General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
I've agreed to spin some records later this month with a DJ friend of mine, halloween themed nights at a bar and another show venue inbetween bands.

Should I take original pressings of horror stuff (beat, varese etc.) or do I take the later represses where available?

I play all my records at home but I've never really been in a DJ setting where my stuff can damaged by others or stolen etc.

Also thought about leaving the covers at home, and just putting some of them in blank white jackets that I have laying around, to cut down on weight .

Maybe i'm over thinking it.

Also welcome any suggestions for things to add to the crate that are halloween related but not too obvious (OST or NON OST), I already have like 40 records pulled.
By static14
I think I’d do the reissues in the white inners. Probably paranoia but I’d be worried about spilled drinks.

Granted I’ve never DJ’ed a live event :) so most likely it is just my paranoia.
By inksb
I'm with Static on this one, even though I've never DJ live before that seems like the safest bet.
By ScoJo
monsterworship wrote:I've agreed to spin some records later this month with a DJ friend of mine, halloween themed nights at a bar and another show venue inbetween bands.

Should I take original pressings of horror stuff (beat, varese etc.) or do I take the later represses where available?

I play all my records at home but I've never really been in a DJ setting where my stuff can damaged by others or stolen etc.

Also thought about leaving the covers at home, and just putting some of them in blank white jackets that I have laying around, to cut down on weight .

Also welcome any suggestions for things to add to the crate that are halloween related but not too obvious (OST or NON OST), I already have like 40 records pulled.
I personally take a mixture of OG and represses when I DJ, and yes always leave those jackets at home - it's actually WAY easier for those to get damaged than the LPs what with jamming them in an out of a box throughout the night, and depending if you're drinking... you get a lot less time than you think to treat things nicely in the heat of battle!

Have a blast, sounds great Chad! Make sure you spin that weird song from Midnight, and the Grace Jones banger from Vamp and I'll be happy
By ScoJo
ScoJo wrote:
monsterworship wrote:I've agreed to spin some records later this month with a DJ friend of mine, halloween themed nights at a bar and another show venue inbetween bands.

I personally take a mixture of OG and represses when I DJ, and yes always leave those jackets at home - it's actually WAY easier for those to get damaged than the LPs what with jamming them in an out of a box throughout the night, and depending if you're drinking... you get a lot less time than you think to treat things nicely in the heat of battle!

Have a blast, sounds great Chad! Make sure you spin that weird song from Midnight, and the Grace Jones banger from Vamp and I'll be happy
Ps take a torch! :)
By deafmetal
Just to pile on:

- don't bring anything that you couldn't stand to have damaged or stolen.
- anticipate damage, especially spilled drinks, and keep your eye on your bag/crate/gear.

The above is real concern for very large/chaotic events with lots of characters going in and out of the booth area. I have seen it all: drinks dropped on the turntables, the entire equipment table crashing over into a heap, all manner of things stolen, and even pieces of the wall vibrating off and sending fragments of paint dust down into my record bag. I hope you never have to experience anything like that, but some venues can be like entering a war zone.

I know some people like Spencer view it as a badge of honor to DJ out with OG copies of expensive records, but I would advise caution for even the most trusted local watering hole.
By texasvinyl
I've done Halloween stuff... Hardest thing IMO is vibe. You know, do you go with darkwave stuff, cheesy 80s horror comedy, etc. Some of the iconic horror stuff just does not translate to djing out.. I didn't think anyone out drinking on Halloween was looking to hear dissonant scary noise stuff.

I found myself gravitating to stuff like the Crypt Jam... It's topical, funny, and at least some people are going to for sure know the Crypt keeper. I think I spun that 2x7" shaped like grey saw blades. Can't remember the name but you know the one.

Title track to House of the Devil (the Cars rip off!) I love but no one will know what its from... Day of the Dead and creepshow are good. Amityville Horror has that really great horror disco theme. Friday 13th part 3. If you have Bambaataa's Theme 12" you could do that instead of Carpenter since it's basically an electro remix of assault from precinct 13... Or you could do OG version and mix it into something that works like "operation Munich" from black September that giallo disco put out.

