General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Purplemule74 wrote:Klipsch has recently posted a newly branded speaker system entitled "The Capital". I like the style a hell of a lot, and they are throwing in a free record if you buy one.

I'm patiently waiting for Cyber Monday in the event they offer a further discount.

Link(s):

http://www.klipsch.com/products/the-capitol-three

http://www.klipsch.com/products/the-capitol-one
If you're looking for stereo sound from the same line, I've read pretty good things about The Sixes (http://www.klipsch.com/products/the-sixes). The only caveat being that the built in phono stage is weak sauce, but I don't imagine many here would give up their phono pre(s) anyhow.
By texasvinyl
Don't think I've ever posted my little studio/man cave. I don't get as much time in here as I'd like what with the baby and all, but I'm happy to have some space in the house that's mine. About half of the soundtrack stuff fits up here plus my computer, digital piano, guitar amp and pedal board, apc controller, turntables, mixer and rokit 6 monitors, and my old HD CRT tube tv and the vintage video game consoles. Plus my shoe boxes of 7" records and some knick knacks stuff.

By Oiche
Thought I’d post some pics of my newly built record room. Very happy with it. My twin girls are not mobile yet so may have to train some ninja squirrels for when that day soon comes...
ImageImageImageImage
By Mateo Sanboval
Oiche! What a setup. I'd be plenty happy, too. Couple few queries. Which model are those floor standers? What are the ROYGBIV colored spines to the left of your Kiss of the Damned print? Is that an Oud by your computer? And, lastly, props for featuring those old Ghost Box LPs. I've always loved the layput and design of those records.
By Oiche
@Nathan - there’s about 7000 LPs n the room believe it or not. Ive still got a lot elsewhere but have needed to cull a lot and am proud of myself at being able to do it! :D
@Mateo - Speakers are Q3050’s; first 3 cubes are Bruton library lps, nice splash of colour!; that is an oud, bought for me in Syria by my best bud (cant play it unfortunately but have always loved North African music). Always loved GB design too. :)
By Mateo Sanboval
Oiche wrote:@Nathan - there’s about 7000 LPs n the room believe it or not. Ive still got a lot elsewhere but have needed to cull a lot and am proud of myself at being able to do it! :D
@Mateo - Speakers are Q3050’s; first 3 cubes are Bruton library lps, nice splash of colour!; that is an oud, bought for me in Syria by my best bud (cant play it unfortunately but have always loved North African music). Always loved GB design too. :)
Ah, yes, the Brutons. I should've guessed. Great to hear from you, Oiche, and congrats on the new setup.
By Dollarhyde
@Oiche, great set up! May I ask is that a new REGA P3? If so how is it? My better half is getting me some hifi kit for my 40th and Im hung between the new REGA p3 or a pair of ELAC Debut F6s. Decisions decisions...

Oh, and by the way, If you squeeze the records in really tight at the bottom they can't pull them out ( they will try ;) ).
By Oiche
Thanks all! Nice to pop in again after a bit of a break.

@DollarHyde - Yes it is, and I can hugely recommend it, the sound is stunning, especially paired up with my Q3050s! Beats the hell out of my old project deck. For me no choice there, although the debuts look smart. You have a keeper there, if a P3 is on offer for bday pressie! :)
By Hatter313
that is stunning. and I second the nice Ghost Box display, gorgeous
By Oiche
Thanks guys.
@thewaystation - that wall of shelving has been custom built and securely fitted to the wall. Its not going anywhere!
@Dollarhyde - You will not regret amigo.
By texasvinyl
So as the little one shows a strong ambition to start crawling and walking, I started wondering how I could make an attempt to protect the records. My big 5x5 ikea is firmly screwed into a ledger board that's anchored into the studs, so the shelf isn't going anywhere. I need to anchor the other ones so he doesn't pull one down on himself!

As for the records, the best thing I could come up with was these foldable storage cubes from Wal Mart. They have sturdy handles on both sides and fit perfectly in the ikea cubes. I think they're only appropriate for the bottom two rows as they are quite heavy loaded up, and I don't trust them at all. I suspect it's a real possibility that the bottom--thin poly fabric--will tear, so I support them by the bottom. Hopefully having at least the bottom two cubes inaccessible will buy me enough time until he's old enough to know not to mess with them.

How has it been for you guys and kids with the records?
Attachments
IMG_20180306_185720025.jpg
IMG_20180306_185720025.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 7613 times
IMG_20180306_185656217.jpg
IMG_20180306_185656217.jpg (4.66 MiB) Viewed 7613 times
By skeletonbutt
A couple years ago I bought my kid (now 8) a few records of his own and for the most part he knows how to handle them and put them on the player, flip them over, etc. He understands they're delicate and not to touch them OR I WILL LOSE MY SHIT. The same applies to the projector screen which has remained unblemished.
By Oiche
@Texas - To be honest your set up looks already much better protected than mine. Someone suggested earlier wedging the vinyl in bottom shelves very tightly so small hands cannot pry them out! Mine aren't mobile yet so haven't given it serious thought but its a great question and am keen to hear others thoughts. I did get the guy who built my shelving unit, to leave a recess either side, so the floor standers could be pushed back into the wall, away from running toddlers when not being used.
By EvanCampbell
Oiche - Love the set up! I like the spaces you left also for the floor speakers....good idea. I will build some shelving system later this year and that is definitely an idea.

Tex great solution and looks cool also! Nice comfy atmosphere you have there!

I am putting a bedroom system together and using an old Luxman amp, and tuner I have had stored for a few years. There was a dead moth stuck right in the tuner face plate that needed to come out. So I figured it would be a good to give both a detailing inside and out.
luxman tuner.jpg
luxman tuner.jpg (271.04 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
luxman 80v.jpg
luxman 80v.jpg (248.11 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
luxman finished.jpg
luxman finished.jpg (326.94 KiB) Viewed 7530 times
Luxman is a pretty decent amp and looks nice. It cleaned up well
By Mateo Sanboval
I know next to nothing about Luxman, but those are lovely pieces of equipment, Evan.