General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By EvanCampbell
Mateo Luxman is a Japanese company that have been around for a long time and make really nice products...although most recent items are way beyond normal price ranges. This integrated amp does have a classy look.
By Oiche
Evan, similarly know nowt about Luxman but those are beautiful looking. Love that design. Am putting together a vintage system too and just bought myself a JVC amp recently. A friend gave me an old Akai direct drive deck which needs a bit of work. Speed (loss of) is always an issue with those so surgery is inevitable when I get a spare afternoon. Need a new tape deck too. Anyone any suggestions for sub $100 used tape deck that will sound better than my current woolly-sounding Denon drm540?
By Bezulsqy
@ Evan: gorgeous looking Luxman. I love their design. Great quality. Higher end of the vintage audio spectrum. Before I got my B&O kit I was looking into those. For use as a second set next to the B&O I couldn't find an affordable one at the time and went for Pioneer.
Enjoy!
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote:Oiche - Love the set up! I like the spaces you left also for the floor speakers....good idea. I will build some shelving system later this year and that is definitely an idea.

Tex great solution and looks cool also! Nice comfy atmosphere you have there!

I am putting a bedroom system together and using an old Luxman amp, and tuner I have had stored for a few years. There was a dead moth stuck right in the tuner face plate that needed to come out. So I figured it would be a good to give both a detailing inside and out.
luxman tuner.jpg
luxman 80v.jpg
luxman finished.jpg
Luxman is a pretty decent amp and looks nice. It cleaned up well
Found a site with more info about Luxman and a page for your amp as well:
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman74.htm

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman.htm
By EvanCampbell
Bez that be it! Luxman is not very known now, but in the mid to late seventies they were highly regarded along side the top audio companies. They kind of lost focus in the 80's by expanding in all different directions. They are known for having a very clean, highly detailed warm sound with great separation. I honestly forgot how good this amp sounds, especially for being 40 years old. I have not listened to it for maybe 5 or 6 years. I hooked it up tonight and was blown away by how powerful and clear it was. Even on a low volume the clarity is amazing...retrieving so many little background details. Now if I was being super critical it is a tad light in the bottom end and bass...some reviewers mention this and I agree. I was originally going to sell this combo but it is too good. I only payed 200 dollars for the tuner and amp together...an incredible deal. They seemed to be going up in prices again. Years back these were only maybe 3 to 4 hundred.
lux.jpg
lux.jpg (267.12 KiB) Viewed 8040 times
Bez I have always wondered about new cartridges for the Beogram's...are they tough to find? Do you get them retipped?

Oiche - I sent you a private note.
By static14
New amp arrived today. Just starting to give it a listen and so far i’m all smiles. It’s replacing a Linn LK280

By Mateo Sanboval
Haven't seen a black one before. Sexy.
By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote: Bez I have always wondered about new cartridges for the Beogram's...are they tough to find? Do you get them retipped?
Forgot to answer...
I haven't searched for the cartridges for a while. I got a top cartridge with little previous use as a spare for my first Beogram. Then I bought a second Beogram for parts with a working cartridge. My third Beogram had the top of the line cartridge in good shape. So I have some spares to keep me going for a while. In Germany I believe a company will retip your cartridges. However the top of the line MMC20CL cannot be retipped to the original specs.
So to answer your question: it gets harder and harder to get originals. But a retip is an option.
By inksb
I just got my receiver back from the shop, it had an issue with the power relay. It's been out of commission for a good month and it's wonderful to have it back up and running. Wife was too excited about my bday gifts and have them to me a few weeks early. Upgraded my Grado Black that was aboard for 8 years with a beautiful Ortonfon 2M Red. Figured now that I'm up and running again I'd share my setup

