General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By static14
Setup related. For anyone with an sl-1200mkII or up, an after market bearing does make for a very nice upgrade. I recieved a timestep bearing last weekend and after installing it on Monday and having a week to break it in, I have to say, I recommend it highly. :)
By Steve Powder
I've got a speaker isolating thing that came last week, it includes steel ball bearings put in roller blocks, put upon marble which the speakers sit on. I haven't got the marble yet, includes driving about 10km. Been waiting of this tweak for years now and now I haven't got the will to drive a bit to get it ready, it's funny...

I'm going to show the whole setup when I get it because this stuff is so interesting.
By Mateo Sanboval
Steve Powder wrote:I've got a speaker isolating thing that came last week, it includes steel ball bearings put in roller blocks, put upon marble which the speakers sit on. I haven't got the marble yet, includes driving about 10km. Been waiting of this tweak for years now and now I haven't got the will to drive a bit to get it ready, it's funny...

I'm going to show the whole setup when I get it because this stuff is so interesting.
Steve, I have two sets of those myself. I got them for a song from a fellow on an audio gear board. I've never tried them out either. Hmm... Perhaps the sharp tingling in my stomach is the spark of inspiration. Or maybe it's just the Reuben I had for lunch.
By Vapormeyer
setup1.jpg
HI all, just thought i'd post a pic of my setup. Its composed of a Rega PL1, Marantz PM5005 Amp and Mission LX2 speakers (one on the other side of the room).
Due to limited space and the speakers being below the player, which isn't ideal, every component has had to be isolated from vibration so the speakers have Polipods under them, four each. And the player sits on a MDF base which then has four Vibrapods of the correct weight capacity underneath. There's not even a hint of vibration now.
Not sure if you can see it on this photo but the vinyl is being held up by a Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Display stand, a complete rip off luxury that completely wasn't needed, but it's very well made of metal and I love to see the cover whilst playing, and this does the job handsomely. It's a modest setup I know, but I love the sound from it, and the warm rich sound from those Missions is really nice. The album is the new Japan comp from LITA, I really don't want to take that shrink-wrap off but will succumb at some point, oh and I'm taking names for the plant.
All the best.

setup1.jpg (225.77 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Vape, that's a beauty of a setup. I've read up on those Missions before; nice to see them in the World. My copy of Kankyo Ongaku should be on its way soon. I'm really looking forward to this installment of LITA's ambient/new age series. And my vote for your plant (in a beautiful pot by the bye) is Hiroshi in honor of Yoshimura's ambient minimalist masterpiece, Green.
By Vapormeyer
That's very kind of you sir. Hiroshi does seem very appropriate. I'm really crossing everything that LITA are going to repress Green. There's been some hints made and the eye-watering current price of it is crazy. Here's hoping.
By Mateo Sanboval
Vapormeyer wrote:I'm really crossing everything that LITA are going to repress Green. There's been some hints made...
There have? That is amazing news. I wonder if it'd be on the Empire of Signs label.
By Vapormeyer
The info was flakey at best Mateo, but it feels like the right time to reissue it with all the renewed interest of all things Japan. LITA have mentioned a 'very special' project.
By Mateo Sanboval
Vapormeyer wrote:The info was flakey at best Mateo, but it feels like the right time to reissue it with all the renewed interest of all things Japan. LITA have mentioned a 'very special' project.
Dare. To. Dream.
By Dollarhyde
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Vapormeyer wrote:The info was flakey at best Mateo, but it feels like the right time to reissue it with all the renewed interest of all things Japan. LITA have mentioned a 'very special' project.
Dare. To. Dream.

Ooh, I think this is the one particular Japanese new age piece I'm really aching for (of course that MUJI BGM cassette too (on vinyl), but that's a given ;) )
By Dollarhyde
Vapormeyer wrote:
setup1.jpg

Good to see your good words around here again vapour.

