General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NathanLurker
1 week after RSD it should be available everywhere. I'm gonna be looking on juno.co.uk, especially for the uk releases.

BTW. RSD uk has Tangerine Dream's Phaedra. it's a 2LP. extra tracks. I believe the extra content is Steven Wilson remixes.
By reddye6
RSD 2020 has now been moved to June 20 because of coronavirus
By reddye6
reddye6 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:03 am Some US record stores have some of the unofficial European RSD 2020 releases for pre-order

https://portofsoundrecords.com/collecti ... l-rsd-2020
https://www.bullmoose.com/c/499/6-19-20 ... o=1&page=1
https://lightintheattic.net/rsd-guide

Port of Sounds has the most available, then LITA, then Bullmoose.
Also, if you order from Port of Sounds and it's your first time, when you set up your account, you'll get an email with a discount code that you can use on your first order. I didn't see that until it was too late. Learn from my mistake.
By inksb
reddye6 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:05 am
reddye6 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:03 am Some US record stores have some of the unofficial European RSD 2020 releases for pre-order

https://portofsoundrecords.com/collecti ... l-rsd-2020
https://www.bullmoose.com/c/499/6-19-20 ... o=1&page=1
https://lightintheattic.net/rsd-guide

Port of Sounds has the most available, then LITA, then Bullmoose.
Also, if you order from Port of Sounds and it's your first time, when you set up your account, you'll get an email with a discount code that you can use on your first order. I didn't see that until it was too late. Learn from my mistake.
I tried to use the discount code on the RSD release of Alessandroni and it said it didn't qualify. So I ended up ordering the record through LITA as it was cheaper
By Revolver_OcelScott
No one seems to be selling Koyaanisqatsi. Really hoping this isn't gonna be something I'm buying off discogs in a few months for triple.
By ScoJo
Screen shot 2020-05-13 at 14.31.59.png
Screen shot 2020-05-13 at 14.31.59.png (15.63 KiB) Viewed 3664 times

By Revolver_OcelScott
ScoJo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:28 pm Screen shot 2020-05-13 at 14.31.59.png

Hahaha. Ever since I saw Philip Glass perform it live to the movie I have been obsessed with it. I have the original pressing but it's super abridged.
By ScoJo
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:03 am
ScoJo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:28 pm Screen shot 2020-05-13 at 14.31.59.png

Hahaha. Ever since I saw Philip Glass perform it live to the movie I have been obsessed with it. I have the original pressing but it's super abridged.
I also need real bad.

When I was in my early teens, we went back home to Edinburgh and visited my godparents who were these Scottish hippy types who I always thought were the coolest people growing up. They had an incredible apartment in the city filled with art and books and records. On that trip they showed me Koyaanisqaatsi which blew my mind, and (inadvertently) set me on a live long passion for Glass' music, and minimalism generally. I say inadvertently because, when they played the film that day, they turned the music off on the TV and span some Neil Young records along to the visuals, because the music in the film was 'unlistenable'. I mean, I also love Neil Young to pieces, but.... wtf?? It was only when I got hold of the VHS myself and watched it with the original score that I realised what complete idiots they were. (And it turns out they actually were idiots since, much later on they showed themselves to be pretty racist, which was a very disappointing discovery for young ScoJo. So fuck those clowns. And long live both Glass and Young! )
By Revolver_OcelScott
That film is not the same without that score! I bought the trilogy blu-ray set from Criterion, but I'm afriad to watch the other 2 films because I loved the first so much. But I'll post here if I see the 2LP pop anywhere.
By ScoJo
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 am That film is not the same without that score! I bought the trilogy blu-ray set from Criterion, but I'm afriad to watch the other 2 films because I loved the first so much. But I'll post here if I see the 2LP pop anywhere.
You absolutely need to watch at least Powaaqaatsi, it's fantastic and the score is amazing - I actually considered it for my 10 Most Treasured selection! Beyond that, there are interesting things in the other films (including the more recent 'digital' one, and the associated films like Baraka) but those first two Reggio films stand monumental.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Anyone grab anything on the "first" RSD of 2020?

Only thing I grabbed was the Signed Planet Wax Book with 7inchLP. I loved the first book about horror vinyl, so a sci-fi one is a no brainer. Amoebas site was bombarded for hours.
By ScoJo
Just a heads up on the upcoming RSD 2xLP 'expanded' Koyaanisqaatsi - it is not the same recordings as the film soundtrack, it's re-recordings from 1998 and it sounds like they have also added to the version put out on CD by Nonsuch with the inclusion of some 'sounds effects' from the film and additional music not used in the film.

Just fyi.
By 334578rpm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:13 am Anyone grab anything on the "first" RSD of 2020?

