General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
This looks interesting, although the idea of framing colored vinyl discs steers this industry even closer to the "art object" side of the fence. I do like framing album cover sleeves though, and I have tried the ones from Ikea -- which are too small for a gatefold sleeve and slightly oversized for a standard sleeve. Go figure.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote:This looks interesting, although the idea of framing colored vinyl discs steers this industry even closer to the "art object" side of the fence. I do like framing album cover sleeves though, and I have tried the ones from Ikea -- which are too small for a gatefold sleeve and slightly oversized for a standard sleeve. Go figure.
Off to the side of this topic: in one place which I moved into back in the day, I decided to cover the whole of one wall of my room with LP sleeves - and it was a big wall! Just bluetacked those bad boys up there, spent a really enjoyable couple of days selecting/positioning them and tacking them up- it looked pretty friggin' bad ass when I'd finished. Felt like a champ.

Felt more like a chump, however, when it came to moving out of that place - and the blue tack tore most of the rear sleeves a new one!! (Of course, this was back in my easy going, habitual 'smoking' days when nothing really seemed to phase me much....those days are LONG GONE friends.)
By inksb
ScoJo wrote:
deafmetal wrote:This looks interesting, although the idea of framing colored vinyl discs steers this industry even closer to the "art object" side of the fence. I do like framing album cover sleeves though, and I have tried the ones from Ikea -- which are too small for a gatefold sleeve and slightly oversized for a standard sleeve. Go figure.
Off to the side of this topic: in one place which I moved into back in the day, I decided to cover the whole of one wall of my room with LP sleeves - and it was a big wall! Just bluetacked those bad boys up there, spent a really enjoyable couple of days selecting/positioning them and tacking them up- it looked pretty friggin' bad ass when I'd finished. Felt like a champ.

Felt more like a chump, however, when it came to moving out of that place - and the blue tack tore most of the rear sleeves a new one!! (Of course, this was back in my easy going, habitual 'smoking' days when nothing really seemed to phase me much....those days are LONG GONE friends.)
I love this story, always wanted to do this but didn't want to ruin my sleeves. I used to be really OCD about protecting all of my records. I bought hundreds of plastic sleeves to store them in. I just don't give a shit any more. I'm not in it for the value of the product, I just want it to sound amazing. I'm sure I'll regret this at some point down the road but oh well, I'll just have to enjoy myself until I get there.
Yeah, I'm looking for it more for the full album of "next on deck/now playing myself. But toally get what you mean.
By Dollarhyde
Tempted to give these a go. Not sure about putting vinyl only on the wall but some coloured vinyl does look pretty purdy. Now if they stuck a back light behind the white plastic to light your room via psychedelic coloured vinyl :D
By havershaw
Sco Jo. I also did a whole wall that way back in the day, although I used thrift store records with cool 50s/60s covers and nothing valuable or expensive. Just stuff with cool graphic design.