General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
So we decided to rearrange our living room, we moved all my record shelves into the living room and moved a piece of furniture out that my turntable has been sitting on for the last 6 years. This free's up a lot more room in my living room and allows me to stop keeping records in bins and put them back on shelves. With all the plus sides to this it has introduced an issue I've never had before, the record shelves are quite rigid (ikea ones everyone has), they sit directly on hardwood flooring. When I walk into the living room now it is causing the enough bounce in the floor to make the needle to skip. Do you guys have any recommendations for turntable stabilizers that will hopefully absorb the floor shake?
By static14
Sorbothane is pretty good. Could you find some wall studs and hang a shelf? That would be the only way to really isolate the table from footfall.
By tim28212
@ink, try some of these either under your turntable or the piece of furniture you have your table on. I have them under all my equipment and under our grandfather clock which use to chime constantly when we would walk by it. These under it cut down on that alot. Still happens some just not as bad.

Anti-Vibration Pad
By inksb
tim28212 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:59 pm @ink, try some of these either under your turntable or the piece of furniture you have your table on. I have them under all my equipment and under our grandfather clock which use to chime constantly when we would walk by it. These under it cut down on that alot. Still happens some just not as bad.

Anti-Vibration Pad
I ordered a set of these and a set of Vibrapads. I actually came across the ones you recommended and remembered either you or Mateo posting about them in the past. So I ordered them and found some others on reddit recommend Vibrapads so figured I'd see if either help or not.

I don't walk around a lot while listening to music but my wife may come in and out of the room a few times every now and then. I have a lot of issues to iron out with my new set up. Lot's of leveling, reinforcing and anchoring to the wall to be had. I'm just thrilled to get my records on shelves again. I'll post pics in a few weeks once the new shelf arrives.

@static, I added those to a list as a back up if the two I ordered don't work out. Unfortunately adding a shelf isn't an option for the area and my turntable is like 20+ lbs, I'd rather leave it on a the shelves.

Another option I can do is buy a small runner and carpet padding, put it under the shelves to dampen any movement.
By ScoJo
You could try:

3DF1B429-E1C6-4562-B1BD-AB13399F08A9-1102-000002D4F5981029.jpg
3DF1B429-E1C6-4562-B1BD-AB13399F08A9-1102-000002D4F5981029.jpg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 699 times

😬
By Mateo Sanboval
Those EVA pads were Tim's suggestion here, but one that I heartily endorse. I used them with my old turntable (which was experiencing very similar issues to yours, inks) and they did the trick. They're not miracle workers, mind you, though you'd have to pay *a lot* more to improve upon their efficacy.
By Steve Powder
I found a trick by a engineer way back, trick was using bicycle inner tubes under your TT. it actually improves the sound quality aswell, I have tested it a lot during these years and I still keep one under my amp. My older Thorens is suspended so that one doesnt work under it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Steve Powder wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:39 pm I found a trick by a engineer way back, trick was using bicycle inner tubes under your TT. it actually improves the sound quality aswell, I have tested it a lot during these years and I still keep one under my amp. My older Thorens is suspended so that one doesnt work under it.
I have seen this done a few times myself, Steve.
By inksb
Problem solved! I leveled all the shelves and then installed brackets in the back and anchored them into the wall. I'm posting a picture of my new set up in the set up thread.