented for signing (had to be done!). 'Do you really want me to sign it?' he asked and also 'apologised' for spoiling the original DW issue of Zombi with his signature. Was lucky enough to get Catriona to sign the LPs for the three movies she had acted in with Fulci: The Beyond, City of the Living Dead (the Private re-issue 'that's not an original, but a good one,' remarked Fabio) and House by the Cemetery.

When I asked why Fabio hadn't written the score for the third he laughed wryly and said 'there is a story I will tell one day...' When pressed further he admitted 'it has something to do with his father' and pointed to the guy from Beat records who featured in the video clip @deafmetal posted on the excellent red label/green label thread on this forum.

The latter told me that the order of the show and featured tracks was very similar to the Undead in Austin CD, which I picked up on the night also. So we didn't get The Beyond re-score unfortunately, but basically a re-jig of the Frizzi 2 Fulci. He opened with a long cover of a King Crimson prog rock track which threw me and a few others - prompting Fabio to explain what it was when he came on for the second half "It all begins with King Crimson,' he explained. I also got the Rewind CD and 'Assassino al Cimitero Etruscan' which I am unfamiliar with but was told was a solid score Fabio was thinking of adding a suite from to forthcoming live shows.

Having a VIP ticket also meant I got to sit very close to the band, dead centre about four rows back, so it almost felt in the darkness I was enjoying a private show at times. Surprisingly there were less people there than the Barbican gig (London, 2014) - I would say the evening was not quite sold out which was a shame, and considering it was booked as a Halloween event too. It looked like a lot of the fans were hardcore followers and had also gone for the Vip option, which meant that Fabio and Catriona were signing for about 2 hours before the show. That aside, the evening could not really have gone any better.
Thanks for the write up and pictures , sounds like it was great . I really enjoyed it the last time at union and would have loved to be there but allready had tickets for John Carpenter in Manchester that night (which im guessing is the main reason it didnt sell out , alot of people had traveled from all over the country for JC)
Spun out of control wrote:Perchè Si Uccidono (Goblin) suites - thought the latter sounded interesting so must check that one out in more detail.
The Cinevox LP was reissued by AMS in 2009 and is available in the usual secondhand places:

https://www.discogs.com/Il-Reale-Impero ... se/2111573

The OG goes for huge money. It's quite an interesting album, and is basically a split LP between Frizzi/Goblin (side A) and Willy Brezza (side B). There is a track with Edda Dell'Orso, which was part of the F2F concert suite, and I thought Giulietta Zanardi did a great job covering it when I saw them perform in Portland. For the OST, they also pulled one of the best tracks (Kalu) from the earlier Frizzi/Goblin collaboration Amore Libero. It's definitely one of my favorites, and is probably the only place to get the track on vinyl without spending hundreds of euros on an original. Lastly, the prog blaster Apopea is the highlight of the entire suite. Here is a recording of the set from the San Diego show:

Ah, had not properly researched the name of Fabio's band vocalist before, but she certainly has a strong set of pipes on her! They played the track in the above video clip on Saturday.... sounded very funky in a late 60s kind of way - could imagine Austin Powers throwing some shapes to it!

Further research has uncovered this 1989 solo album - with tracks written and produced by Frizzi!
https://www.discogs.com/Giulietta-Zanar ... se/1770442

Described as hi NRG, pop and chanson... the mind boggles!
deafmetal wrote:@Spun, yes, I believe you saw this when I posted it to the original Barbican show thread:
Hello all,

Does anyone know where this 'Barbican Bootleg' release is for sale?

Only asking as they've used a photo of mine on the back cover, and whilst getting any kind of compensation or credit seems far past it would be nice to at least own a copy myself! - I see several have sold on eBay in the past few months but nothing online about it, nor on the labels website, so I'm guessing its maybe something just being sold at shows?
Thanks.
It was a good show too.

When I saw it being used on the posters for the London show last year I thought, 'that's a bit cheeky' but it was nice to see it again all the same and I know promotional budgets are sometimes low. Then someone sent me a link to one of the sold CDs on eBay.

I guess I'll keep watching there and see if another turns up.
@ChrisDoth - I know somebody else who provided live stage photos for the live in Austin CD, so you wouldn't be alone in that realm. Perhaps you should contact the label to see if they could send you a CD?