General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Feeling good about joining the P2 gang so far! Will be pulling out some original pressings this eve, of stuff I'm more familiar with - see how she holds up to a first session ;)
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:47 pm @Nathan - hard as granite at this end.

My Rega P2 has arrived today - my first ever 'new' TT (I've always had 2nd hand/vintage - my last two decks were both lovely Lenco GL85s but sadly the current deck has started to play ever so slightly slow so I made the jump to a modern TT)

FullSizeRender.jpg

So far, everything is pretty skookum, no horrible surprises. I think The Red Baron is going to serve me well, though likely lead me down the Dark Path of audio upgrades etc ;) The Rega Carbon on board stylus is a little bright sounding just now but I hope it will settle in a bit - perhaps my ears decieveth me but it's slightly shockingly detailed/bright after so many years with the Lencos. It's inevitable I will consider other stylii going forward I assume. And a record cleaning system! :O
Looking great @ScoJo! Excellent choice of colour!
By inksb
So as some of you know I've had problems with my recievers over the last few years. I've been using my shop receiver in the house because it's the only one that consistently works but still has issues where I have to spray deoxit onto the input switch to keep it from cutting out. Well a fellow internet friend on another forum I frequent who lives near me sent me a local auction with tons of stereo equipment. Most stuff was already way over what I wanted to pay and some of the cheaper stuff didn't have what I wanted. I stumbled across this, a Luxman R-114. I know nothing of Luxman's but from what I could find lots of people love them and similar units sell for $300-$500 on ebay. I took a chance on it since the only info I had on it from the auction house is that it turned on. I ended up winning it for $80, when I got it home it came in it's original box, it looked brand new. I don't think this thing has every really been used. It sounds quite a bit better than my junky yamaha I've been using. Enough so that my wife who isn't very technical when it comes to audio had a surprised look on her face when I did an A to B comparison with the same audio. Very happy with it and hope it holds up.

I also grabbed this NAD 6340 cassette deck for $30. It's definitely been used and needs some love. I'm going to clean it up tonight or tomorrow and test it out.

By Mateo Sanboval
Solid pickups, Inks. I'd bet that Luxman treats you right.
By inksb
Update on the NAD. Belt is shot (stretched and stuck to itself), ordered a new one. Only seller has it for $22 for some fucking reason. I tore it all apart cleaning it up. I'm really hoping the belt fixes it. I'll update once I get the belt in a week or two.
By Dollarhyde
Nice kit @inks and love the TT @ scojo. Ive been looking at a P2 or p3 for an upgrade at some point. Ive heard that nagaoka cartridges goes well with it.
By EvanCampbell
Inksb great catch with the luxman. I am one of those people who love them. I have owned a bunch of their products over the years. Several amps,a tuner and 2 cassette decks. I take some pics. They have great clarity.
By EvanCampbell
luxman amp.jpg
luxman amp.jpg (213.32 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
lux stack.jpg
lux stack.jpg (283.99 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Inksb at one time luxman was top tier stuff. Running neck and neck with McIntosh in the late 70's and early 80's. That was high point for luxman quality. Theywere bought out by Alpine I believe in mid 80's or early 90's and the quality went down hill. They are having a resurgence again but the prices are outrageous for regular day folks. I love their vintage pieces. Currently running a luxman amp, tuner and cassette deck in the living room. For me they made some of the cleanest looking pieces.
Last edited by EvanCampbell on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
EvanCampbell wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:28 pm
Inksb at one time luxman was top tier stuff. Running neck and neck with McIntosh in the late 70's and early 80's. That was high point for luxman quality. There were bought out by Alpine I believe in mid 80's or early 90's and the quality went down hill. There are having a resurgence again but the prices are outrageous for regular day folks. I love their vintage pieces. Currently running a luxman amp, tuner and cassette deck in the living room. For me they made some of the cleanest looking pieces.
Those are beautiful! Love their design, so clean. I much prefer equipment from the 70's and early 80's but like you said the prices seem to be rising on them, not just Luxman, everything. I've seen some of my local shops sit on the same equipment for a few years and they just keep jacking up the prices. One of the shops I often go to moves equipment pretty regularly, their prices are fair, every time I'm in there I find something I want but it's $500-$600 which I just don't want to spend that much right now.
By Bezulsqy
I love vintage Luxman!

I have the NAD 6325 but couldn't figure out how to fix a squeak in the tape mechanism. Has been a couple of years since I tried though. Maybe should give it another go.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:30 pm I love vintage Luxman!

I have the NAD 6325 but couldn't figure out how to fix a squeak in the tape mechanism. Has been a couple of years since I tried though. Maybe should give it another go.
The play button is a gross brown/green color. I recently took it out and custom painted it a color shifting purple/blue/orange. I'm hoping my my belt comes this weekend and it just works. Also hoping my breakdown and reassembly was done correctly and I didn't fuck something up.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:30 pm I love vintage Luxman!

Same. I always fancied the Luxman c-120a.
By inksb
Update on my new equipment.

Luxman has started to randomly cut out channels. I can't figure out what the cause is. Very unfortunate as it sounds fantastic. I think it may have something to do with the Main In / Pre Out, most of the time if I remove the jumpers here and put them back in a few times the audio comes back. I'm not technically proficient enough to really diagnose this though.

The NAD cassette deck is alive and functioning. After installing the new belt, I spent a couple hours trying to get everything back in place and functioning properly. I did a side by side comparison with my Technics RS-T10 and the Technics was the clear winner. The NAD sounded muddy in comparison to the clarity on the Technics. Now the Technics was owned by my stepfather and became mine when he passed in the early 90's so it's only had 1 owner. And most of the late 90's & 00's it didn't get used at all. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or if it's just a better unit. NAD is going in storage as a backup.
By Hatter313
tim28212 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 pm 12 additional cubes ready for reorganizing :)
Nature abhors a vacuum, Tim, fill’em up
By havershaw
Ok, everyone, I could use some advice.

I’m currently running a MoFi Studiodeck into a MoFi StudioPhono preamp, and an Ortofon Blue cartridge/needle.

I need some cartridge/needle recommendations. I’ve always loved the sound of my setup, but I’m starting to question the high end and mids response on it. it’s a long story on why, but basically I ripped a test pressing of a record I’ve been working on, and my rip sounded nothing like the master we sent. And I asked some friends to rip the test press on their systems, and no one’s rip sounded as scooped in the mids or as trebly as mine (and these systems are all over the map in terms of fanciness) so I’m starting to think that maybe I don’t have the best cartridge for this TT/preamp.

I’m looking at AT stuff cause I can get those at a local dealer here with no wait.
Anyone have any experience with them? Thinking of going moving coil instead of the MM.

Trying to stick in the $500-ish range, but I could sell a few things and get something pricier if absolutely necessary.
By static14
I do love the ART9 a lot, but that’s a big jump in price range from $500. I will say though if you think your setup lacks in the mids Nagaoka might be the brand to look into. Their carts are very nice, and have really lush mids.

The MP200 might be the way to go.

But if you want AT and moving coil at +/- $500 the OC9 II & III are nice as well. I had an OC9 II for a while and dug it also.
By havershaw
Thanks, @static. Did some digging into that MP200 and it does seem like it’d be up my alley, but my local dealer doesn’t carry that one. Not a total dealbreaker, but I am attempting to keep it to stuff he’s a dealer on (so he can set it up for me; otherwise I have to pay for the setup).

Still though, when I Google it, it sure sounds like what I’m looking for.

Any other AT recommendations? My shop carries the 09 models, but they have the OC9XML and the OC9XSH.

Not totally convinced that MC is the way to go for me, either. The hard thing about this is that there’s no “try before you buy” availability and this stuff is all expensive. I’m sure it’s all good, but we all have our personal tastes. What might be amazing to one person could be garbage to someone else.
By ChrisMcQueen007
I can second the Nagaoka, was very happy with my MP200 on two different turntables. It‘s great value for money (in my view you would need to spend about double to further move up the ladder), should also work on you tonearm and the Mofi deck. But I get the local dealer thing and there are certainly some nice alternatives in this pricespot, maybe he has a recommendation for your setup?