General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Baby Huey is legit.
By ChrisMcQueen007
milliondollars wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:Fuck RSD...
absolutely!
Wow, that‘s a strong sentiment/statement. :)

While I‘m aware of all the arguments against RSD (oberhyped, questionable releases, scalpers, ...) I‘m more tending towards a ‚live and let live‘ attitude and actually had a really nice day on Saturday.

My girlfriend joined me and we went to a neighbouring city in the early afternoon, strolled around, enjoyed some ice cream and a cool drink in the sun - and I checked out 4 record shops, had good chats with some of the people there and went home with a handful of nice records (RSD and non-RSD releases).
By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:
milliondollars wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:Fuck RSD...
absolutely!
Wow, that‘s a strong sentiment/statement. :)

While I‘m aware of all the arguments against RSD (oberhyped, questionable releases, scalpers, ...) I‘m more tending towards a ‚live and let live‘ attitude and actually had a really nice day on Saturday.

My girlfriend joined me and we went to a neighbouring city in the early afternoon, strolled around, enjoyed some ice cream and a cool drink in the sun - and I checked out 4 record shops, had good chats with some of the people there and went home with a handful of nice records (RSD and non-RSD releases).
Nice to hear you had a great day. I had a great day as well. I went to see A Quiet Place at 10 am and spend the rest of the day in a sunny garden.
I do not really chat with strange people except the people on this board. And I already bought a lot of records this year. I have some issues I think. One of them is: Fuck RSD.
For me that sentiment does not feel as strong as a it might appear. It is simply that I do not care for RSD. The only good it did bring is that more and more stuff is being released on vinyl and that new people are getting sucked into this beautiful addiction.
By texasvinyl
Anything that gets folks excited about music and records is okay by me. 200 people lined up Saturday morning, everyone seemingly after different stuff. And I think the local shop did gangbusters volume which is great in these days of Amazon domination and increasing rents. For those who didn't want to or couldn't make it out, it seems like most everything is already available for about retail price except for a handful of titles. The shop here had free doughnuts, chicken lunch, free beer & cocktails all day, and live acts + DJs all day. It seems like stores all sold the majority of their stock too and aren't getting stuck with a bunch of chaff they'll never sell, so that's good. I have skipped the most recent ones, but there was some great and diverse stuff on the list this year. This Postales soundtrack is great! And online for just $18 even though it's a lavish package.
By Hatter313
I didn't make it out this year, but to echo what Texas said, anything that keeps this market alive is fine by me.
By reddye6
I was pleasantly surprised by the Godfathers of Hardcore score. If folks are avoiding it because they think it'll be in the punk vein of Agnostic Front songs, note that it isn't. It's low key, electronic, and moody. You can hear a quick sample in the video here: LINK
By blindguy
Does anyone have any tips on where/when to find UK/EU leftovers when they go on sale?
By Bezulsqy
blindguy wrote:Does anyone have any tips on where/when to find UK/EU leftovers when they go on sale?
Transmission will put their remaining releases online Friday at midnight
By maxlevel
I like RSD because it reminds me of record stores when I was a kid, and when Oasis released a single there were queues overnight at my local virgin records. However, I buy a silly amount of records and don’t really need a specific day.

I like a good crossover. In my readings lately I learned that Bush, the radio/tape brand, was started as a transistor radio set sold in the foyer of the Gaumont Cinema in Shepherd’s Bush in West London. Why don’t cinemas sell merchandise? Records, players, tapes, like a little shop in the corner where you can buy the soundtrack of the film you just saw?

When I own my own cinema I will do this.
By Hatter313
maxlevel wrote:I like RSD because it reminds me of record stores when I was a kid, and when Oasis released a single there were queues overnight at my local virgin records. However, I buy a silly amount of records and don’t really need a specific day.

I like a good crossover. In my readings lately I learned that Bush, the radio/tape brand, was started as a transistor radio set sold in the foyer of the Gaumont Cinema in Shepherd’s Bush in West London. Why don’t cinemas sell merchandise? Records, players, tapes, like a little shop in the corner where you can buy the soundtrack of the film you just saw?

When I own my own cinema I will do this.
Drafthouse has started doing this over the last few years. Their distributed titles and some others are all available at my local one at least, and the Brooklyn location has a record store for Mondo/DW titles as well. I think its great idea all around.
By texasvinyl
Yeah they have definitely started to leverage the merchandising and licensing. A lot of the new movies have options to buy a ticket + a BirthMoviesDeath magazine, a special pint glass, pins, t-shirts, records etc. I also noticed their Star Wars pint had Coca Cola branding on it which I hadn't seen them do before.