General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
So I just stumbled across the news of MoFi has been lying about their all analog productions for their pressings. It seems to be quite big news, not really for me as I dont' own any of their stuff but I was kind of curious what folks around here thought about it.

I'm sure the Steve Hoffman forums are having multiple aneurisms

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/20 ... l-scandal/
By static14
The dishonesty is cruddy, but their albums sound amazing for the most part. That's the important thing to me.
By monsterworship
I have a lot. I don't think they really lied, just omitted the truth.

i'll continue to buy releases that I like. Some of their stuff sounds amazing, others not so great, regardless of the source material.
By inksb
monsterworship wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:04 pm I have a lot. I don't think they really lied, just omitted the truth.

i'll continue to buy releases that I like. Some of their stuff sounds amazing, others not so great, regardless of the source material.
Yeah to me it just seems like they have always implied it's all analog which is why everyone is so upset. I'm not delusional everything is digital at some point these days and there's not really anything wrong with that, if it sounds good it sounds good. I read a really good response from a producer that made a lot of great points about how the masters used to be hot in the highs because when they cut it vinyl it would be gone and you would never have to worry about it. So the master itself wasn't the "perfect" way to listen, the final product was.
By texasvinyl
Reminder, if you bought any MoFi records you can file settlement paperwork here audiophilesettlement.com the paperwork is due tomorrow. It took me about 30-45 minutes to wrangle up the receipt emails etc.

Interestingly only some of the Mofi catalog was eligible for claims. Quite a few of mine weren't listed as eligible for claims including Highway 61 Revisited, Superfly, three Santana 1LP titles, Grateful Dead Live, Brothers In Arms and Sea Change. I wonder why for example Weezer Blue album is eligible for a claim but Weezer Pinkerton isn't.