General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
I have an issue that I thought maybe some one here could solve for me.

I have a Technics SL1400mk2. It has autoreturn on the tone arm. I was in the mood to listen to Messiah of Evil this evening and half way through side 1 it just returned. I thought maybe it was a mistake but tried it again and it just returned in the same spot. I don't ever remember having this issue in the past, I've had this turntable for going on almost a decade. I don't listen to a ton of 7" but never remember this issue from years ago when I did buy them quite frequently.

Is there a way to set where the autoreturn engages? Or do I just have to turn off the autoreturn when I listen to a 7"?
By Hatter313
Can you adjust the tonearm counterweight? I had that problem when I moved my debut carbon, bumped it, and had to readjust my counterweight, it kept skating the needle back to starting position. (And dragging the needle too! Yikes)

It sounds like yours is probably an issue with the auto return, which I don’t have, but the last time my table was doing this sort of thing that was my issue.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 am Can you adjust the tonearm counterweight? I had that problem when I moved my debut carbon, bumped it, and had to readjust my counterweight, it kept skating the needle back to starting position. (And dragging the needle too! Yikes)

It sounds like yours is probably an issue with the auto return, which I don’t have, but the last time my table was doing this sort of thing that was my issue.
It's not related to the counterweight but I'll double check just in case :) you never know. It's not skating at all, it's just returning by itself well before the end of the record.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 am
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 am Can you adjust the tonearm counterweight? I had that problem when I moved my debut carbon, bumped it, and had to readjust my counterweight, it kept skating the needle back to starting position. (And dragging the needle too! Yikes)

It's not related to the counterweight but I'll double check just in case :) you never know. It's not skating at all, it's just returning by itself well before the end of the record.
I downloaded the manual and service manual for your deck. In the manual it says something about a button called the auto return switch. It is located in the upper right corner next or behind the tonearm assembly.
It says:
Should any phono disc whose central hole is off center be played, the tonearm will automatically return during the course of performance. In such a case, set the auto return switch to the OFF position, and then the phono disc can be played to the final groove.
I'll upload the manuals and share the link.

edit: manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12-39w ... S9YXRI4f4O

service manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TMVjf ... 6zBwkhN-6h
By inksb
Thanks @bez !!!! On page 7 there is an autoreturn adjustment. I will be testing that this evening. I am very excited. After this post I tested one of my LPs that has the max amount of audio on one side and it returned before finishing that as well. I'm hoping this will fix it.
By Jimmy_Mike
Quick tangent: for those folks without auto return, what’s the longest you’ve forgotten and left your table spinning with needle in the runout?
By Bezulsqy
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 pm Quick tangent: for those folks without auto return, what’s the longest you’ve forgotten and left your table spinning with needle in the runout?
Ha :-) Not long in my case. Maybe 30 minutes or so.
By tim28212
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 pm Quick tangent: for those folks without auto return, what’s the longest you’ve forgotten and left your table spinning with needle in the runout?
I've heard of people falling asleep and leaving the needle in the runout groove over night. I personally don't sleep well in a chair or on the couch so it's never happened to me. 5 to 10 minutes is probably the longest I've gone.
By inksb
Years ago when I had a table that didn't have autoreturn, I would wager anywhere from 15-20 minutes.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 pm Image
36 hrs for me.
This is a glorious gifmission. Preach.
By ScoJo
I've trashed so many stylii (in so many dumb ways) that I respectfully plead the 5th on this thread.
By inksb
Update: Problem has been resolved. It took a few minor tweaks following the manual. Thanks @bez!
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:12 am Update: Problem has been resolved. It took a few minor tweaks following the manual. Thanks @bez!
nice!