He Comes by Wojciech Golczewski is another great darkwave 7"... It Follows theme is huge. Hourglass by Survive if you have the bands album or The Guest LP. End credits dance mix on the Starry Eyes OST is a good one with that horror "ahhh" choral sound that reminds me of frizzi...and opens a transition to something like The Beyond theme.

Kiss of the Damned Love Theme is a fantastic track, that may or may not work, and no one will know it. But it's fucking great. Track "Rick's Tape" from Cooties OST has some super heavy dirty drums but doesn't necessarily come off as horror/Halloween oriented. Another one like that is "Becomes the Color" from Stoker. Vocal track. And the one at the end of Maniac by Rob. Or stupid shit like "They Call Him Machete"

I put everything in one of those metal record cases with padding inside and just made sure I didn't leave stuff laying around or let it get mixed up with anyone else's stuff.
By Dollarhyde
I remember DJs that played rare og stuff would always take their own cartridges, as often the house decks will have thrashed styli, and of course will be weighted to gouge a new groove in your vinyl, and bringing your own cartridges ensures that what you play will sound as good as you want.
If the og sounds significantly better than the reissue then maybe it's worth the risk? And at the end of the day enjoy blasting out your tunes, og or reissue.
By monsterworship
thanks for all the advice.

Good call on the Crypt Jam, i need to dig that out. I already pulled the Monster Squad rap, Linea Quigley, fright night theme, and some other 7's.that are more rock/music orientated. Gonna stay away from any orchestral stuff.

DJ Hangin Chad (air horn sounds)
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:DJ Hangin Chad (air horn sounds)
By abedunk
I've picked up a Halloween DJ gig at a live funk concert at Nectar Lounge in Seattle this year, SO very excited!

Here's what I have planned:

Psycho theme (first song when doors open is always really for the staff)
Profondo Rosso (get the Goblin in ASAP)
The Frantics "Werewolf" (60s Seattle garage rock w/howling!)
Chopping Mall theme (enter the synths)
Starry Eyes "Sarah" (first "music box" creeper of the night)
Dawn of the Dead "Zaratozom" (so glad to have this in the arsenal!)
Dexter theme (to perk up the crowd's ears)
Twin Peaks "Audrey's Theme" (it's the PNW, after all)
Cape Fear theme (really perking up ears with this one)
Munsters theme (back to some fun)
Christine "Kill Your Kids" (creeping again)
Last House on the Left "radio promo" (keep repeating: it's only a movie, it's only a movie...)
Zombi 2 (creepy prog gateway to...)
Blacula "I'm Gonna Catch You" (leads into first funk band)

AFTER 1st BAND
Candyman theme (remind crowd it's Halloween)
Get Out "Sikiliza Kwa Wahenga" (curious to see the reaction to this recent release)
Dokken's Dream Warriors (you must rawk on Halloween)
The Burning "Campfire Story" (slipping in a bit more spooky spoken word)
You're Next "Run Motherfucker" (synth it up!)
Mad Monster Party theme (more comic/jazz/lounge relief)
Friday 13th Pt 3 theme (sigh.... love!)
Stranger Things theme (wake up the punters)
Vampiros Lesbos "Lions and the Cucumber" (build the funk groove for band #2)

BEFORE HEADLINER
Halloween 2 theme (yep, it's the classic)
Le Frisson Des Vampires theme (creepy & rockin)
Rosemary's Baby theme (more music box spookiness)
House of the Devil opening theme (so groovy and fun - I do love The Cars)
The Omen "Ave Satani" (take that!)
Phantasm theme (synthy and familiar)
City of the Living Dead "Toward Dawn" (dark, brooding, heavy)
Michael Jackson "Thriller" (got to do it. GOT TO!)

Thanks for reminding me about the Nightcrawler 2x7" saw blades, will bring as a backup.

I know the club well, bring my own needles, will have the fancy reissue covers to show off. Crowd loves that. Caution is always important, but style is job #1.

Have fun out there, Monster!