Only thing I grabbed was the Signed Planet Wax Book with 7inchLP. I loved the first book about horror vinyl, so a sci-fi one is a no brainer. Amoebas site was bombarded for hours.
Same here, was only really interested in the book. I pre-ordered it from Dark Delicacies and it should be delivered today.
By tim28212
havershaw wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:03 pm I bought the Dracula/Curse of Frankenstein 2xLP from 2HD.
Same, I also picked up Army of Darkness from my local shop.
By inksb
If I had gone out on Saturday I would have picked up Army of Darkness but I worked all day and just wanted to go home afterwards.
By Revolver_OcelScott
ScoJo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:18 am Just a heads up on the upcoming RSD 2xLP 'expanded' Koyaanisqaatsi - it is not the same recordings as the film soundtrack, it's re-recordings from 1998 and it sounds like they have also added to the version put out on CD by Nonsuch with the inclusion of some 'sounds effects' from the film and additional music not used in the film.

Just fyi.
This is kind of a bummer. I'll probably still grab it, but my hype has definitely dropped a bit.
By havershaw
inksb wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm If I had gone out on Saturday I would have picked up Army of Darkness but I worked all day and just wanted to go home afterwards.
I really wanted the Army of Darkness too, but I couldn’t seem to find one from a local store that had anything in stock online (there were big lines and crowds here and I was not gonna get involved in that).
By inksb
havershaw wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:27 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm If I had gone out on Saturday I would have picked up Army of Darkness but I worked all day and just wanted to go home afterwards.
I really wanted the Army of Darkness too, but I couldn’t seem to find one from a local store that had anything in stock online (there were big lines and crowds here and I was not gonna get involved in that).
Yeah, that was another factor but late afternoon is usually when I go after the crowds are gone. I saw people say they lined up at 1AM. People are so strange. Waiting in line for 10 hours for anything on that list is not worth it.

The shop I frequent for RSD actually wasn't even doing it this year, they were open but they are a bunch of older folks who run and work it so they pretty much are open by appointment unless there is no one in the store, they are very strict with the amount of people in the store which I respect and appreciate. I would have had to go to the smallest record shop in town for AoD.

Any one pick up Tangerine Dream Tyger? I am unfamiliar with that one but was told there are some vocals on there which I'm not really a big fan of with TD.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:39 pm
havershaw wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:27 pm
Yeah, that was another factor but late afternoon is usually when I go after the crowds are gone. I saw people say they lined up at 1AM. People are so strange. Waiting in line for 10 hours for anything on that list is not worth it.

The shop I frequent for RSD actually wasn't even doing it this year, they were open but they are a bunch of older folks who run and work it so they pretty much are open by appointment unless there is no one in the store, they are very strict with the amount of people in the store which I respect and appreciate. I would have had to go to the smallest record shop in town for AoD.

Any one pick up Tangerine Dream Tyger? I am unfamiliar with that one but was told there are some vocals on there which I'm not really a big fan of with TD.
It's definitely an aquired taste, inks. I really have a fondness for it, based purely on the era and age that I was when I discovered Td, only a few years before Tyger. I was also MASSIVELY into William Blake at that time, so it all aligned for me ;)
I would definitely have a listen before taking the plunge, it's The Dream in full on New Age mode.
By havershaw
My usual record shop opened early for RSD. They do a thing where they’re open early, and any RSD releases that haven’t sold by 10 am go on their website for online sale.
But the 2 copies they got of the Dracula/Frankenstein were sold by 10 am, I guess.
They told me it was their biggest RSD ever. Almost everything they had was sold out by 10.

I was able to order the Army of Darkness on Discogs for $36 so they’re out there at not-crazy prices.

My other usual record store (a local chain) definitely had it (I saw pics of it on social media) but they sold out of it too.
On eBay, I see people listing it as being sold out so anyone who’s super interested in this should maybe grab one before the prices get stupid.
By Hatter313
I honestly didn’t even think about RSD this year. I’ll look for the Hammer release eventually, I’m sure it won’t be tough to find later, think I’m good on most everything else right now. One thing I’ve gained from this year is greater selectivity
By Mateo Sanboval
Deep in a search for Koyaanisqatsi 2xLP and I'm in the US. If anyone has a lead online or IRL, please PM me here or drop me a line at mateosanboval over at gmail. Thanks, gents.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:25 pm Deep in a search for Koyaanisqatsi 2xLP and I'm in the US. If anyone has a lead online or IRL, please PM me here or drop me a line at mateosanboval over at gmail. Thanks, gents.
Same, but after Mateo of course. Seeing the 150 dollar sales on eBay isn't boding well. 3 online shops I tried at launch sold instantly. Really bummed as this was the only release I'd been looking forward to.