General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By freshoj
how about a little distraction from the colored vinyl chatter?

show us pics of your setup. Setup is a vague term, so upload some pics of your turntable or your whole hi-fi or your listening chair or your shelves or your pile of 'to be cleaned' records or whatever. If you have a pic you think is interesting, I am sure the rest of us will too.

and to be clear, this isn't a show off or shame thread, we want to see all setups, even Crosleys! whatever gets those grooves out of the grooves is awesome.

so, start uploading...
By freshoj
not the best pics, but here is my (home) office setup. I'm quite spoiled in that I work from home and can spin all day.

(ok, I have tried a handful of things and can't get my images to not be upside down!)
By chandler75
NAD C555I turntable (Rega RP2 clone) with an Ortofon 2M Red pickup:

NAD C356BEE amp with built-in NAD PP375 RIAA phono amp + NAD
C516BEE CD player (with laptop on top for MP3s):

Dali LEKTOR 6 speakers with Snowline speaker cables:

By karloffsidekick
[quote=9868](ok, I have tried a handful of things and can’t get my images to not be upside down!)[/quote]

I can't crane my neck that far, so consider this a public service....
By freshoj
phew, thanks @karloffsidekick

gorgeous setup @rasmus drew - now I wish I had taken time to tidy up the office before taking my snaps. but even on the best days it wouldn't be as clean as yours. (I mean clean lines and design as well as not messy :))
By ghostfires
@rasmus - LOVE the layout of everything. That looks great!

@jmctodo - I'm very envious of your Maniac poster! Also, the dark brown shelving...was that custom made?
By static14
Here's the setup in our listening room.

Technics SL-1200MK2 w/ an Audio Technica AT-OC9/MLIII cartridge
Lehmann Black Cube phono preamp
Emotiva USP-1 preamp
Linn LK280 amplifier
Magnepan MMG speakers

other gear pictured:

Akai GX-630D reel to reel
Sony MDS-JE500 minidisc deck
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player (for cd playback) with a Grant tube buffer
By freshoj
great stuff dudes.

@ghostfires - thanks! I made the shelves. cherry ply with solid cherry facing.

oh, and my pictured office setup is this:

- thorens TD-124 turntable (with mission 774 (orig) arm with a denon DL-103 cart)
- naim components
- system sudio SA-505 monitors and a tiny velodyne sub under the desk
By freshoj
And the Maniac poster is an artists variant - 1 of only 2!
By static14
That Thorens is a beaut!
By unpopular_poet

My setup consists of my VPI Classic with a Zephyr catridge. The record shelves were custom built by my father and I -- really fun project.
By bansel
@unpopularpoet, I'm super jealous of your turntable! But hey, how do you get to those records on the top shelf??
By bansel
Here's my setup. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done.
Marantz 2225 receiver
Music Hall MMF 2.2 turntable with Acri-Plat
Pioneer speakers
And my lovely vintage Sony cassette carousel ;-)

By ghostfires
Stuntman!!
By unpopular_poet
@bansel -- I have a step stool I use to reach the higher records --- kind of interesting after a few bourbons....
By chandler75
It's fun to see all those pictures! You guys have some beautiful setups :)

Static14: Those Magnepan look amazing. What kind of sound do they produce when they're so flat?
By static14
They're the best sounding speakers i've ever owned Rasmus. They're so thin because they don't use conventional drivers, they use a dipole quasi ribbon.
By unpopular_poet

I forgot to add the rest of my setup --

Marantz PM8004
Simaudio Moon Phono Preamp
Rel t-zero subwoofer
Focal Dome speakers

This setup has taken me years to put together and I am super happy with it. I had the fortune of having a couple mint condition vintage Marantz receivers which the sales of which allowed some nice upgrades. Here's a question on setups -- power conditioning -- yes or no? I have been told it is the next logical step...just seems like a ton of money...

By freshoj
I am no golden ear, so to me power conditioning sounds like money that should instead be spent on more records (or bourbon).
By Re-animated Cat
There is a point with hi-fi equipment where the difference in sound is marginal and you're simply wasting your money. Honestly, i have friends who are professional sound engineers and they cannot tell the difference between say, mid-priced speaker cable and a £100 set. It's all branding and after a point (which is far lower than you might think), having a high-end system is only good for boasting. Spend the extra money on records!! That's what you've got the system for in the first place. Just my two cents ;)
By Re-animated Cat
Also, there are some beautiful setups on display here. Really enjoying seeing these. Rasmus - your home is gorgeous, I wish mine was that tidy. Unpopular Poet - I'm seriously jealous of your VPI Classic. Static14 - those speakers are wild! I've never seen those before and I'm really surprised when you say they sound it amazing. You wouldn't think so, them being so flat and all. Interesting :)
By monsterworship
My vanilla living room media setup.

Onkyo - TX SR700 receiver
Onkyo - TA2027 cassette deck
Denon - DP-300F with Shure M97xE
Onkyo - 5.1 surround sound speakers

Matchy matchy
By chandler75
Yeah, I'm also a big fan of matchy - I wish NAD would start making tape decks again... :)

Does any of the quality manufacturers actually produce new decks?
By freshoj
I also love the matchy (though at this point, nothing I own matches).

Here is my front room. Golden ears, forgive the speaker placement, WAF all the way on this one.

Rogers LS7 speakers
PSE IV amp
Acurus RL-11 preamp
Hagerman Bugle phono stage w/ SUT (not pictured)
Thorens 124 with Jelco arm & Denon DL 103 cart (and a homemade base/cover!)