General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Has anyone seen any info on the speed of the Wendy Carlos Shining 7"? As much as it worries me with hard to get singles, i mostly buy them for jukebox use, so a 33rpm would be an expensive "cool" item that gets tossed in a box with all the others. a 45 would be a star of the juke for at least the months surrounding halloween.
It appears to be 45.
D0gpryaXcAArMML.jpg
D0gpryaXcAArMML.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

And according to Spencer, they're re-recordings/covers. Jacket says "Performed by Mark Ayres" & there's a 1997 copyright for The Shining.
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.01.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.01.56 PM.png (80.44 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.05.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.05.41 PM.png (168.81 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.09.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 9.09.11 PM.png (135.74 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Thanks for the info! It never dawned on me to try to find a good pic. Interesting about it being a re-recording too. makes it a little harder to sheel out the cash, but i know if i manage ot find one that hesitation will disappear.
I might go at some point. Probably not. Last year I went at 2am, everything was sold out because I was #50 in line. Bought a bunch of crap I didn't want or need, and still have sitting around.

Anyone want to buy a Johnny cash box..... It's limited to 2500!! In the US. Plus the other 7500 they pressed for the "worldwide" RSD. I really need five discs of Folsom Prison in my life.

My local shop is pimping a huge stack of 3" record players and some kind of 3" records. And grateful dead branded guitar straps. Who knows, maybe they'll have an empty metal box people go crazy for again.good thing they reissued chic le freak though, something to get the folks moving-- and they need to get moving, since they obviously didn't see any of those chic records in the dollar bins.

Rantrantrant
The shop closest to me @tex is having 6 bands play, 2 food trucks and some other stupid events happening (mind you they only have 20 parking spots total). I drove by last year and just said no fucking way am I going in there today. There are two small shops about 15 minutes past them though so I may swing out there in the afternoon.
Last edited by inksb on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, I'll probably go. But not in the morning, and not for any of the wares they're peddling this year (I assume everything I'd want will be gone by 7:05am).

I made a point to stop by a couple weeks ago and buy some high quality used stuff.

If selling 3" toys and die cut novelty records twice a year pays their exorbitant rent then I'm *all* for it because their 10,000 sq ft space ain't cheap
People DO get in the shops for RSD. Our biggest store her in Montreal have their biggest sales day on RSD every year, they even have a free record procduced for their customers (this year, I'll get a free Rolling Stones Compilation. I don't have any Stones vinyl yet so....nice). But some people specifically avoid the stores on RSD 'cause there so much emphasis on novelties an useless represses and the prices are all jacked up and then you see the same vinyl leftovers for cheap on internet a week after and you regret buying the 30$ record at it's rsd release date price of 45$.

I still like the event. But when I do my wishlist, I keep the list of most of what I want for when they get released on internet a week after. I go on RSD to get my can't miss essentials.
@nathan you ever need some beat up Stones LP's from the 70's & 80's let me know I have way too many copies of lots of mediocre Stones records ;)
I bought a lot of "collections" about 10 years back from random people who were cleaning up space so I ended up with multiple copies of stuff like Some Girls, Undercover, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You. But never any of the ones I actually wanted like Sticky Fingers, Exile, Goat Heads Soup, Let It Bleed (I have these, just not a bunch of them). I think I may have 5 copies of Aqualung...
Pleased with my modest yet groovy RSD haul... just need to find the Goblin and Finders Keepers 7"s, and the Halt and Catch Fire Vol 2.
IMG_5667.JPG
IMG_5667.JPG (919.97 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
My Assassination of Jesse James also arrived today, so plenty of music to dive into this weekend. Hope you're all having a good one.

Ps. Bad news on the TP S2 sleeve - it was designed by Mr Lynch himself! Eek. Luckily for those of us who are averse to it's charms, there's a nice 12" insert within of an acceptable alternative ;)
Nice haul Scojo,

Curious to know what the stone tapes is like, I love Desmond briscoe's stuff but the stone tapes was before my time.

Also is the basil Kirchin a reissue or unreleased WWW material. Currently Quantum is my go-to Kirchin WWW related trip.
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm We have no real participating RSD stores near me in upstate NY, so I have to rely on online releases. Nearest store is almost 100miles away.

Is that Twin Peaks Season 2 going to get a wide release eventually?
Where are you located? I'm in western NY and we have 5 shops in the area that participate in it. They are about 45 minutes to an hour from me but still less than 100 miles. I just found out from Ryan's post that two shops are carrying Creepozoids so I'm venturing out this afternoon to see if I can snag a copy.

I was able to buy Deadly Avenger from 2HD. His stuff was live at like 7am EST this morning and don't forget if you use 2HD the DFC code still works for 10% off your order.
inksb wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:02 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm We have no real participating RSD stores near me in upstate NY, so I have to rely on online releases. Nearest store is almost 100miles away.

Is that Twin Peaks Season 2 going to get a wide release eventually?
Where are you located? I'm in western NY and we have 5 shops in the area that participate in it. They are about 45 minutes to an hour from me but still less than 100 miles. I just found out from Ryan's post that two shops are carrying Creepozoids so I'm venturing out this afternoon to see if I can snag a copy.

I was able to buy Deadly Avenger from 2HD. His stuff was live at like 7am EST this morning and don't forget if you use 2HD the DFC code still works for 10% off your order.
I'm in the Albany area, nearest one listed on the site said 80ish miles away (160 two ways). I grabbed the deadly avenger this morning too, waiting on their TP to post. And now I see there's a new Max Richter RSD release too that I'm gonna have to hunt down.
I got The Magnetics, Riz Otolani's Africa Addio, Pino Donaggio's Corruzione Al Palazzo..., Disco Godfather, Creepozoids, Morricone's La Stagione Dei Sensi, Identikit Ost and got a free record pressed and given by the local store, it's a compilation of 'early years' from the Rolling Stones. I'm going to eat, and in an hour or so, going to a second store to get (hopefully) Rough guide to Arabian Jazz, the Blood on wax book, and "perversion Story".

The 1st store gave donuts and coffee to people waiting in line, and they gave about 50 coasters shaped like a record. It was pretty cool. They had the Goblin Yell for 25.99SCAD but I passed cause those two tracks are available on the release of "Patrick" and "el fantastico viaggo...". I'll track those down instead.
Dollarhyde wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:32 am Nice haul Scojo,

Curious to know what the stone tapes is like, I love Desmond briscoe's stuff but the stone tapes was before my time.

Also is the basil Kirchin a reissue or unreleased WWW material. Currently Quantum is my go-to Kirchin WWW related trip.
I love The Stone Tape so was an easy decision to get the score- but be warned: its about 15min of bleepy bloops (very minimal) and an existing Paddy Kingsland track. Its good tho.

The Kirchin is a long overdue reissue of WWW pts 1+2 with different sleeve- as apparently Basil hated the release version!
Very happy to finally have it- though it's an ungodly racket make no mistake! (environmental sounds + autistic children + evan parker + derek bailey- in other words...party time!!)