General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I decided to post my setup first because it has a lot to do with the reason I am into everything STBC stands for.
A couple of years ago I started to show my girlfriends son the movies I grew up with. Because he was only 12 I started with the great action flicks from the 80's and more specifically the Schwarzenegger and Stallone stuff. Since he started watching the Walking Dead I figured we should delve in the great gore made before CGI existed.
One of the first movies I showed him was Dawn of the Dead. This was around 15 months ago. In that movie a record player i shown that I didn't know, but that looked absolutely beautiful. At that moment I decided I needed that player :-)
First I started collecting the records I listened to in the 90's and mainly from Belgian artists (I was born in 1980 to put everything in perspective). Being a sucker for special and limited editions I stumbled on the releases from Death Waltz and Waxwork. I know and love the films, but never really listened to the scores. Reading a lot on this forum has opened a new world!
I ordered some Death Waltz through discogs. Hopefully those will arrive next week. Since this month I am a proud One Way Static and Waxwork subscriber.
I love how the people on STBC talk about their passion for music and movies. I hope to become a small part of it. And you will hear no ramblings form me about shipping costs ;-)

Take care all!

On tv Dawn of the Dead and my setup underneath.

Why can't I get the second picture shown normally? I have the idea that only landscape pictures are shown the right way and portrait becomes rotated to become a landscape version… if you understand what I mean :-)
By static14
Welcome @Bezulsqy. Lovely Beogram table you've got there!
By freshoj
Welcome! and I have had similar issues with posting pics and I still have no idea how to fix it. I have a laptop, so I will just tilt it when I look at the second pic. ;)
By chandler75
B&O... can't beat that. They haven't been doing so great lately though, and there's a lot of talk going on here in Denmark (it's a Danish company) about them maybe going out of business or (probably more likely) being bought by a bigger company.

Maybe their problem is that they're not producing turntables anymore... :)
By deathwaltz
I use the Moth cleaning fluid as it is ready made up and hassle free.
for a 7' you need to buy the 7' adaptor.
I am loving it so far. one of the best purchases i have made.
By DrRhythm
On this sort of subject, I've noticed quite a few record clamps being used by STBC members - can anybody recommend one that doesn't cost stupid money?
By unpopular_poet
@ Dr. Rhythm -- I probably use my record clamp on my VPI Classic about 25% of the time - but that could be because it screws down as opposed to just sitting on top of the record. It definitely makes a difference on records that are slightly warped, but since most of our records are played at a reserved volume because of a sleeping toddler, I am not sure I can tell the difference. Hope this helps.
By unpopular_poet
but I should have read your post more clearly, sorry. What is your current turntable?
By DrRhythm
It's a ProJect RPM 1.3 - definitely want a screw down rather than a weight - Michell make one that isn't too silly so I might try that.

Yeah, it's for the slightly warped scenario.
By tim28212
a new rectifier tube for my Hagerman Cornet 2 :)

Mazda coke bottle 5Y3GB, I just wont be able to try it out till the weekend :(

By Hatter313
Well, as I was settling into the new place I decided to purchase myself a birthday present. Finally went and got myself a big boy setup, stripped down courtesy of turntablelabs in NYC. Still figuring out the final furniture configuration, but for now here she is...

First spin was the opening track from House of the Devil, sounded killer!
By EvanCampbell
Hatter looks cool...I like the matching white theme!
By freshoj
Gorgeous Hatter!
By Hatter313
Thanks,

That Pro-ject DC is a killer table, loving the sound from it. I went with the acrylic platter upgrade, and i'm glad i did, such a quiet spin,

I moved the furniture around again on it, so i've got it sitting on a nice black Expedit 2X4 unit. gives it some nice height and some room to space those Audioengine speakers a bit. overall, i'm pretty thrilled with the whole system, and turntable labs got it to me within two days of placing the order, free shipping!
By hncreature
@Hatter313 - Liking the speakers? A5+...yes? Looking to add a pair of speakers to another room and these are getting solid reviews
By Hatter313
@HNC

Dude, they sound great. I was hesitant to go with powered speakers, but the streamlined set up is really nice, and the sound out of those things is crystal clear. I would totally reco them.
By DrRhythm
Have you got any EQ capability with those speakers or is the signal coming direct from the turntable? I always like to be able to tweak a little bit!
By deathwaltz
2x Columbia GP-3 portable decks and a GMX-3 mixer.
SO happy right now
By deafmetal
@Spencer - That is rad as hell. Party to go!
By deathwaltz
Yeah they are pretty cool , made in Japan , the decks play vertically too ! The decks are fairly easy to get the mixer not so much , been after a set for ages .
Now I have them !
By texasvinyl
I watched DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist go bananas on these things at the end of a show a few years back! They had them strapped around their necks and were scratching 45s vertically. Super fun, where did you dig those up?
By deathwaltz
Yahoo Japan Auctions
my downfall !!!
By prettybleak
just got one of these U-Turn tables. i went for the Orbit Plus with the acrylic platter. nothing too major, but a definite step up from my craigslist special i've been rocking for the past couple years: