General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Bonne anniversaire, Vape! The Regas are great machines. My last TT upgrade came down to a Rega and a Technics. What a wonderful tough decision that was to make.
By Vapourmeyer
Hey Mateo, lovely to hear from you. I've never actually used a Technics before but I hear they are lovely and built to last. I love the simplicity of the Rega, very upgradeable too if I need to. Hope you're well. Any amazing vinyl purchases lately? I'm quite enjoying Japanese city pop quite now, Light in the attic have released some great stuff recently. Anyways, hope all is swell.
By Mateo Sanboval
Vapourmeyer wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:29 pm Hey Mateo, lovely to hear from you. I've never actually used a Technics before but I hear they are lovely and built to last. I love the simplicity of the Rega, very upgradeable too if I need to. Hope you're well. Any amazing vinyl purchases lately? I'm quite enjoying Japanese city pop quite now, Light in the attic have released some great stuff recently. Anyways, hope all is swell.
All is well, sir. Out side of a few bootlegs that nobody here knows anything about, I haven't bought a ton of new wax this year, but I have picked up some of the City Pop releases at LITA and a lot of Japanese Ambient stuff as well. Still waiting for someone to reissue Yasuaki Shimizu's IQ 179.
By inksb
After rearranging a few rooms in the house I have been able to move all of my records into one room. We bought a new shelf and I attached it to one of my other Ikea shelves. There was some issues with floor shake causing the turntable to skip but I ended up re-leveling the shelves and then installing brackets in the back, securing them to studs. Over half of the records have been in boxes on the floor. It's nice to have everything in one place. It also allowed me to reorganize my collection. It's divided into soundtracks, Morricone, Nicolai, Library, Anime, Japanese, hip-hop, VGM and "regular" music (rock, folk, bluegrass, Americana, etc). I also installed backing to two of the shelves below the equipment so I don't have to look at the cables for all the equipment. I'm really happy with this set up.

By Mateo Sanboval
Wicked sharp, Inks. I can't quite make out the speaker badges; what are they?
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:18 am Wicked sharp, Inks. I can't quite make out the speaker badges; what are they?
Cambridge Soundworks Tower 1's. Not anything overly fancy but I picked this up from craigslist about 10 years ago when I lived in NH. I believe Cambridge Soundworks were based in MA. They are really great well rounded speakers that were made in the early 90's. I used to sell speakers for Magnolia AV and these blew anything we carried out of the water.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:36 am
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:18 am Wicked sharp, Inks. I can't quite make out the speaker badges; what are they?
Cambridge Soundworks Tower 1's. Not anything overly fancy but I picked this up from craigslist about 10 years ago when I lived in NH. I believe Cambridge Soundworks were based in MA. They are really great well rounded speakers that were made in the early 90's. I used to sell speakers for Magnolia AV and these blew anything we carried out of the water.
NH, eh? Is that the left triangle or the right triangle? I can never keep those straight.
By Dollarhyde
Nice set up @inksb. Think I may have to also put kallax on my kallax. I think my new years resolution is also to get a better TT and set of speakers, those towers look nice.
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:54 pm looks really nice @inksb! I am sure in 12 months time you need even more shelves :-)
Yeah Mrs. inks was not very happy once she saw all the records on the shelves and there were only two empty ones lol. She told me once they are all filled I'm not longer allowed to buy records (jokingly :P)
By inksb
havershaw wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:05 am Looking great, SB! I wish I had that much space in one room for all my records.
I feel like you have substantially more records than I do. Do you have a rough estimate of how many you own?

Here's a quick update to my new set up. At my wife's suggestion, I have stained the top piece of wood to match my towers. I think it looks really nice. I also made a little stand for my current record that I'm spinning. Always wanted one, looked into buying one and the asking price was absurd so I just made one out of scrap wood in the barn.

By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:28 am Watering a flower cassette chillin in the BG nice!!
I strategically placed it in the photo to see if any one noticed it! Nice work @dollar
By elifunk
inksb wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:47 am I recently got a new internet provider and I removed my old equipment from the cabinet that my turntable sits on. I had some empty space which I filled with records! It feels nice to free up some space next to my turntable again. Funny enough this cabinet was either designed to hold records or magazines on the left side.

ha! a napoleon follower
By inksb
elifunk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:40 am
ha! a napoleon follower
Yeah! I discovered him earlier this year, Street Universe w/ Giallo Point was the first album I heard from him. Ended up picking up Dragonball G, Mulhouse 2 Brooklyn, Brooklyn In Mulhouse and Street Universe all on vinyl and the other two anime inspired albums, King of the North Star & Bronze Saints on CD. He's really good and very friendly, I chatted with him a few times online about his music and anime.
By inksb
elifunk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:35 am yea he's really a cool guy. if you are interested check his chikara album, i'm the producer ahah
That's awesome. It's one of the few albums from this year I haven't checked out. I'll check it out tomorrow
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:37 am
Dollarhyde wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:28 am Watering a flower cassette chillin in the BG nice!!
I strategically placed it in the photo to see if any one noticed it! Nice work @dollar
I noticed that before the new stain. Ha! Looks great, inks.
By havershaw
@inks according to Discogs, I’m just shy of 1700 records which seems insane but that also includes 7”s and a handful of records I have color variants of for sentimental reasons. But I also know I probably have a bunch of records I still haven’t gotten around to putting in, so who knows.

that stain looks amazing, btw.

I have a pretty small little office in my house and I hate it being cluttered so I am forever struggling with the storage issues.
My current setup is this:
522B8FC8-A2EA-47CE-9397-925F27DDD4F7.jpeg
522B8FC8-A2EA-47CE-9397-925F27DDD4F7.jpeg (551.01 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Both sides under the buffet are full.
(Small pile of records against the couch is the “to be filed” pile.)

Plus this:
87695677-D9E1-439F-9620-D0BDE70B0A4D.jpeg
87695677-D9E1-439F-9620-D0BDE70B0A4D.jpeg (342.88 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
I just added that last week - once I added this, it opened up some space in the main storage. I have a ton of Chappells coming from the EU that I ordered around Black Friday which still haven’t shown up, so I’m sort of saving that space for them and some other stuff I’ve been waiting on forever.

Admittedly...I do have 4 cubes in the spare room, too. I just hate putting records in another room because I forget I have them and I rarely play those.
By ScoJo
Some cool pics here. I daren't share one of my 'setup' as it barely qualifies as such and would likely be OCD triggering for some. My shelves are spread across four different spots, I'm probably up to about 1700-2000 myself though I'm fairly regularly culling to make room/avoid further expansion.

I do recall the words of my ex, who would often mockingly refer to my 'Empire of Things'. Still gives me a chuckle.