General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
I have one block of 4x3 that sit atop a piano, not affixed.

And another block of 8x2 that free stands on wooden floor.

Then another tower of 8x2 across the room, atop an old set of cabinet speakers.

And a final 2x2 block on top of a wardrobe.

Basically, if the Midlands is ever hit by a quake above 6/7 on the Richter, I'm probably dead :-)
By Dollarhyde
ScoJo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:45 pm I have one block of 4x3 that sit atop a piano, not affixed.

And another block of 8x2 that free stands on wooden floor.

Then another tower of 8x2 across the room, atop an old set of cabinet speakers.

And a final 2x2 block on top of a wardrobe.

Basically, if the Midlands is ever hit by a quake above 6/7 on the Richter, I'm probably dead :-)
Think I'm getting confused by what you mean by 8x2, or you have very high ceilings and are a madman ;D
By inksb
None of mine are attached to the wall but that's because I just have 3 units that are 2x2 so no worry of them toppling over. Although any of the units that are 4 tall I would definitely recommend attaching them to the wall.
By ScoJo
Dollarhyde wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:04 pm
Think I'm getting confused by what you mean by 8x2, or you have very high ceilings and are a madman ;D
Both! :D

IMG_1704.JPG
IMG_1704.JPG (958.66 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
By Dollarhyde
Wow!! A vinyl monolith!!!

Dude, does that tower not wobble at all. I primarily bolted mine to the wall having two small children running around them, but even then, recently I planned to unscrew them from the wall to essentially wrap them up in plastic while some building work was done. I unscrewed them and they swayed quite easily from side to side, so hastily screwed them back. Still managed to hermetically sealed them though.
By ScoJo
Dollarhyde wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:38 pm Wow!! A vinyl monolith!!!

Dude, does that tower not wobble at all. I primarily bolted mine to the wall having two small children running around them, but even then, recently I planned to unscrew them from the wall to essentially wrap them up in plastic while some building work was done. I unscrewed them and they swayed quite easily from side to side, so hastily screwed them back. Still managed to hermetically sealed them though.
They're very solid, and each corner join of each kalax unit has large blob of blutak which stops any kind of slippage/movement of the separate units against each other. My floor is super flat and ground-floor solid too, and it's right hand edge is butted up against other furniture.
I don't have kids running about, but it would take one running at full steam straight into it to cause any kind of issue is my guess!

My tower of power is purely a result of limited space meets expansion of wax platters. Not ideal, but also nowhere near as iffy as it looks! (and actually draws the occasional appreviative gasp from visitors!)
By Tron4Life
Dollarhyde wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:38 pm
Do you think 2*4 in horizontal level would be wavey without bolting it?
By Dollarhyde
Tron4Life wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:55 pm
I would have guessed laying longways on the floor so it's only two units high would be pretty damn safe.

Is there a reason you can't secure it to a wall? They come with 2 fancy little brackets that make it very easy to secure to the wall, with a single rawplug and screw going into the wall for each bracket. Even just using one bracket would make a huge difference (one of my shelves in a corner uses a single bracket)
The brackets don't interfere with the records either, plenty of room.

What I want to do is put some hardboard or something on the back of my shelves as the skirting board creates a gap at the back and it can get real dusty back there, also my kids have a tendency to push the records all the way back to the wall.
By thewaystation
Very interesting discussion, and an unbelievable shot of @ScoJo's obelisk. I have two 4x4 Kallaxes. They're not attached to the wall because the skirting board means the distance to the wall is too big for the Ikea brackets and I feel it is firmly grounded as is (in front of the wall, not much space left and right, no kids). That said, attaching it to the wall would feel better, and if I had kids I'd definitely do it.
I used to have a 2x4 as well, in horizontal level, in the middle of the room (it separated a bed from the rest of the room). If it is full of records then that feels extremely solid, I wouldn't worry about a horizontal 2x4 unless you're, say, playing table tennis next to it.
By Tron4Life
Dollarhyde wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:47 pm
Tron4Life wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:55 pm
I would have guessed laying longways on the floor so it's only two units high would be pretty damn safe.

Is there a reason you can't secure it to a wall?
I have skirting board there as well and don’t possess drilling machine+don’t know how long I’m gonna stay in current apt....so basically looking the easy way out.

Reading all the comments here I’m pretty convinced that 2*4 laying longways would stay put.

Thanks for the conversation so far!
By Dollarhyde
Yep, I reckon so. Skirting board shouldn't be an issue though, the system is designed to account for that. may need to buy longer screws will take a picture of mine later.
By texasvinyl
Scojo that is a massive record tower! you must be very tall hahaha

I set my room back up with two decks so I can work on a mix or two. I need to recalibrate work life balance so this is a step in that direction! This morning I cleaned carpets of dust out of my PC and got the digital piano set back up so I can start giving lessons to my son.
Attachments
MVIMG_20200802_101137~2.jpg
MVIMG_20200802_101137~2.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3870 times
By inksb
I recently got a new internet provider and I removed my old equipment from the cabinet that my turntable sits on. I had some empty space which I filled with records! It feels nice to free up some space next to my turntable again. Funny enough this cabinet was either designed to hold records or magazines on the left side.

By Vapourmeyer
Happy Birthday me. Hope everyone is well. Picked up a Rega P3 the other day along with the Rega NEO and a lovely Ursa Major brush! I've levelled the turntable accurately, upgraded the drive belt and I can honestly say it sounds wonderful. I have no idea why the hate against the Rega Elys 2 cartridge. I nailed the tracking force to 1.75 and it sounds sooooo lovely and clear, very well controlled bass and I'm hearing details I haven't heard before. My records have been given a new lease of life. Very listenable and non fatiguing sound.
By inksb
Vapourmeyer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:55 pm Happy Birthday me. Hope everyone is well. Picked up a Rega P3 the other day along with the Rega NEO and a lovely Ursa Major brush! I've levelled the turntable accurately, upgraded the drive belt and I can honestly say it sounds wonderful. I have no idea why the hate against the Rega Elys 2 cartridge. I nailed the tracking force to 1.75 and it sounds sooooo lovely and clear, very well controlled bass and I'm hearing details I haven't heard before. My records have been given a new lease of life. Very listenable and non fatiguing sound.
That sounds awesome. Happy bday!

If and when my Technics dies I may end up with a Rega. At 41 years it's still running like a champ so I'm hoping it just keeps going.
By Vapourmeyer
Hey Inksb, well Rega's are made literally ten minutes from where I live so I'm leaving a mosquito sized carbon footprint. It's good to support local too. Definitely can hear the improvement in sound from the P1 and the NEO keeps the speed in check nicely. No regrets. Well, maybe the walnut inlayed vinyl brush was a little excessive and has possibly cancelled out that footprint but hey, let's not dwell on that.
By Vapourmeyer
Thanks static. We'll I must admit I haven't posted a photo on here in ages and don't know how! It's me age see. However, it's not the most glamorous of setups, just a kallax unit with the P3 and Rega NEO on top. I have put vibrapods under everything to limit vibrations and that's about it. Sounds lovely though. Just listening to some Tears for Fears and the clarity is great. It's a humble setup but a massive improvement over my last one.
By ScoJo
Vapourmeyer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:44 pm Thanks static. We'll I must admit I haven't posted a photo on here in ages and don't know how! It's me age see. However, it's not the most glamorous of setups, just a kallax unit with the P3 and Rega NEO on top. I have put vibrapods under everything to limit vibrations and that's about it. Sounds lovely though. Just listening to some Tears for Fears and the clarity is great. It's a humble setup but a massive improvement over my last one.
Happy happy joy joy to you and your new setup! :D