General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Steve Powder
inksb wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:50 pm
Steve Powder wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 pm Yes, I sold 1/3 of my record collection a couple weeks ago just to get a great amplifier. I recommend just heavily culling records I think JT said it keeps it "Fresh"
What did you pick up?
Tandberg TIA 3032. Pretty great one I'll post a pic
By inksb
I learned some new stuff recently. I've been cleaning records like crazy lately. I had some new and old records to clean, I listened to one of the new ones before cleaning it, it had a few little pops and cracks but nothing too out of the ordinary. Well after running through a stack of 10 records, I ended up putting that record I listened to prior to cleaning on the table the next day. To my surprise the lead in grooves were really crackly, so bad it sound like an old dirty record. There was a lot more crackle through out the album and the grooves leading out of the album did the same thing. This didn't make sense to me, I checked all the other new records I had cleaned, same thing. I did some reading and realized a lot of people put the cleaning solution on the record, vacuum it off and then do a distilled water rinse and vacuum. I decided to try this out but also ended up buying the MoFi Super Record Wash as well. MoFi reviewed really well with various testing that I found around the web. I recleaned all my records from the last batch with new MoFi stuff and doing the distilled water wash, made a huge difference. All of that static in the opening grooves is gone. I'm very happy with this discovery and I have since redone a bunch of the VS records I cleaned weeks ago. Excited to see if they are actually in better condition than I initially thought.
By tim28212
I always do a rinse, 2 acutally, regarless of whether they the maker of the wash says you need one or not. Wash, rinse, rinse, set out to air dry a few minutes, then into a MOFI sleeve. I've used MOFI before, good stuff.
By elifunk
hey @inksb, just some trick i follow:

the best cleaning i can do involves always doing at least one rinse with distilled water as the last step, whatever product i have previously applied.
a washing machine is essential, whether it is a knosti, vacuum or ultrasonic.
it is especially important not to dry the record with any cloth. wait for it to dry by itself (15 \ 20 minutes are usually enough)

then this is my set up to play:

1) removed the record from a clean antistatic protective sleeve and a light caress with the brush

2) one complete rotation with silicone roller

3) weight on the record to stabilize

4) stylus cleaning

5) dust catching arm to be placed on the turntable (optional but if I keep the windows open I need it)

6) zerostat 3 milty. this is the real deal. goodbye static charge.
four shots and no more pops

By inksb
Thanks @eli. It's nice to see what others do with their setup and process. I've contemplated picking up that Zerostat gun many times, it's just so damn expensive. I have more static in my home than I'd like even though I don't have any carpet near the turntable
By elifunk
i understand the problem very well, i have fought against it for years in my house with static.
with the procedure i have described, i have practically eliminated it completely.

then everywhere i go, when i touch equipment i always get light shocks, it's probably my body that has strange electromagnetic fields ahah

another very useful tool to fight the static, to apply on the turntable.
washi is a traditional japanese paper made from the fibers of mulberry trees. restricts vibrations, reduces static electricity and prevents dust from accumulating.

By inksb
elifunk wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:24 pm another very useful tool to fight the static, to apply on the turntable.
washi is a traditional japanese paper made from the fibers of mulberry trees. restricts vibrations, reduces static electricity and prevents dust from accumulating.
I've never heard of these. Does this go right on top of your slip mat (mine is a technics rubber mat)?
By texasvinyl
Interesting, I have problems with static and dust. If I use a brush, chances are high the record will then get static charge and attract even more dust. I was looking at the zerostat also. Is there a knockoff? They've been around forever I am surprised there aren't some cheaper options. These SRX jazz pressings sound incredible, but I find they're especially static prone!
By elifunk
texasvinyl wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:52 pm I was looking at the zerostat also. Is there a knockoff? They've been around forever I am surprised there aren't some cheaper options.
honestly i have no idea. always seen that brand for records but the price is worth it.

sometimes in the past it happened to me that the needle continually attracted dust and I had to clean it often even while listening to the same record.
since i abandoned brushes, cloths and introduced zerostat, a world of serenity has opened up to me.
By Steve Powder
Actually I really recommend getting a brush that is grounded, like this. Took away all the dust instead of leaving a bunch of it on the record. Audio technica has one grounded I think Image
Last edited by Steve Powder on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dollarhyde
Wow!!

Some serious cleaning going on. I have an okki Nokki and don't really use it that much due to the time and effort it takes up.

But when I use it I've never done a rinse cycle, I use the okki Nikki fluid diluted in distilled water, and give a very wet wash (I like to use a lots of liquid).

This is all I use for cleaning. My deck is in a side board cupboard to minimise dust and clutter. I know this is supposedly bad for sound but It seems fine to me, I've also seen serious audiophile heads do similar.

