General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
static14 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 pm good stuff @Ink! the only thing about going without a platter that worries me is warped records.
I honestly don't have very many warped records in the collection, the vacuum is pretty strong it holds the record tight to the arm and if it's warped enough that the vacuum can't hold it I could always put the platter on or do it by hand with my old system.
By Jimmy_Mike
Jimmy Savage here,

So do I need a whole new cart or is swapping out the Ortofon red for a blue sufficient to appease the audiophile gods?

How many times would a sophisticate change carts over a, now confirmed, 12 years period?

I think I hold the record here for longest cart use and longest leaving your table spinning in runout (36 hrs). Chicks dig the long ball.
By Jimmy_Mike
static14 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm stylus' need to be replaced every 1000 hours groove time (give or take) depending on stylus profile. All you need to grab to upgrade your red to a blue is a new blue stylus, pop off the old one, pop on the new one and you're good to go. you won't need to check alignment or mess with the tracking weight.

https://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-2M-Cartr ... 6460&psc=1
So you fools change your needles every 2-3 years?
By static14
roughly. I generally wind up changing carts instead of just popping on a new stylus. Mostly because LOMC carts don't have replaceable stylus'. I'm contemplating getting my current cart retipped when it's time is up though. It has about 550 hours on it right now. So still a while to go yet.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy Savage's journey of discovery is a compelling watch.
By tim28212
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:23 pm
static14 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm stylus' need to be replaced every 1000 hours groove time (give or take) depending on stylus profile. All you need to grab to upgrade your red to a blue is a new blue stylus, pop off the old one, pop on the new one and you're good to go. you won't need to check alignment or mess with the tracking weight.

yes, it can be a PITA but considering the investment I have in my vinyl it's well worth it.

Don't want one of those high dollar VS editions getting chewed up with a dull stylus. :)
By static14
tim28212 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:32 pm
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:23 pm

yes, it can be a PITA but considering the investment I have in my vinyl it's well worth it.

Don't want one of those high dollar VS editions getting chewed up with a dull stylus. :)
this. 100%
By inksb
...inksb sitting in the corner staying very quiet while watching this all unfold, luckily his current stylus is only a little over the "estimates" provided and his sweating has slightly decreased...
By ScoJo
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm Jimmy Savage here,

So do I need a whole new cart or is swapping out the Ortofon red for a blue sufficient to appease the audiophile gods?

How many times would a sophisticate change carts over a, now confirmed, 12 years period?

I think I hold the record here for longest cart use and longest leaving your table spinning in runout (36 hrs). Chicks dig the long ball.
I got three solid actual lols from all this.

Perhaps, at heart, I too am a savage.

Rock on, JM. Rock the fuck on.
By inksb
The long wait has finally ended. MP-200 has landed and sounds absolutely incredible. It sounds so good that my wife looked at me with raised eyebrows and said "it sounds like we are in the room with them". I spent a long fucking time getting my cart all switched around and aligned. I used the technics alignment guide that attaches to the head shell and then used a few different protractors. You should have seen me, I looked ridiculous, I had all the lights on in the room, a huge handheld flashlight and a headlamp. I also discovered through this process that my tone arm has a vertical adjustment with the gimbal. I was completely unaware of this and my previous cart was not adjusted properly, mind you it was only about 1mm out of proper alignment.

I spun the first and last track on Princess Mononoke Image album, it sounded phenomenal, there were some subtle vocals I had never even picked up on before, I didn't notice any distortion on the last track. I then tried out Jason Isbell's Southeastern and discovered it's actually mastered like hot garbage. Followed that with some Alessandroni E Il Suo Complesso which simply floored me. Finally I threw on Hosono House and I discovered that there were a few subtle things I never noticed before, like how he sounds like he's too close to the mic for the first line of the song but backs up to the correct distance. Overall it seems like a huge upgrade over what I had and it's not even broken in yet. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Side note: it's crazy how nice of a picture my phone can take if it has good lighting.
By Bezulsqy
That looks and sounds like something special. Very happy for you @inksb!

Talking about old styli... mine is 35 years old I think... has unlimited hours of play :-)
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:18 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:31 pm Jimmy Savage's journey of discovery is a compelling watch.
I've got some personal hygiene questions coming soon
I've seen the pictures and I wouldn't change a thing. After all...
By tim28212
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:37 am The long wait has finally ended. MP-200 has landed and sounds absolutely incredible. It sounds so good that my wife looked at me with raised eyebrows and said "it sounds like we are in the room with them". I spent a long fucking time getting my cart all switched around and aligned. I used the technics alignment guide that attaches to the head shell and then used a few different protractors. You should have seen me, I looked ridiculous, I had all the lights on in the room, a huge handheld flashlight and a headlamp. I also discovered through this process that my tone arm has a vertical adjustment with the gimbal. I was completely unaware of this and my previous cart was not adjusted properly, mind you it was only about 1mm out of proper alignment.