Nice little set up, although audiophiles would freak at that speaker placement ;). I aim to have something a little similar but speakers on top of a side board. Just waiting to find the right speaker, I now have a nice 2nd hand Arcam fmj amp.
But the speakers, Klipsch, PMC, kef, tannoy, buchardt, totem, elac, monitor audio, mission... so many to choose from, old, new.

Curious to hear that comp too, an interesting selection on there although I have passed on it so far.

As for the plant 'Zitan'
By Vapormeyer
Ha ha, thanks dollar. I freak at the speaker placement too but it sounds real nice. We have two alcoves and a big fireplace in the middle so I'm a little limited for room. If we win the lottery the loft will be mine! . I've heard nothing but good things about the comp. Waiting for a few hours spare to really give it my undivided attention but it's bloody half term isn't it!
By Vapormeyer
Bezulsqy wrote:
Vapormeyer wrote:
setup1.jpg
Nice setup. Very cosy. I'd go with Fabio for the plant.
Thanks Bezulsqy, cosy is definitely the word. Crowded is another. Fabio is a great name.
By Mateo Sanboval
Dollarhyde wrote:
Vapormeyer wrote:
setup1.jpg

Good to see your good words around here again vapour.

Nice little set up, although audiophiles would freak at that speaker placement ;). I aim to have something a little similar but speakers on top of a side board. Just waiting to find the right speaker, I now have a nice 2nd hand Arcam fmj amp.
But the speakers, Klipsch, PMC, kef, tannoy, buchardt, totem, elac, monitor audio, mission... so many to choose from, old, new.
Don't sleep on recent offerings from Definitive Tech and Wharfedale.
By Dollarhyde
Vapormeyer wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:
Vapormeyer wrote:
setup1.jpg
Nice setup. Very cosy. I'd go with Fabio for the plant.
Thanks Bezulsqy, cosy is definitely the word. Crowded is another. Fabio is a great name.
Near field listening in luxury with that leather upholstery.

@mateo not heard of definitive tech will check them out. I have some oolde wharfedale towers that are way too boomy and blurry in the low end but I could imagine their newer models are respectable, and well priced.
By Mateo Sanboval
Dollarhyde wrote:@mateo not heard of definitive tech will check them out. I have some oolde wharfedale towers that are way too boomy and blurry in the low end but I could imagine their newer models are respectable, and well priced.
Yep. DefTech D9 and D11 are excellent bookshelf models. They don't get a lot of pub, but when they do, it is usually high praise. I have heard them and they are really good. Wharfedale is hit or miss but both their Denton 80th and 85th anniversary speaker were very good, if warm, affairs and their Diamond 225 is a true honey. It punches way above its price point. It was a finalist for Stereophile speaker of the year in 2017 which is absolutely ludicrous for a sub $500 speaker. Anyhow, I digress.
By Bezulsqy
In Europe we have Dali speakers. Danish manufacturer. They make excellent speakers for every budget.
Going the secondhand route for any type of speaker is in my opnion always a good idea. More bang for your buck.
By Dollarhyde
@mateo
Checked out definitive tech they make some very nice bookshelf speakers, added to my list of options. Will also have to check up on those wharfedales.

@bez I know Dali they are very popular with a hifi chain here in the UK, good to here good words about them. All the recommends are appreciated but I guess I really need to check some of these brands/models out in person. I'm budgeting somewhere around £500

And excuse my stupidity I meant "zatine" not zitan
By Mateo Sanboval
^^Love this flick. enjoy the journey, Brother Dollar.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Dollarhyde wrote:@mateo
Checked out definitive tech they make some very nice bookshelf speakers, added to my list of options. Will also have to check up on those wharfedales.

@bez I know Dali they are very popular with a hifi chain here in the UK, good to here good words about them. All the recommends are appreciated but I guess I really need to check some of these brands/models out in person. I'm budgeting somewhere around £500
Yes, Dollar, that‘s probably the best approach to check out some potential speakers in person - maybe then even trying out 1 - 2 pairs at home. In my view the own hifi setup and especially the room situation has a big influence on the outcome. Personally I will not buy a new set of speakers anymore before auditioning them at home.