JVC JR-S300
Technics SL-1400MK2
Technics RS-T10
Cambridge Soundworks Tower 1's
IMG_20180325_144711.jpg
IMG_20180325_144711.jpg (787.16 KiB) Viewed 7906 times
IMG_20180325_144440.jpg
IMG_20180325_144440.jpg (804.98 KiB) Viewed 7906 times
IMG_20180325_143619_789.jpg
IMG_20180325_143619_789.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 7906 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Lovely, Inks. I think you'll enjoy that red.
By static14
Lovely setup @ inksb. The cart looks a bit far back in headshell there. What alignment do you have it set too?
By inksb
static14 wrote:Lovely setup @ inksb. The cart looks a bit far back in headshell there. What alignment do you have it set too?
It needs to be adjusted. I believe the Technics want it to be 52mm, it was hastily installed out of excitement.
By inksb
Thanks! Just ordered it.

Any recommendations for an alignment tool? I see some reasonable ones for under $20 and others use printed templates online.
By static14
inksb wrote:Thanks! Just ordered it.

Any recommendations for an alignment tool? I see some reasonable ones for under $20 and others use printed templates online.

The technics alignment tool is all you need. You keep the cart square in the headshell and move it so the tip of the diamond in aligned with the forward edge of the tool.
Attachments
8031E8A4-6534-42A2-9F4F-7D67D58EAE16.jpeg
8031E8A4-6534-42A2-9F4F-7D67D58EAE16.jpeg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 7847 times
By inksb
I found that same diagram! Thanks for the help. Always appreciated. Funny how you forget things when you don't have to make any adjustments for 8 years...

Bezulsqy wrote:@inksb: love that cabinet!
Thanks. It was a random garage sale find. The wife was leaving a friends house and the next place up the street had some furniture for sale, we were just moving into a new place at the time so she stopped. Found that thing for $30. It's cheap and looked like crap, but I refinished the top and had to secure the legs with some brackets but it's the perfect cabinet for stereo equipment, the left side which is closed houses my router, power/surge strips and all of my extra controllers and cabling for TV/videogame systems. (ie full of crap)
By inksb
My Technics gauge showed up yesterday, I reconfigured my cartridge. It was surprisingly only a tiny bit farther forward than it was supposed to be (even though it looks like it's sitting back really far. I was playing the new All of Them Witches all last night.
By EvanCampbell
I am setting up a music/tv room at my moms place and gave her my old Dynaudio speakers. These were originally all black and i did a white gloss repaint and also rescreened the grills. Not sure if anybody on here has ever done this but it took forever. Did not help it was done over the winter and was not using a professional sprayer. So much sanding and waiting for layers to dry.
speaker 1.jpg
speaker 1.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 7766 times
speaker 2.jpg
speaker 2.jpg (221.73 KiB) Viewed 7766 times

They ended up pretty good but I would not do this again. Did not like that the grill fabric was slightly transparent but it was an ebay purchase so it is what it is.
By Mateo Sanboval
From the pics, it looks like a pro job, Evan. I've never been a white speaker/component guy, but they've grown on me the past couple of years.
By texasvinyl
The baby was starting to pull records off of the shelves, so I had to take preventative measures!!
Attachments
IMG_20180707_140859025.jpg
IMG_20180707_140859025.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 6850 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Looks really nice, Tex. Classy. And now...a bunch of questions!
Are both the shelves and baskets new or just the baskets?
Where are they from?
Do the baskets accommodate all sizes of modern sleeve or are there some that must be shelved due to size restrictions?
Is that your actual dining area?
If so, how do you get away with it?
By texasvinyl
The baskets are new. From Wal Mart... These https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes ... /153986660

I can fit most records in them left to right, and I do that since they hold more that way. For wider ones you can turn them (the bins are deeper than they are wide). I am also very careful to hold them from the bottom because they very clearly were not designed to hold this much weight and I suspect the fabric bottom would easily tear and fall out.

And yeah it's the dining room haha. There really isn't another place for them, and I still have two 2x2, one 1x5 and one 1x3 plus a few crates in a couple rooms upstairs.