General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By tim28212
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:39 pm Question for everyone. Records arrive in various states of filth, even new records come from pressing plants covered in dirt, dust & debris. Do you guys do a light cleaning before playing them? Or do you throw them right on the turntable most of the time? I'm so impatient that I usually throw them right on but I feel like with my more expensive cart coming, maybe I should take better care and give them a cleaning before they ever touch the table. Thoughts?
I have a VPI RCM and most stuff gets a spin on it before it gets a spin on the table. Occasionally I am impatient and something will hit the table first but that's mainly new stuff. If it's used, it most often gets a cleaning before the table. One of my local shops does clean all their used records before putting them out for sale so I'm comfortable just putting something from there on the table. If I feel it needs another cleaning then I'll give it one. But most used online stuff goes on the RCM first.

Edit: Then of course the record goes into a nice new inner sleeve and an outer sleeve for the jacket.
By Jimmy_Mike
Speaking of dust and I know you guys know I love dust...we're starting a house renovation in a couple weeks. We'll be tearing up the room next to my listening station. I was planning on moving the speakers, table and amp out of the room completely and covering my 3x3 with plastic. The wife thinks I should move all the records. Two issues here, they are heavy as fuck (we all know this) and second, more importantly, if I move the records out there is no guarantee she'll let me move them back in. Any experience with this?
By static14
If there's a legit possibility moving them out of that room could mean they don't go back just cover em in plastic. :)
By Mateo Sanboval
ZipWall, James Michael. Don't even think about relocation.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:39 pm Question for everyone. Records arrive in various states of filth, even new records come from pressing plants covered in dirt, dust & debris. Do you guys do a light cleaning before playing them? Or do you throw them right on the turntable most of the time? I'm so impatient that I usually throw them right on but I feel like with my more expensive cart coming, maybe I should take better care and give them a cleaning before they ever touch the table. Thoughts?
I don't really receive that many records that are really filthy. But the older and valuable releases I tend to give a clean on my Okki Nokki. But in reality that happens maybe two times a year and then I wash a bunch of releases.
Normally I simply use the antistatic brush to remove most of the dust.
By Jimmy_Mike
Made the move to raw dog living last night. So much space and sensuality. I wish I’d taken a before and after pic, so erotic.
By Mateo Sanboval
I don't know what the Galloping Chicken has to do with any of this, but congratulations on your intestinal fortitude, James. You're a braver man than I.
By Mateo Sanboval
Whoa! Inks is flexing that drip.
By inksb
I cleaned that Inspectah Deck record I picked up recently that was very very noisy between tracks and it's now dead quiet. So happy to have this finally. I made it through about 3/4 of that stack yesterday afternoon before calling it quits. Standing in one place for 2 hours really gets to me and I needed to do something else.

In other update news, my Nagoaka is supposed to finally arrive this week. Looking forward to setting it up
By inksb
Bub wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:20 pm That's a sexy looking piece of machinery. Congrats, Inks.
Thanks. The design of the unit was a major draw for me. Looks really clean & simple, one thing that Pro-ject does well with all of their stuff. The other reason I went with it was the size, it's much smaller than VPI or Okki Nokki, and I'm limited on space.

It's one weird design drawback is the drain hole for the reservoir also functions as a vent, it just so happens to be right under the record so you can blow dust directly on the side you just cleaned. I guess they recently started including a plastic platter that prevents this from happened but my unit must be older stock as it didn't come with one. It's not really an issue, I just used some tubing from my brewing equipment and some foam from the packaging to create a vent that goes to the side instead of straight up.
By Bub
Your reasoning for choosing that model is spot on. I'm digging it. Perhaps you can reach out to Pro-ject to see if they can send you that plastic platter piece on its own.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bub wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm Your reasoning for choosing that model is spot on. I'm digging it. Perhaps you can reach out to Pro-ject to see if they can send you that plastic platter piece on its own.
I would absolutely fire off an email.
By inksb
I sent them an email but I actually will still use my method, I grabbed a fitting from the hardware store on my lunch. I'll show you guys what it looks like once I install it later. The idea of using the platter means you can reintroduce dust/hair/debris that fell off the side or stuck to the platter due to static electricity so when you flip your clean side over to rest on the "dirty" platter. So if I don't have to use it I won't. I know I could wipe it down after every flip but that just adds to the process :) Trying to shorten my cleaning time.
By inksb
So my wonderful cat is smart enough to open the doors I installed on my bottom row of record shelves. I woke up the other morning to find the door wide open and a record pulled halfway off the shelf and the corner chewed to pieces :(
(poor Red Queen Kills 7 Times)

I decided to make some rails and buy large sheets of plexi. I had to drill holes through the aluminum channel, paint black, mount to units and then install a small latch at the top to keep it from tipping away from the shelves. This a better solution and looks nicer imo.

Last edited by inksb on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
15AB6AAE-F0F8-481C-B4D6-FB8EB16FACB2-754-000000F3A6BCABDA.gif
15AB6AAE-F0F8-481C-B4D6-FB8EB16FACB2-754-000000F3A6BCABDA.gif (2.93 MiB) Viewed 1884 times
2B5EA301-07F9-40A2-B880-25EB09034027-754-000000F54470BE13.gif
2B5EA301-07F9-40A2-B880-25EB09034027-754-000000F54470BE13.gif (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1884 times
By inksb
This is the drain/vent hole

This is my solution which I like better than the platter (which is already in the mail surprisingly)

By tim28212
@ink, nice work. I like the idea of going platterless. There is a youtube video of someone doing that with a VPI that I've considered.