I spun the first and last track on Princess Mononoke Image album, it sounded phenomenal, there were some subtle vocals I had never even picked up on before, I didn't notice any distortion on the last track. I then tried out Jason Isbell's Southeastern and discovered it's actually mastered like hot garbage. Followed that with some Alessandroni E Il Suo Complesso which simply floored me. Finally I threw on Hosono House and I discovered that there were a few subtle things I never noticed before, like how he sounds like he's too close to the mic for the first line of the song but backs up to the correct distance. Overall it seems like a huge upgrade over what I had and it's not even broken in yet. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Side note: it's crazy how nice of a picture my phone can take if it has good lighting.
@ink, congrats man! I LOVE stories like this. Aligning a new cartridge can be a tedious job but so worth it when you get the results you mentioned. Have a great time rediscovering your music. :)
By CrossedPete
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:37 am The long wait has finally ended. MP-200 has landed and sounds absolutely incredible. It sounds so good that my wife looked at me with raised eyebrows and said "it sounds like we are in the room with them". I spent a long fucking time getting my cart all switched around and aligned. I used the technics alignment guide that attaches to the head shell and then used a few different protractors. You should have seen me, I looked ridiculous, I had all the lights on in the room, a huge handheld flashlight and a headlamp. I also discovered through this process that my tone arm has a vertical adjustment with the gimbal. I was completely unaware of this and my previous cart was not adjusted properly, mind you it was only about 1mm out of proper alignment.

Hearing you talk about this is really giving me something to think about I should really pay more attention to my cart and it’s lifespan. I’m pretty sure I’m still good for a while but when it’s time to replace maybe I should think about an upgrade. I spend all this money on the records why wouldn’t I want them to sound as great as possible.
By inksb
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:33 pm I spend all this money on the records why wouldn’t I want them to sound as great as possible.
This is something I fight with myself over constantly. I am a cheap bastard. I always try to find a the best deal on everything and hate paying full price. I have made two huge purchases that I never would have for my setup this year and I'm really happy I did. I work a second job on the weekends and it's my "play" money. So that has been the reason I could afford these upgrades. I think I'm done for a while and I'm going to go back to diverting that money to purchasing too many records again.
By Hatter313
I’ve been considering upgrading to a blue from the red. I’ve had my current deck for about 6 years but I have gone long stretches without spinning unfortunately so I’m sure I’m ok as far as cartridge life goes...but maybe it’s time anyway.
By Dollarhyde
That's looks great @inks. I really need to slow my record spending to invest in my gear. My problem is I think I really need a new TT before getting a new cart.

I have one of these early vestax TTs (PDX A2 MK2), it's brilliant, all MDF and metal (no plastic) solid and quiet DD motor. Height adjustable tone arm. But! It was designed for DJing, scratching even, and so has a short tone arm to reduce skate/needlejump. To get technical there is no overhang. So distortion near the run out groove is not that uncommon.
I use a Shure white label cart (replace stylus about every year) This helps a little.

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a new tone arm but that would be beyond me.

*EDIT!!! Just found there ARE replacement j/s tone arms for.my specific TT!! The Quest begins!!! 😁😂
By CrossedPete
inksb wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:10 pm
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:33 pm I spend all this money on the records why wouldn’t I want them to sound as great as possible.
This is something I fight with myself over constantly. I am a cheap bastard. I always try to find a the best deal on everything and hate paying full price. I have made two huge purchases that I never would have for my setup this year and I'm really happy I did. I work a second job on the weekends and it's my "play" money. So that has been the reason I could afford these upgrades. I think I'm done for a while and I'm going to go back to diverting that money to purchasing too many records again.
I feel you man but sometimes it’s nice to treat yourself:). Sometimes I will get a little side cash as well but I like to call it “cake”. I think I should start saving said cake to do a few upgrades on my very basic set up.
By Steve Powder
Yes, I sold 1/3 of my record collection a couple weeks ago just to get a great amplifier. I recommend just heavily culling records I think JT said it keeps it "Fresh"
By inksb
Steve Powder wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 pm Yes, I sold 1/3 of my record collection a couple weeks ago just to get a great amplifier. I recommend just heavily culling records I think JT said it keeps it "Fresh"
What did you pick up?