General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DigitalHiss
I’m looking to replace the needle on my Technics. It’s a P228 head. Any good online places to shop at?
By static14
lpgear.com or needledoctor.com if you’re in the US.

If you wanna get fancy you can get a line contact or shibata replacement for more detail and lower surface noise. :)
By DigitalHiss
static14 wrote:lpgear.com or needledoctor.com if you’re in the US.

If you wanna get fancy you can get a line contact or shibata replacement for more detail and lower surface noise. :)
Thanks man..scrolling through needledoctor right now. These look a little more legit than the $10 ones on Amazon...

Now I've got to figure out which fits my turntable.

I'm guilty of not ever changing the needle on this hand me down turntable. It was never abused or anything, just sat in storage for years. Most records are quiet and sound great, but I'd like to start fresh when I set my system back up soon.
By Mateo Sanboval
DigitalHiss you are talking to the right wrong guy. Static, knows more than any sane human should about what part goes with which thing. And he'll also cost you approximately all of the money you didn't have to spend. I think he's secretly pretty deep in the pockets of Big Vinyl.
By DigitalHiss
@ mateo...I have incredible restraint which helps when you have a finite budget...

So what is the difference between a $10 Amazon head/stylus and a $30 from a online audio place? Aside from price...

I'm assuming the $30 has better materials and build quality but as far as me just trying to get some leanin' done for the future, what kind of variables come into play when choosing a new head/cartridge/stylus?
By Mateo Sanboval
DigitalHiss wrote:@ mateo...I have incredible restraint which helps when you have a finite budget...
You keep that steady hand on the tiller, boyo, and you don't look back.
By static14
DigitalHiss wrote:@ mateo...I have incredible restraint which helps when you have a finite budget...

So what is the difference between a $10 Amazon head/stylus and a $30 from a online audio place? Aside from price...

I'm assuming the $30 has better materials and build quality but as far as me just trying to get some leanin' done for the future, what kind of variables come into play when choosing a new head/cartridge/stylus?
Definitely different materials. Likely different manufacturers. What’s your budget?
By DigitalHiss
static14 wrote:

Definitely different materials. Likely different manufacturers. What’s your budget?
Maximum about $50. I don't have incredible speakers/receiver/audiophile designed room covered in carpet so a truly expensive needle couldn't even be appreciated.

I want it to sound good and not damage my records, that's about it.

I'm not looking to do microsurgery to replace just the stylus, I want to get the whole head that clicks onto the arm.
By static14
DigitalHiss wrote:
static14 wrote:

Maximum about $50. I don't have incredible speakers/receiver/audiophile designed room covered in carpet so a truly expensive needle couldn't even be appreciated.

I want it to sound good and not damage my records, that's about it.

I'm not looking to do microsurgery to replace just the stylus, I want to get the whole head that clicks onto the arm.
Replacing the stylus is easy. On that cart you just pull it away from the front. No biggie :)
By Jimmy_Mike
I'm up to around 8 years on my Ortofon red. Two questions:

- Am I damaging my records?
- Do I replace cartridge or just needle and can I do that myself?

Salud
By deafmetal
Jimmy_Mike wrote:I'm up to around 8 years on my Ortofon red. Two questions:

Salud
1. It depends on how many hours of active listening, but at eight years it's probably time or you could risk some damage. Check the vendor docs to get a recommended max listening time.

2. Just the needle unless you are looking to upgrade the entire cart. You should be able to pop off the needle portion relatively easily. Here is an example replacement stylus. Check a installation guide or youtube vid if you want more info.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote:I'm up to around 8 years on my Ortofon red. Two questions:

Salud
If you enjoy the Ortofon sound, then I'd recommend upgrading to the 2M Blue stylus which can be done without replacing the cartridge. In my experience, it's a marked improvement.
By static14
@Mateo is right on the mark. The body and generator are the same on the red and blue. So switch out the stylus and you’ve upgraded to a blue.
By Mateo Sanboval
Jimmy_Mike wrote:Thanks, gents. Sounds like it's time.

Get it boi.