General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
Had an incident yesterday.
I'm a press the button and walk away to do other things kind of person so once i see it started to spin i don't check on it til its done.
I must not have pushed the water tray in all the way, so all the water leaked over the counter when it drained.

Luckily, I keep it on my kitchen counter so it wasn't a major crisis but this is exactly why i don't want a machine with water by my records or other equipment.
By inksb
I do this stuff on my kitchen table for that exact reason.

I received mine yesterday, I unpacked it and read the manual but by the time I got around to where I could clean some records it was kind of late and I decided to hold off. I have a question for you guys though. Do you run a full clean and dry cycle to every record? Or if you are doing lots of cleaning do you skip the dry and just put them on a rack to air dry while you continue? To me it seems like taking that little reservoir and dumping it back in for each record can become kind of tedious but just curious what you guys have found the most efficient way to do it
By static14
I do the 5 minute clean, and I've switched to using the 5 minute drying cycle as well. 10 minutes seems like overkill, at least while i have the heat in the house running the humidity is pretty darn low.

Dumping the water back isn't that big of a deal. Plus the drying time gives the water a few minutes to cool, after a long cleaning session it will gradually heat up.
By inksb
I heat with a wood stove so these days it's pretty fucking hot and dry in my home. So I think I'll start with the 5 min clean and 5 min try then. Thanks for the tips.

Excited to dive into this tonight
By havershaw
I was doing 5 min of drying for a while, then I found some records were still ending up with some wet spots that I had to hand-dry, so I went to 10, but I have since gone back to 5.

I use 2 min of cleaning if it’s a brand new record, 5 if it’s old.

How often are you guys replacing the water in your tank?

I finally had to rinse out the filter this morning because it was pretty dirty (I did a batch of at least 20 old Capitol Hi-W records that were filthy, and I have at least 25 more to go).

Anyone else’s water tank leak/drip when pouring back in? I have to basically use 2 hands and cover the edges around the spout or it drips from there as I’m pouring. Not the end of the world, of course. I’m still just excited that I don’t have to drive 30 minutes each way to take a batch of records in.

I’m pretty sure I’ve already cleaned enough records that I would have spent more than the machine cost (although a lot were records I might not ever have gotten around to getting cleaned because they were very low priority).
By inksb
I cleaned 14 records tonight. So much easier than the vacuum setup. I have not had a chance to check out a post cleaned record but I have 3 in particular I'm curious to hear the results on. I will say so far I do not like standing near the unit while it's in the cleaning cycle, the frequency it emits while cleaning bugs my ears. I'll update with my thoughts after I check out a few records this evening.

Update:

I actually had 4 records I was using as a test.
1. La Famiglia Benvenuti - new record, listened to once and noticed no surface noise or issues
2. Ryo Fukui - Mellow Dream - had static/surface noise through out the opening 2 minutes, new record
3. Morricone - When Women Had Tales - boot that had pops and cracks after cleaning with Pro-ject record cleaner twice
4. Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - has weird mark/stain on side A and pops & cracks through out, has been cleaned twice by Pro-ject

I'm pretty happy with the following results

1. No new noise added to record after cleaning, good baseline to check
2. surface noise is completely gone from opening of record. this is fantastic
3. pops and cracks are still there. these may be baked into the actual pressing, it being an unknown boot there's no way to tell
4. didn't touch the noise caused by the stain, still has some pops and clicks through out side A but seems less prominent that it previously was. I did two 5 minute cleanings on this. Might give it another bath next go round to see if it helps more.

Other results worth mentioning is that the new pressing of Inseminoid which I cleaned twice on Pro-ject and still had noise through out both sides is now completely quiet after going through this.

I have a lot more to throw at it but first impressions are promising.
By inksb
This has been my afternoon. Playing videogames and dropping these in the cleaner
PSX_20220107_171449.jpg
PSX_20220107_171449.jpg (312.14 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
By inksb
It's great. I have it set up on the coffee table and I'm just setting it to go and playing a new game on the PC. It's been a nice afternoon. I do see what you mean about the fluid getting warm after a while though.
By horrorfromthetv
Restock expected in the end of February, thank you for your interest in HumminGuru!

HumminGuru Team January 11, 2022
By monsterworship
Tried to clean my new Oasis - live at knebworth 3xLp. Super heavyweight vinyl with thick flat edges. They would not spin at all unless I applied a little pressure to the left side.
By ScoJo
monsterworship wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:13 pm Tried to clean my new Oasis - live at knebworth 3xLp. Super heavyweight vinyl with thick flat edges. They would not spin at all unless I applied a little pressure to the left side.
The G-bros have always been stubborn gits
By inksb
Bub wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:41 pm New contender. VinylSonic- Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Auto Cleaner. Very affordable early birds still available at $149 before shipping (40% OFF $249 MSRP). Includes 7" & 10" adapters.

I took a punt at it

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... wards_page
They been pushing this on IG really hard, I have multiple ads every day for it.

I'm probably gonna order HumminGuru's stylus ultrasonic cleaner if it's not crazy expensive.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on that when it lands. Always good to have multiple options out there
By monsterworship
Bub wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:41 pm New contender. VinylSonic- Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Auto Cleaner. Very affordable early birds still available at $149 before shipping (40% OFF $249 MSRP). Includes 7" & 10" adapters.

I took a punt at it

this video is cringe AF.

not sure why they need to include the turntable, could probably be more successful without it to save some $.
By havershaw
monsterworship wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:05 pm

this video is cringe AF.
- super edited “earthy” handclap pattern ✔️

- fingertapped repetitive guitar that non-guitar players think “sounds sick, that guitar player is so good” ✔️

- unintelligible group vocals (gives us a sense of “communal togetherness, man!”) ✔️

- reverse cymbal to go into a break ✔️

- synth bass (to convey “this is NOW”) ✔️

welcome to a checklist of current music production trends that I hate that I thought died 8-9 years ago

(I won’t even start with the visuals on that video but jeez)
By reddye6
They have a FB video in which they spell “cleaning” with a “d.”
By inksb
havershaw wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:29 pm
monsterworship wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:05 pm

this video is cringe AF.
- super edited “earthy” handclap pattern ✔️

- fingertapped repetitive guitar that non-guitar players think “sounds sick, that guitar player is so good” ✔️

- unintelligible group vocals (gives us a sense of “communal togetherness, man!”) ✔️

- reverse cymbal to go into a break ✔️

- synth bass (to convey “this is NOW”) ✔️

welcome to a checklist of current music production trends that I hate that I thought died 8-9 years ago

(I won’t even start with the visuals on that video but jeez)
How about 90's hit song slowed down with sparse instrumentation and "big" vocals?
By havershaw
@inks yeah I am similarly over that phenomenon as well (especially since I probably didn’t like the 90s song the first time).
By tim28212
Finally got myself one. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.
Attachments
PC190618.JPG
PC190618.JPG (154.92 KiB) Viewed 197 times