General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Youtube algoritms pointed me to the video below. I am curious as how you judge this.

In short:
Japanese records are better regarding quality of materials (packaging and vinyl) and the way they are handled but they are mastered in a way that the bottom end (bass) is affected.
One explanation is that people live closer together in houses that are not very well insulated.
This mainly is obvious in rock and jazz records.

I am no audiophile and I don't listen to records through headphones so I am not a good judge. (btw I am listening to the Witness OST know and I am feeling some bass while I type this).

Curious to see what you guys think...

By Mateo Sanboval
With respect, this man is the worst kind of bully pulpiteer. First, he's wrong. Second, he's making some very iffy, ignorant, and incredibly broad cultural generalizations to justify his claims. Third, he offers zero evidence that isn't entirely anecdotal. Finally, he needs to pop a couple of Tums and lay off the nightshades.
By ScoJo
Furthermore, he entirely neglects to mention that the 'oriental' ear is inherently flawed due to the lack of dairy in their diet, leading to wholesale calcium deficiency and thus improper development of the crucial 'muso-phonic' bones in the inner ear canal.
So there's that.
By Dollarhyde
As Mateo said there is zero evidence for this kind of dumb theory, that I know of at least, Micheal Fremer (audiophile journo & vinyl obsessive) has also made similar comment, based on hear say. The truth is, regardless of country you will always find good sounding and bad sounding records, simple as that. What is true is that through the 70s and 80s Japan's technological and manufacturing boom lead to some incredibly good audiophile recording and mastering techniques, for example the Denon PCM mastersound series. Secondly I've picked up Japanese press CTI jazz lps that didn't sound so wonderful, and I have a Japanese Beatles White album that sounds awesome.