General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Jimmy_Mike
Gents, I would appreciate some recommendations on favorite websites for album reviews/criticism in the written form. I've been a pitchfork dude for too long. They seem to have fallen into the B+ trap and I recently noticed that they now make money from folks who buy albums linked through their reviews. Do these sites exist or has everyone gone over to the bald guy on Youtube...Fantano?
By inksb
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm Gents, I would appreciate some recommendations on favorite websites for album reviews/criticism in the written form. I've been a pitchfork dude for too long. They seem to have fallen into the B+ trap and I recently noticed that they now make money from folks who buy albums linked through their reviews. Do these sites exist or has everyone gone over to the bald guy on Youtube...Fantano?
I stopped reading most "critical" reviews years ago. I've always found Pitchfork a bit of a joke, they retroactively delete embarassing reviews, champion artists who they seem to be friends with and shit all over certain artists for no reason other than some weird personal vendetta. I rely on folks here to recommend stuff, people I follow on IG and I'll randomly read reviews from pastemagazine but their writing is pretty shit at times.

The only two sites I regularly go to for critical writing on music is Vehlinggo and John Hubner's Complex Distractions blog. They are both fairly niche writing but I enjoy them quite a bit.
https://complexdistractions.blog/
https://vehlinggo.com/

It does crack me up that Fantano is so popular, I find him kind of irritating but will occasionally listen to a review while I'm at work if it's an album I'm curious about.
By Steve Powder
The Quietus does some great ones, aswell as my favorite Resident Advisor if you like techno, jazz, house, ambient. It's mostly electronic music. I've got to know so much good music from that website.