General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Any of you use a pre-amp in your setup? I've always just used the built in one on my receiver. Thinking of trying one out to see if it makes a difference in my set up. I was looking at the Schiit Mani 2 for $150.

Open to any suggestions or thoughts.

Current set up is a Technics SL-1400MK2 w/ Nagoaka MP-200 cart & Luxman R-114
By deafmetal
@inks - I do not feel qualified to comment on this thread, and I expect the tube preamp users to drop science/mysticism. The Schiit looks like a nice piece of gear. I have a $20 Behringer PP400 but it works without any distortion/hum I could hear. I have used this for general use tables/receivers in different locations. I am using the internal preamp on a vintage Marantz 2270 receiver in the living room which sounds amazing, but again assume nothing I am doing is really audiophile grade.
By static14
I've almost always used a separate phono stage, even when using an integrated with a built in phono section. Even the mani will likely be a notch up from what's in your receiver.
By Bezulsqy
I have a pre-amp from Cambridge Audio that I use on my second deck/receiver. It is one where you can switch between MC and MM. I am not an audiophile and only got it on the basis of some reviews on the internet. Never had a problem with it.

- looked it up when I got it: July 2014. Model is a 651p

Maybe not a bad idea to get a second-hand unit. Better quality for the same money, or the same quality for lesser money.
By tim28212
I have all separates; amp, preamp, and phone preamp. I'm using a Hagerman Cornet 2 tube as my phone pre. I also have a Lehmann Black Cube that I used when I had a second setup. It's an older model with the dip switches inside. New models have them on the bottom I believe. Anyway, it's not in use and I'm happy to send it to you for trial to see if it makes a difference before you buy. The last time it was hooked up it worked fine but I should maybe connect it up and make sure it's still working. It's been sitting around for a few years. I've considered selling it a few times but I always decide against it because my tube only handles high output cartridges and the black cube works with most any cartridge out there. My email tim28212 at gmail dot com if you want to discuss.
By inksb
tim28212 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:10 pm I have all separates; amp, preamp, and phone preamp. I'm using a Hagerman Cornet 2 tube as my phone pre. I also have a Lehmann Black Cube that I used when I had a second setup. It's an older model with the dip switches inside. New models have them on the bottom I believe. Anyway, it's not in use and I'm happy to send it to you for trial to see if it makes a difference before you buy. The last time it was hooked up it worked fine but I should maybe connect it up and make sure it's still working. It's been sitting around for a few years. I've considered selling it a few times but I always decide against it because my tube only handles high output cartridges and the black cube works with most any cartridge out there.
That is super kind to offer that up for a trial. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable borrowing a piece of equipment that's worth that much and I also feel like it may mess up my expectations as I'm looking at a unit that is roughly a 1/4 of the price. But you've introduced two brands I was not looking at into the equation. It looks like the Cornet3 is pretty cheap for a tube pre amp even if it's ugly in a clear plastic enclosure. And Hagerman's solid state pre-amp is even cheaper and has a metal enclosure.

edit: now I'm leaning towards picking up the Hagerman Bugle MC. @tim you mind sharing a pic of the Cornet2 when you get a chance. It seems like that one had a nicer enclosure than the Cornet3.
By tim28212
That's cool, I can understand that. Have fun in your endeavors. Seeking out new equipment is always fun. :)
By monsterworship
Was previously using the MoFi Electronics - StudioPhono MM/MC Phono Preamplifier. They are great but pricey.
Currently using the built in phono in my McIntosh MA352. :)
By inksb
Pre-amp has arrived. Even though the reviews said it has a bit of a break in period before it sounds "great" it's already a step up from the built in one. First record I sent at it was so Morricone's Lizard In a Woman's Skin

Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle MC

PSX_20230311_145630.jpg
PSX_20230311_145630.jpg (203.01 KiB) Viewed 491 times
By tim28212
inksb wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:00 pm Pre-amp has arrived. Even though the reviews said it has a bit of a break in period before it sounds "great" it's already a step up from the built in one. First record I sent at it was so Morricone's Lizard In a Woman's Skin

Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle MC

PSX_20230311_145630.jpg
Congrats! Hagerman makes some very nice and very affordable stuff. Hope you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine.
By Hatter313
I have powered speakers (get back, all of you, its a small apartment!" and my set up I use a Rolls phono pre amp into my deck and i've always had great sound out of it.