I have a cork slipmat and will never go back to felt.

@elifunk your positive review of the zerostat gun has me interested.
By elifunk
yea @dollar it's a tool i really like to recommend.
it eliminates real problems that are apparently invisible, but less dust on the surface and less pops when listening is a huge improvement. it is something beyond being audiophiles, which i have ignored for many years.
but when we spend a lot of money on records it also makes sense to dedicate some optimization to listening.

this video is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGozrUp-RM
By Dollarhyde
Thanks for the video @eli I see it for £60 in the UK

It's crazy how there really is no ceiling in how far you can go for the ultimate listening experience.

Some hi fi gear is insanely priced but the DIY heads are the true audiophile elite.

Before I die I would at least like to sit down in front of
and experience a set up like this, truly amazing.

By elifunk
haha I'm afraid of audiophiles, but i still have the certainty of never entering that world because a) I'm not rich, b) I'm not looking for perfection.

said that, if i received a SUGARCUBE SC-2 as a gift i would gladly use it : D

I quote: "It removes clicks and pops as well as surface noise from vinyl in real time! And it also records 24/192 files, auto tracks out and searches from Discogs database and auto tags music! Plus has a headphone amp build in, WiFi access, external dac option (using holoaudio of course) and has features to hear ONLY clicks, pops etc or a complete bypass feature too "

all for humble 4000 euros
By texasvinyl
elifunk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:04 pm haha I'm afraid of audiophiles, but i still have the certainty of never entering that world because a) I'm not rich, b) I'm not looking for perfection.

I quote: "It removes clicks and pops as well as surface noise from vinyl in real time! And it also records 24/192 files, auto tracks out and searches from Discogs database and auto tags music! Plus has a headphone amp build in, WiFi access, external dac option (using holoaudio of course) and has features to hear ONLY clicks, pops etc or a complete bypass feature too "

all for humble 4000 euros

What in god's name?!? I looked this up. The thing looks very similar to something I keep on my desk -- an M-Audio FireWire audio interface. This sugar cube looks like an interface with software strapped on top, like the click/pop algorithm. I bet you could mimic those algorithms with audacity or some sort of other program.
By ScoJo
Yeah this shit is just bewildering to me. A high spec interface so that you can rip your LPs to digital? Sure thing, makes all the sense. But a device for converting your LPs in real time/smoothing out the playback and removing pops/clicks etc.... so that it doesn't sound like a record? And you're no longer listening to analog playback?
Give me a break.
A device for people who want to buy and play records, but who don't like how vinyl sounds!
By inksb
elifunk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:04 pm haha I'm afraid of audiophiles, but i still have the certainty of never entering that world because a) I'm not rich, b) I'm not looking for perfection.

Many people consider us audiophiles already. The look I got from my friend when I told him I bought a $400 cartridge for my turntable was bewilderment.

So I feel much better about my cleaning set up and situation now. I have cleaned close to 40 records over the last few days. I'm ready to not clean anything for a little while but I wanted to make sure everything that I had done wrong was corrected. I put on Morricone's The Mission last night which was probably the worst sounding of my recent pickup's, just lots of noise from static to pops and clicks. Well it sounds substantially better, still some slight surface noise but that's to be expected with the condition it was in. Time to relax and spin a bunch of freshly cleaned records.
By elifunk
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:14 pm This sugar cube looks like an interface with software strapped on top, like the click/pop algorithm. I bet you could mimic those algorithms with audacity or some sort of other program.
this 100%, it is a tool that optimizes your time, especially when you intend to digitally hundreds of records and not have to do post editing.

ScoJo wrote: A device for people who want to buy and play records, but who don't like how vinyl sounds!
hehe it has several settings, I'm sure it's a machine with which you can do very interesting things.
it's obviously something extreme, but it's fun to know it exists.
an american friend of mine recently bought it to rip his collection.
By elifunk
inksb wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:59 pm Many people consider us audiophiles already. The look I got from my friend when I told him I bought a $400 cartridge for my turntable was bewilderment.
hell if it's important to have a good cartridge!
for years i have used the shure 44-7 for djing on any record but when i moved on to something more serious i saw the difference in quality, then i started taking care of the records in a more professional way in last decade (when i was younger i used to throw OBIs in the bin :D)
By static14
for those looking for another option to help with some pops and clicks there's the Park's Audio Puffin. I have one in my second system and aside from being a very nice phono stage it has a built in option to reduce pops and clicks and it's really, really well done.
By static14
My old cart was getting a little long in the tooth. Decided to go a different direction in the new year, moving away from LOMC to HOMI. So far it sounds very very nice.
Attachments
IMG_6503.jpeg
IMG_6503.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1903 times