General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Looks beautiful @frost. I don’t know a lot about different elements so I had to look this on up.
Do you use it on a Philips turntable? I read the original needle was able to play quadraphonic records.

I still want to get a quadrophonic setup at one point.
By frost
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 am Looks beautiful @frost. I don’t know a lot about different elements so I had to look this on up.
Do you use it on a Philips turntable? I read the original needle was able to play quadraphonic records.

It is playing on a Dual CS 731Q.
I stumbled upon this as I was helping a friend out with selling a few of these cartridges and reserved one for myself. It does have the original needle plus an original replacement needle. I did a lot of reading on this and found a lot of varying information about the different types of needles. My understanding is, it's more about the cartidge itself that enables quadrophonic playback but still not sure.
By Bezulsqy
frost wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 am Looks beautiful @frost. I don’t know a lot about different elements so I had to look this on up.

It is playing on a Dual CS 731Q.
I stumbled upon this as I was helping a friend out with selling a few of these cartridges and reserved one for myself. It does have the original needle plus an original replacement needle. I did a lot of reading on this and found a lot of varying information about the different types of needles. My understanding is, it's more about the cartidge itself that enables quadrophonic playback but still not sure.
I think you are right. But if I am not mistaken this element was equip with a Shibata needle to pick up all the quadrophonic tracks. I assume you can replace different types of needles on the element and that way loose or gain the quadrophonic function.
By static14
New cart arrived today. Batteries are dead in my scale so ill have to wait until tomorrow to really dial it in 100%

By Mateo Sanboval
Whoa.

Sexy.

bulgingdollarsigneyes.gif/img
By tim28212
static14 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:20 pm New cart arrived today. Batteries are dead in my scale so ill have to wait until tomorrow to really dial it in 100%

look forward to hearing what you think. I've been looking at this, the Hana ML, and a few others.
By EvanCampbell
Chris - like Tim I am also real curious about this cartridge. I heard it shared similar qualities to the Lyra Delos at half the price.
By static14
@Evan I haven’t heard the Delos myself but I’ve read quite a few reviews that have the AT punching well above it’s price point. So far I think it’s a winner. I really enjoyed the Hana SL it’s replacing but I have to say everything the Hana did well the AT bests pretty handily.
By inksb
I am uneducated in the world of cartridges but I just looked that one up, holy hell that's $900?!?!?! I would love to hear that compared to my meager 2M Red.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:13 pm I am uneducated in the world of cartridges but I just looked that one up, holy hell that's $900?!?!?! I would love to hear that compared to my meager 2M Red.
Inks, my rec is upgrade to a Blue. It's far superior and affordably so. That said, no shade from me; I used a Red for many years.
By static14
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 am
inksb wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:13 pm I am uneducated in the world of cartridges but I just looked that one up, holy hell that's $900?!?!?! I would love to hear that compared to my meager 2M Red.
Inks, my rec is upgrade to a Blue. It's far superior and affordably so. That said, no shade from me; I used a Red for many years.
The nice thing is the red and blue share the same body, so just pop on a blue stylus and you’re all set. :)
By inksb
static14 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 am
The nice thing is the red and blue share the same body, so just pop on a blue stylus and you’re all set. :)
Thanks for the tip! I need a new receiver before I even think about spending money on a cartridge/stylus. I've been running my spare receiver as my main one has some issues, I tried to get it fixed but with no success. Plus I have the inability to stop buying records consistently so there's a constant bleed of funds lol
By tim28212
New (to me) bereau for the turntable and Cornet pre-amp. It was free and better than what I had. Not sure this will be the final outcome once all is said-and-done but liking it for now.
Attachments
PA053091.JPG
PA053091.JPG (294.26 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
By ScoJo
I dig it Tim! And if/when you get a tape deck, I bet one of those drawers would be perfect for starting the 'cassette wing' of your collection ;-)
By Mateo Sanboval
Lovely bureau, Tim. Who makes those iso blocks you're using?
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:47 am I dig it Tim! And if/when you get a tape deck, I bet one of those drawers would be perfect for starting the 'cassette wing' of your collection ;-)
@Scojo, you're right. one of th drawers would be perfect. I was actually looking at used tape decks yesterday. I'm justnot sure I can bring myself to get back into them. But I can't seem to shake the thought of getting one. :)
By tim28212
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:15 am Lovely bureau, Tim. Who makes those iso blocks you're using?
@Mateo, here is a link, they also have the cork ones (scroll down) if you want to go that route. They work nicely and alot cheaper than the ones sold in audio stores.

ISO Blocks
By Mateo Sanboval
tim28212 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:15 am Lovely bureau, Tim. Who makes those iso blocks you're using?
@Mateo, here is a link, they also have the cork ones (scroll down) if you want to go that route. They work nicely and alot cheaper than the ones sold in audio stores.

ISO Blocks
Love it, Tim. Great hack. Thanking you.
By tim28212
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:13 pm
tim28212 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 pm

ISO Blocks
Love it, Tim. Great hack. Thanking you.
@mateo, I can across these while searching for something to put under our grandfather clock. Everytime someone walked by it the chimes would clang together. Put one of these under each footer and not a ping out of it when we walk by it now. At .62 each I have them under most everything in my system. We even got some of the larger squares to use under the honey extractor to keep it from walking away when it's out of balance. They work!
By Mateo Sanboval
Ha! That's fantastic. I may try it out on a couple of pieces of hardware myself.