General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:44 pm So I recommend picking up these. While not quite as good as Kallax, they do function the same and cost close to the same.

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=better+homes+cube

I have the 4x8 one and it's fine, it's not as wide as my Kallax so it looks a little funny stacked on top of it but function over visuals.
Thank you very much. These should work out just fine.
By Bub
Check Offer Up also. I scored a 2×4 Kallax for $20. It had some wear but nothing major & it was easy to dissemble for the trip back home. Just make sure you have a rubber mallet along with your tools ;)
By inksb
Almost finished my new record shelf/cat bench. We used to have a sectional in this room and Beast always sat in this window because there was a couch there to get access. When we got rid of it I felt bad for him because he had nothing there, my wife recommended building a record shelf that he could sit on, so I did just that. There will be a pillow on top of it that's actually attached and fits the top properly but I haven't got that far yet. It's made of nice plywood (this shit is $70+ a 4x8 sheet, prices are crazy), trimmed with poplar, feet are ash, stained mahogany to match my speakers and shelf my equipment sits on. It has sliding plexi doors that keep the plastic chewing monster away from the records.

PSX_20220317_105119.jpg
PSX_20220317_105119.jpg (254.55 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:52 pm Almost finished my new record shelf/cat bench. We used to have a sectional in this room and Beast always sat in this window because there was a couch there to get access. When we got rid of it I felt bad for him because he had nothing there, my wife recommended building a record shelf that he could sit on, so I did just that. There will be a pillow on top of it that's actually attached and fits the top properly but I haven't got that far yet. It's made of nice plywood (this shit is $70+ a 4x8 sheet, prices are crazy), trimmed with poplar, feet are ash, stained mahogany to match my speakers and shelf my equipment sits on. It has sliding plexi doors that keep the plastic chewing monster away from the records.

PSX_20220317_105119.jpg
Literally everything about this is a beast... very very nice work sir.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:52 pm Almost finished my new record shelf/cat bench. We used to have a sectional in this room and Beast always sat in this window because there was a couch there to get access. When we got rid of it I felt bad for him because he had nothing there, my wife recommended building a record shelf that he could sit on, so I did just that. There will be a pillow on top of it that's actually attached and fits the top properly but I haven't got that far yet. It's made of nice plywood (this shit is $70+ a 4x8 sheet, prices are crazy), trimmed with poplar, feet are ash, stained mahogany to match my speakers and shelf my equipment sits on. It has sliding plexi doors that keep the plastic chewing monster away from the records.

PSX_20220317_105119.jpg
Beautiful work!
By inksb
That's a beauty @static. What model is it? And as a novice, how does a new tone arm effect your overall sound?

I'll be honest I didn't know you could swap tone arms on a Technics. At least not to a different brand.

I see you're still using that DS 003, how has that been going?
By static14
@Inks It's an Origin Live Encounter MK4. Yeah you remove the whole arm assembly on the SL-1200 and there's just a big hole to plop in an armboard and you can install pretty much any arm as long as it's the right length. Time consuming because you have to completely take the table apart, but not too difficult.

Still really digging the DS Audio cart. Amazing tech. The arm made a pretty noticeable difference in the sound quality actually. More detail, better separation, tighter bass, among some other nice changes.
Attachments
IMG_6817.jpeg
IMG_6817.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 1708 times
By tim28212
Blackbird with ruby cantilever back from SoundSmith and finally mounted.
Attachments
P7090161 (3).JPG
P7090161 (3).JPG (205.55 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
By EvanCampbell
luxman r-1050.jpg
luxman r-1050.jpg (162.56 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
I have been using this luxman r-1050 in my bedroom for a bunch of years and wanted to fix an issue that bugged me. Under normal room or dim room lighting the faceplate illumination is barley visible. The previous owner must of had it serviced and led lights put in but they are so faint. I ordered a pack of original spec lamp bulbs from a seller in Germany that arrived today, so hopefully I can restore its proper look....if all goes well. haha
By EvanCampbell
lux plate.jpg
lux plate.jpg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Even in complete darkness the led lights look dull and the color is like bile from the exorcist.
Last edited by EvanCampbell on Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By EvanCampbell
led bulb.jpg
led bulb.jpg (152.81 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
I opened it up and this unit only has 4 bulbs. One on each end of the faceplate and one behind each meter. You can see the 2 led bulbs behind the meters here. mounted crooked too. So I need to figure out how i will safely solder the new bulbs because one contact point is too close to the tuner wire. If you tap that tuner line by accident its game over.
By EvanCampbell
luxman meter bulbs.jpg
luxman meter bulbs.jpg (245.37 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
luxman light meter.jpg
luxman light meter.jpg (290.23 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Have the two new bulbs mounted behind the meters. They are much bigger then the led ones and they do appear to have the original color of the vintage bulbs.
By inksb
Those look great. That Luxman looks quite nice. My Luxman has been having some annoying issues that I need to look into. I haven't had a perfectly working receiver in almost a decade now, there's always something kind of wrong with it.
By EvanCampbell
i
inksb wrote:Those look great. That Luxman looks quite nice. My Luxman has been having some annoying issues that I need to look into. I haven't had a perfectly working receiver in almost a decade now, there's always something kind of wrong with it.
That is unfortunate you are having issues...I can relate. I had a cassette deck player for years that was similar. Always issues with it till I resolved them...I got rid of it! The downside sometimes of buying vintage gear.

Yeah this r-1050 is nice and pretty much mint sound wise and cosmetically speaking. I am a fan of the 70s luxman period...probably the height of there sound and design in my opinion. In the 90s I owned the better r-1120...probably the best receiver I have had.

I gifted my mom a lux t-88v tuner cause every time she visited my place she would comment on how beautiful it looked and she likes to listen to radio. Pic below is t88v at my moms place...I think it is resting on a cambridge sr something. I cant remember the amp i gave her. That faceplate is a beauty.
lux t88.jpg
lux t88.jpg (282.28 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
By EvanCampbell
luxman bulb replaced.jpg
luxman bulb replaced.jpg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Replaced all four bulbs without any issues and kind of redirected the bulb wiring for easier access if I need to replace in the future. Also cleaned all the switches and pots. Just lining the inner wood cabinet with some EMI shielding foil before I close it back up.
By EvanCampbell
luxman bulb replaced 2.jpg
luxman bulb replaced 2.jpg (282.53 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Finished and put back together. Nice to finally fix this and get the lighting looking and functioning like it suppose to. Nothing like the glow of vintage audio. The only other thing I would like to do is give it some nice stainless steel feet. Make it have a bit more stylish outline. Problem is many of these older wood cabinets are thin and are just a screw fastener with rubber feet. I will have to tap in some kind of m6 thread insert...probably with a flange support so I can screw in some nice feet.